The Student Room Group

What to study at uni? Childhood studies/Early childhood studies

Hi,
I'm currently study level 3 dimploa in childcare and education. I have written my personal statement and it is completed. I recieved a grade B for my level 3 certifcate in childcare and ecucation and aiming for the same or higher this year. My dream career would be to become a primary school teacher however due to my science grade i am unable to study primary education :frown:. i just wanted some adivce on the following degrees

Ba(Hons) Early childhood studies
Ba(Hons) Childhood studies

I am also struggling to decide which universities are the best to study these degrees at :frown:

From what i can see childhood studies is more like what i do now but in more detail and wider context and early childhood studies goes into history, sociology etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Elle
Original post by Elleee1234
Hi,
I'm currently study level 3 dimploa in childcare and education. I have written my personal statement and it is completed. I recieved a grade B for my level 3 certifcate in childcare and ecucation and aiming for the same or higher this year. My dream career would be to become a primary school teacher however due to my science grade i am unable to study primary education :frown:. i just wanted some adivce on the following degrees

I am also struggling to decide which universities are the best to study these degrees at :frown:

From what i can see childhood studies is more like what i do now but in more detail and wider context and early childhood studies goes into history, sociology etc.

Thanks
Elle

Hi :smile:

Im a first year studying Early Childhood Studies and im hoping to become a primary school teacher too :biggrin:

I dont know much about Childhood Studies but i know for ECS (especially at my uni) it covers a wide range of holistic topics- history, sociology, psychology, health, education etc

I might be a bit bias but i do think this is a good course. As it's quite broad it allows you to go into various jobs in this sector.

Do you know what universities youre applying to or are interested in?
Reply 2
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Hi :smile:

Im a first year studying Early Childhood Studies and im hoping to become a primary school teacher too :biggrin:

I dont know much about Childhood Studies but i know for ECS (especially at my uni) it covers a wide range of holistic topics- history, sociology, psychology, health, education etc

I might be a bit bias but i do think this is a good course. As it's quite broad it allows you to go into various jobs in this sector.

Do you know what universities youre applying to or are interested in?

Thank you so much for applying :smile:

I was wondering would you be able to tell me where you are studying

The ones i have looked at are
university of wolverhampton
birmingham city univeristy
univeristy of derby
university of northampton

I live in birmingham but i want to more than move out of the famliy home
Reply 3
You could always do gcse science at college or level 2 equivalent.

I’ve heard you can do secondary teaching then go into primary school teaching so you have both options available. You could always study the early childhood studies or childhood studies then do gcse science alongside because I think you need it for pgce.

I’ve opted for a different degree all together, may do pgce later if I want to into teaching :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ishax
You could always do gcse science at college or level 2 equivalent.

I’ve heard you can do secondary teaching then go into primary school teaching so you have both options available. You could always study the early childhood studies or childhood studies then do gcse science alongside because I think you need it for pgce.

I’ve opted for a different degree all together, may do pgce later if I want to into teaching :smile:

thank you for you reply :smile:

yeah but im currently doing maths at college so therefore would end up doing science alongside my degree
Thank you so much for applying :smile:

I was wondering would you be able to tell me where you are studying

The ones i have looked at are
university of wolverhampton
birmingham city univeristy
univeristy of derby
university of northampton

I live in birmingham but i want to more than move out of the famliy home

The unis i have applied to were:
University of Suffolk
Hertfordshire
Anglia Ruskin
Roehampton

Decided to go to Suffolk in the end. I feel like not many people wouldve heard of this place but its one of the UKs newest university. A bit small but the people here are really nice
Reply 6
thank you for you reply :smile:

yeah but im currently doing maths at college so therefore would end up doing science alongside my degree

Do you need it for PGCE? If not, then don’t bother :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Ishax
Do you need it for PGCE? If not, then don’t bother :smile:

yeah you do i just checked theres no way of me getting out off it :frown:
Reply 8
yeah you do i just checked theres no way of me getting out off it :frown:

You’re going to have to do it at university then, it’s better to get it out of the way now rather than later.
Hi,

Thanks
Elle

Hi Elle,

Have you had a look at Hertfordshire? We offer Early Childhood Education and Education Studies degrees. You can take a look at our videos to give you a taster of our Early Childhood Education course and what it involves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=82&v=AmNhvv1ey_o and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prFhuMEJhoE

In your second year you'll undertake a work placement in an early childhood setting for approximately 22 days.

We've got an open day coming up this Sunday, and we'll be streaming it live on Facebook if you want to have a look around campus!

If you've got any questions, just let us know.

Thanks,
Heather
Hi,

Thanks
Elle
Hiya Elle:hi:

I am not sure what you're referring to as a BA in Childhood Studies since none of the Universities you've listed offer a course with that title.

Are you referring to Education Studies?

The courses those Universities Offer

Original post by 04MR17
Hiya Elle:hi:

I am not sure what you're referring to as a BA in Childhood Studies since none of the Universities you've listed offer a course with that title.

Are you referring to Education Studies?

The courses those Universities Offer

Sorry

Childhood studies is at
University college Birmingham
University of Bristol
Nottingham Trent university
As far as I am aware there is a few other tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending