The Student Room Group

Orbitals numbers help

Hey Guys kinda need help understanding the orbitals stuff

Basically, its saying that if you have a shell of n=2 you can only get s and p orbitals, but why does Lithium not have p orbitals but it has n=2. And also, it also says that a shell of n=4 can have s,p, d and f orbitals, can someone give an example of how you can get an f orbital with n=4.

Thanks!
Original post by Hgdfu
Hey Guys kinda need help understanding the orbitals stuff

Basically, its saying that if you have a shell of n=2 you can only get s and p orbitals, but why does Lithium not have p orbitals but it has n=2. And also, it also says that a shell of n=4 can have s,p, d and f orbitals, can someone give an example of how you can get an f orbital with n=4.

Thanks!

Lithium only has one electron in its' outer shell and this goes into the 2s orbital. Lithium doesn't have enough electrons to start filling p orbitals.

"f" is just a label given to the fourth type of orbital. This is available when n=4 or higher, just like d is available when n=3 or more, etc.
Unless you are midway through your chemistry degree you only need to know that there are seven f orbitals once you reach n=4, and perhaps at what point they start filling. Google "aufbau principle" to see when they start filling.
Even in a chemistry degree you wouldn't need to know much more. Don't worry too much about f orbitals.
Reply 2
Original post by Hgdfu
Lithium not have p orbitals

It does have p orbitals, it is just that there are no e- in them.

I have a box that I can keep a million pounds in. It is just that it is, rather unfortunately, empty right now.
Ah so Lithium does have P-orbitals but just doesnt use it, if that makes sense.
Finally if a question asks if the prinicipal quantum number of a shell is eqaual to 2, what types of orbitals will be present?

A) S
B) S and P
C) S, P and D

The answer would be B correct?
Original post by Pigster

I have a box that I can keep a million pounds in. It is just that it is, rather unfortunately, empty right now.

if lithium has 3 electrons shouldn't its electron configuration be 1s2 2s1? are u trying to say that bc it has n=2 then the p orbitals are present but they're empty? sorry kinda confused
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hgdfu
Finally if a question asks if the prinicipal quantum number of a shell is eqaual to 2, what types of orbitals will be present?

A) S
B) S and P
C) S, P and D

Original post by Pigster

That's going to get confusing. All atoms have all orbitals in all shells! Mostly empty orbitals and shells.
That doesn't help much with electronic structure though.
Reply 6
Original post by Hgdfu

A) S
B) S and P
C) S, P and D

Yes.
Original post by Hgdfu

A) S
B) S and P
C) S, P and D

In this case yes. An unnamed element with principle quantum number 2 may have electrons in p orbitals so the answer is B.
Reply 8
Original post by ggxsywes
then the p orbitals are present but they're empty?

Exactly that.

But, as TutorsChemistry points out, it might confuzzle if you worry about it when filling shells.

WRT to your theoretical Q, I don't think you would get asked that questions, perhaps which orbitals are used, rather which orbitals are present.

Quick Reply

Latest