The Student Room Group

Momemnts -Maths Mechanics

The total mass of two children is 60kg. They are sitting on a seesaw one at each end.
Find their separate masses.
-Child 1 is 1.6 metres from the centre and child 2 is 1.4 metres from the centre?

Any hints? please help
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by joyoustele
The total mass of two children is 60kg. They are sitting on a seesaw
-Child 1 is 1.6 metres from the centre and child 2 is 1.4 metres from the centre?

Any hints? please help

Draw a diagram.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Draw a diagram.

I did.
-Should I do trial and error to find their separate masses?
As their combined moment should be equal to 0? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Take moments about the pivot point. That will give you an equation that relates m1 and m2. The question also tells you that m1 + m2 = 60. Solve simultaneously or by substitution.
I did.
-Should I do trial and error to find their separate masses?
As their combined moment should be =0

Trial and error is a waste of time if there is a solid systematic way of getting the answers.

Say their masses are m1kgm_1 \mathrm{kg} and m2kgm_2 \mathrm{kg} respectively.

You know that m1+m2=60m_1+m_2=60

Mark on the reaction force in the middle of the seesaw, what would it be?

Then use one kid as a pivot, and calculate moments from there and work out the mass of the other kid.

There isn't much to the context from what you've said so I just assume the seesaw is perfectly horizontal with the system in equilibrium.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Trial and error is a waste of time if there is a solid systematic way of getting the answers.

Say their masses are m1kgm_1 \mathrm{kg} and m2kgm_2 \mathrm{kg} respectively.

You know that m1+m2=60m_1+m_2=60

Mark on the reaction force in the middle of the seesaw, what would it be?

Then use one kid as a pivot, and calculate moments from there and work out the mass of the other kid.

There isn't much to the context from what you've said so I just assume the seesaw is perfectly horizontal with the system in equilibrium.

m1g1.6(60m1)g1.4=60gm_1 g1.6 -(60-m_1)g1.4=60g - is this the right equation?
Reply 6
Original post by old_engineer
Take moments about the pivot point. That will give you an equation that relates m1 and m2. The question also tells you that m1 + m2 = 60. Solve simultaneously or by substitution.

m1g1.6(60m1)g1.4=60g m_1 g1.6 -(60-m_1)g1.4=60g is this right?
m1g1.6(60m1)g1.4=60g m_1 g1.6 -(60-m_1)g1.4=60g is this right?

No. Where did the right hand side come from?
Reply 8
No. Where did the right hand side come from?

Reaction force for the total mass
Reply 9
I haven't been taught moments yet, im trying to learn it before we start
Reaction force for the total mass

OK, moments gives you 1.6(m1)g = 1.4(m2)g. Clockwise moment equals anti-clockwise moment, as the system is in equilibrium. Now proceed from there with the substitution you already worked out from m1 + m2 = 60.
OK, moments gives you 1.6(m1)g = 1.4(m2)g. Clockwise moment equals anti-clockwise moment, as the system is in equilibrium. Now proceed from there with the substitution you already worked out from m1 + m2 = 60.

Thank you very much :smile:
I get m1 is 35kg and m2=25kg
Thank you very much :smile:
I get m1 is 35kg and m2=25kg

That's not right. You need to check those numbers in the moments equation then check your arithmetic.
The total mass of two children is 60kg. They are sitting on a seesaw one at each end.

Any hints? please help

Set the mass of child 1 to be x and the mass of child 2 to be 60-x. The moment is equal to the force times the distance from the pivot, so find the moments for each child. The total moment should be 0, and the two moments are in opposite directions, so set them equal to each other!

Don't try to do it with two variables. If you can easily eliminate one (as I did with the 60-x bit), do so.
That's not right. You need to check those numbers in the moments equation then check your arithmetic.

oops I meant 28Kg for M1 and 32 for M2

m1 should be 84g/3g =28
Original post by TheMindGarage
Set the mass of child 1 to be x and the mass of child 2 to be 60-x. The moment is equal to the force times the distance from the pivot, so find the moments for each child. The total moment should be 0, and the two moments are in opposite directions, so set them equal to each other!

Don't try to do it with two variables. If you can easily eliminate one (as I did with the 60-x bit), do so.

that's the first method I tried, I couldn't solve it. Maybe I went wrong in my calculations.
oops I meant 28Kg for M1 and 32 for M2

m1 should be 84g/3g =28

Yes that's it. You should always be looking for quick consistency checks you can apply to your answers.
that's the first method I tried, I couldn't solve it. Maybe I went wrong in my calculations.

1.6x = 1.4(60-x)
1.6x = 84 - 1.4x
3x = 84
x = 28

Should be 28kg and 32kg, as you managed to get earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest