The Student Room Group

I can't get over my Oxbridge rejection depression

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
:nope: see here for what happened with me and Cambridge.:redface:

Also thanks to a deeply flawed exam system, I wouldn't have got the grades anyway.:emo:

Awh that sucks, but I don't blame you - you should 100% pick the course you want to do over the university. So did you get into Durham? That'll be my insurance/firm after Oxford if they give me an offer :smile:)
Original post by Cxletteee
Awh that sucks, but I don't blame you - you should 100% pick the course you want to do over the university. So did you get into Durham? That'll be my insurance/firm after Oxford if they give me an offer :smile:)
Sadly not (thanks AQA :shakecane: a candidate can obviously get 48 and 24 in two equally weighted exams:angry:)

I'm at Keele and happy though. :smile:
Original post by PoliticsandP
This is just like me, I got rejected from Cambridge last year. Weirdly, I was supposed to also being going KCL and got 4A* haha. I'm currently on a gap year and just sent my application off for Cambridge again. But the main reason was that I changed subject, I hated the subject I was previously doing and I think my lack of enthusiasm showed in the interview. I probably would have gone to King's if I stayed with the same subject. I don't really see Oxbridge as the be all and end all, I just thought I'd be stupid not to re-apply with my grades! I think King's is still top notch, but if Oxbridge is really important to you, go for it!

I almost wish I had taken a gap year and then it would be easier to apply to Cambridge but I'm at Kings now and the deadline for application is the 15th of October. I feel like it's too short of a turn around
Original post by 04MR17
Sadly not (thanks AQA :shakecane: a candidate can obviously get 48 and 24 in two equally weighted exams:angry:)

I'm at Keele and happy though. :smile:

That's a shame :frown: which exam was it that let you down? It's good that you're happy at Keele though!!
Original post by Cxletteee
That's a shame :frown: which exam was it that let you down? It's good that you're happy at Keele though!!
The first exam of the two. Both went absolutely fine I felt, yet AQA somehow think that those numbers are justifiable. Despite, well, logic.

To save us de-railing this thread any more, feel free to VM or PM me with any more questions.:wink:
Original post by Serena k poodles
I applied to Cambridge last year and was interviewed at Kings College Cambridge after years of dreaming of getting in and working really hard. I did this despite being from a very low income background, with no academic parents or support. However, I messed up in my interview really badly because of how nervous and unprepared I was. I have obviously read quite a lot (applied for English Literature) but I hadn't read all of the classical texts they probably wanted me to, didn't know how to respond to that environment and just kept saying the first thing that came to my head rather than thinking about the question. I didn't act like myself at all! I'm at Kings College London now and although I like it, I still feel like the Cambridge course was the dream because of how comprehensive it was, and I'm constantly self-deprecating myself because I feel like I was just so unintelligent in the interview. I keep thinking about how much happier I would be at a smaller college like Newnham College Cambridge, which I had wanted to apply to in the first place but was discouraged by someone who said it wasn't as good. I don't know how to get over Cambridge because I think I would probably get rejected if I applied again due to how nervous i get in interviews, but I find it so hard to let go of because I worked so hard and got 4 A* at a-level and have wanted it for so long.

Late to the party, but I felt I had to contribute.

Sorry you’re experiencing this. I’m graduated now from a different university after never even applying to Cambridge (I did go to a special classics seminar at Gonville & Caius for ‘promising’ students from my sixth form and also to an open day at the same college) and I still get occasional bouts of Cambridge fever.

KCL is a very solid alternative for unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants in my opinion, though. If you enrol in the program to become an Associate of KCL you’re required to take classes in theology, history and philosophy and sit an exam at the end of the third year of your undergrad to be awarded associateship. This can provide some of the extra breadth you feel is missing from your course compared to Cambridge. My friend who studied Human Biology (or something similar) at KCL did the Associateship and found it to be an intellectually enriching experience and wholly worthwhile. Plus you get an additional certificate at the end of it all! And if you get a first in your actual degree it’ll be hard to fault you academically, Oxbridge or not!
(edited 6 years ago)
I applied to Cambridge last year and was interviewed at Kings College Cambridge after years of dreaming of getting in and working really hard. I did this despite being from a very low income background, with no academic parents or support. However, I messed up in my interview really badly because of how nervous and unprepared I was. I have obviously read quite a lot (applied for English Literature) but I hadn't read all of the classical texts they probably wanted me to, didn't know how to respond to that environment and just kept saying the first thing that came to my head rather than thinking about the question. I didn't act like myself at all! I'm at Kings College London now and although I like it, I still feel like the Cambridge course was the dream because of how comprehensive it was, and I'm constantly self-deprecating myself because I feel like I was just so unintelligent in the interview. I keep thinking about how much happier I would be at a smaller college like Newnham College Cambridge, which I had wanted to apply to in the first place but was discouraged by someone who said it wasn't as good. I don't know how to get over Cambridge because I think I would probably get rejected if I applied again due to how nervous i get in interviews, but I find it so hard to let go of because I worked so hard and got 4 A* at a-level and have wanted it for so long.

i got the University of Nottingham, and sometimes i think about the kid who really wanted to go to Nottingham but didnt get in, and it makes me appreciate that im lucky to be here, now obviously its not the best university in the world but in the grand scheme of it, its quite respectable. You should do the same, realize that when your at a high ranking uni you have a place that someone else wanted. Rather then dwelling on not getting into Cambridge. Your at Kings College London, thats not exactly Leeds trinity lol. I actually know a girl who goes to Nottingham and she was crushed because she missed her Kings offer. *IELTS score* So feel better, get a first and do your postgrad at Cambridge, besides school on saturdays succckkssss.
Reply 27
Hey guys I fully understand where you are all coming from. I'm actually a step on, and am currently taking a gap year. I was rejected with out interview for the second time. I can't help feeling that I've wasted two years of my life, and I can only imagine what my life would be like in a different time where I had put some different answer down on the test or if my PS had some minor change to it. I'm trying really hard to move on but actually it's not that easy.
While I have two non oxford offers, I'm worrying that I will always wonder what could have been.
I want to move on, but I simply don't know how to.
KCL can surely be fun. I did my BA there in Philosophy and also got rejected from Cambridge. Now, im doing my Masters at Oxford (

"Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together" ~ Marilyn Monroe
So, 2 years later, are you over it yet? I'm not, because I hate it where I am.
Same, got rejected from Manchester and feel like there’s no other option for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending