The Student Room Group

various maths uni questions (oxbridge, MAT exam, LSE satisfaction, warwick??)

1. which is better for maths, oxford or cambridge?? and which colleges specifically.
2. Just started revising for MAT, finding it rly tough despite getting full ums in my maths n further maths AS, any good revision tools/tips??
3. Why is LSE satisfaction rates so low???
4. Didn't get a chance to visit Warwick, whats it like as a uni? I've heard its like marmite to a lot of people..
thank u in advance x
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge is regarded as better
and trinity is regarded as THE college for maths

do all the past MAT papers. do past STEP papers too.

an A prediction in further maths will definitely hinder your chances at oxbridge/imp/ucl/etc. but warwick will likely give you an offer (but their offer will have an a* in FM as a condition). push for an A* as much as possible.
Reply 2
They don't care about your grades too much. Pretty much everyone who applies for cambridge/oxford is a A/A* student. They want to see how you think; that's why they have admissions exams.
Reply 3
Original post by JickDee
Cambridge is regarded as better
and trinity is regarded as THE college for maths

do all the past MAT papers. do past STEP papers too.

an A prediction in further maths will definitely hinder your chances at oxbridge/imp/ucl/etc. but warwick will likely give you an offer (but their offer will have an a* in FM as a condition). push for an A* as much as possible.

Thank you very much! I'll have a look at trinity now :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by shinobixx
Thank you very much! I'll have a look at trinity now :smile:)

bear in mind it is incredibly difficult to get into trinity college cambridge for maths...
Original post by JickDee
bear in mind it is incredibly difficult to get into trinity college cambridge for maths...

Statistically Trinity isn't "harder" than any other - Kings I believe was the least likely to yield an acceptance last year due to getting about half as many applicants as trinity for less than half the number of places.

Of course, applicants to Trinity tend to "self select" to an extent and so weaker applicants may prefer to put in an open application or apply to another. However there isn't much point in doing so as if you're "Cambridge material" then you'll get an offer from some college - which is the exact point of the pooling system.
Reply 6
Original post by JickDee

yeah i know its defo more of a dream than a goal :smile: plus, even tho my grades might make me look like someone who is entirely devoted to their studies, I'm really not, and I dont think I'd be able to survive at such an intense course

im not unrealistic, i know there's a very thin chance of getting in but i might as well try! thank you btw if u have any more general maths/cambridge advice then id be really grateful
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Statistically Trinity isn't "harder" than any other - Kings I believe was the least likely to yield an acceptance last year due to getting about half as many applicants as trinity for less than half the number of places.

Of course, applicants to Trinity tend to "self select" to an extent and so weaker applicants may prefer to put in an open application or apply to another. However there isn't much point in doing so as if you're "Cambridge material" then you'll get an offer from some college - which is the exact point of the pooling system.

statistically its harder to get a direct offer from girton than trinity
however the self selection aspect is very very real
and yes i know about the pooling system but i was just pointing out that getting into trinity specificially (as opposed to cambridge as a whole) is very difficult due to the amount of math prodigies that apply there, so you are more likely to get pooled into a college that may not be of your liking. it may be better to apply to a less competitive college that you know you will like than get pooled from trinity to a college you dont like.
Original post by JickDee
statistically its harder to get a direct offer from girton than trinity
however the self selection aspect is very very real
and yes i know about the pooling system but i was just pointing out that getting into trinity specificially (as opposed to cambridge as a whole) is very difficult due to the amount of math prodigies that apply there, so you are more likely to get pooled into a college that may not be of your liking. it may be better to apply to a less competitive college that you know you will like than get pooled from trinity to a college you dont like.

I think the implication that any of the colleges will be inherently unlikable is fallacious though...
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
I think the implication that any of the colleges will be inherently unlikable is fallacious though...

many people dont like certain colleges
e.g. girton (as its so far away)
Original post by JickDee
many people dont like certain colleges
e.g. girton (as its so far away)

And yet, despite it having such a high number of pooled students, few Girtonians seem to have complaints once they're there...
managed to get the answers to most of my q's thannksss

Isn't it extremely inconsiderate of you to delete the question after getting good answers? There may be others in the same situation as you.
Reply 12
Original post by esrever
Isn't it extremely inconsiderate of you to delete the question after getting good answers? There may be others in the same situation as you.

hi sorry, ive re edited my post with my original q's however most of my answers didnt come from this thread but outside research, didnt mean to be inconsiderate :smile:)
hi sorry, ive re edited my post with my original q's however most of my answers didnt come from this thread but outside research, didnt mean to be inconsiderate :smile:)

Why are you practising MAT if you are going for Cambridge? 50% of Cambridge offers are missed because of STEP so that needs to be your focus once you've covered some content [you are in Y12?]

Have you got good UKMT results? BMO?
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you practising MAT if you are going for Cambridge? 50% of Cambridge offers are missed because of STEP so that needs to be your focus once you've covered some content [you are in Y12?]

Have you got good UKMT results? BMO?

I'm also applying to Imperial which likes MAT to be done if ur application is done before the 15th, I'm in year 13, left everything way too last min hahahah
I'm also applying to Imperial which likes MAT to be done if ur application is done before the 15th, I'm in year 13, left everything way too last min hahahah

Oh, yes you are leaving it late. Can your school beat the deadline with their side of the application?
Reply 16
Oh, yes you are leaving it late. Can your school beat the deadline with their side of the application?

What do you mean? I've registered for the MAT in school and my ucas stuff should all be done by thursday,

i made a mistake in judging MAT, I'd heard it was quite easy compared to the other entrance tests and - seeing as I got full ums in a couple of the maths n further maths modules - I arrogantly thought it wwouldnt be too hard to revise for, which is heavily costing me hahaha
What do you mean? I've registered for the MAT in school and my ucas stuff should all be done by thursday,

i made a mistake in judging MAT, I'd heard it was quite easy compared to the other entrance tests and - seeing as I got full ums in a couple of the maths n further maths modules - I arrogantly thought it wwouldnt be too hard to revise for, which is heavily costing me hahaha

You are still deciding between Oxfrod and Cambridge and colleges - that's what I mean. Thursday is 12th - pushing it if there is an IT issue - ours were submitted last week.
Reply 18
You are still deciding between Oxfrod and Cambridge and colleges - that's what I mean. Thursday is 12th - pushing it if there is an IT issue - ours were submitted last week.

Ah I see, yeah I am definitely pushing it, idk ik its bad but im just rly lazy hahah, good luck with ur application tho!
Ah I see, yeah I am definitely pushing it, idk ik its bad but im just rly lazy hahah, good luck with ur application tho!

I'm a teacher so I was talking about our school's maths applications.

Quick Reply

Latest