The Student Room Group

Calculation on chem

IMG_8537.PNGHi, can someone help me on question 1 part b (vi) and part d(i). Please and thank you
Attachment not found
Reply 1
Original post by Snowie9
IMG_8537.PNGHi, can someone help me on question 1 part b (vi) and part d(i). Please and thank you
Attachment not found

IMG_8539.PNGHere's the answer for the first few questions before question 1 part (vi). I just couldn't understand how to get the answer for that and for the balancing equation, can someone teach me how. I tried balancing the oxidation number but still couldn't get it
Reply 2
The answer for b part iv) is derived from the part iii), in part iii) we found out that the moles of MnO4- used in the reaction was 3 x 10^-4 mol.

Since 5 moles of Fe2+ reacts with 1 mole of MnO4-, the moles of Fe2+ actually used was 5 x (3 x 10^-4)
Reply 3
Original post by Metanoia
The answer for b part iv) is derived from the part iii), in part iii) we found out that the moles of MnO4- used in the reaction was 3 x 10^-4 mol.

Since 5 moles of Fe2+ reacts with 1 mole of MnO4-, the moles of Fe2+ actually used was 5 x (3 x 10^-4)

No, i'm asking for question b last part, calculate the mass of copper that could be dissolved
Reply 4
Original post by Snowie9
No, i'm asking for question b last part, calculate the mass of copper that could be dissolved

Oh, sorry, I misread

TSR.PNG

From part v) we have figured out that of the 1.5M of Fe3+, 0.6 M has been converted in Fe2+.

This means that the concentration of Fe3+ in the remaining mixture is 0.9M

To know the amount of copper that can react with this 100 cm^3 of this mixture.
a) moles of Fe3+ in 100 cm^3 = 0.9 x 0.1 = 0.09 moles
b) moles of copper that will react (based on the first equation) = 0.09/2 = 0.045
c) mass of copper = 0.045 x Ar of copper
Reply 5
Oh, sorry, I misread

TSR.PNG

From part v) we have figured out that of the 1.5M of Fe3+, 0.6 M has been converted in Fe2+.

This means that the concentration of Fe3+ in the remaining mixture is 0.9M

To know the amount of copper that can react with this 100 cm^3 of this mixture.
a) moles of Fe3+ in 100 cm^3 = 0.9 x 0.1 = 0.09 moles
b) moles of copper that will react (based on the first equation) = 0.09/2 = 0.045
c) mass of copper = 0.045 x Ar of copper

I see! Thanks so much! Would you mind helping me on part d(i)? I couldn't balance the equation
Reply 6
Original post by Snowie9
I see! Thanks so much! Would you mind helping me on part d(i)? I couldn't balance the equation

I assumed that you had no difficulty figuring out the respective oxidation numbers of Si and H before and after the reaction.

The tricky part was to determine the ratio of moles of SiO2 formed with H2.

The total increase in oxidation numbers must be equal to the total decrease in oxidation numbers.
TSR.PNG
Therefore SiO2 : H2 is 1:4
Reply 7
I assumed that you had no difficulty figuring out the respective oxidation numbers of Si and H before and after the reaction.

The tricky part was to determine the ratio of moles of SiO2 formed with H2.

The total increase in oxidation numbers must be equal to the total decrease in oxidation numbers.
TSR.PNG
Therefore SiO2 : H2 is 1:4

Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply

Latest