The Student Room Group

Exeter MEDICAL SCHOOL

if you have A*A*A*A prediction which places you into tier 1, could you still be cut off by ukcat score or does that give you an automatic interview

Scroll to see replies

I think you still have to meet their ukcat cutoff
Reply 2
Original post by ArcaneMists
I think you still have to meet their ukcat cutoff

what is there ukcat cut off
Original post by Rachelod21

Not sure but it varies I think maybe around 630? Not sure.

Original post by ArcaneMists
Not sure but it varies I think maybe around 630? Not sure.

Last year for tier 2 (so the highest available for those with predicted grades) their UKCAT cutoff was 2000, so 667 average. So many were rejected with 3 A* predicted and UKCAT that was still above the average for last year's cohort...
Reply 5
Original post by DesperateMedic
Last year for tier 2 (so the highest available for those with predicted grades) their UKCAT cutoff was 2000, so 667 average. So many were rejected with 3 A* predicted and UKCAT that was still above the average for last year's cohort...
so if i have 602 average but with A*A*A*A prediction im likely to be cut off
so if i have 602 average but with A*A*A*A prediction im likely to be cut off

Yeah, most likely. Then again, this year things might vary slightly but I don't think the cutoff would go down to less than 640 to be honest. Sorry! :frown:
I called Exeter and asked them how they use the UKCAT. They said they have a threshold that you have to get. 3A*s does put you at tier 1, which means that they won't rank you according to your UKCAT, however ypu have to meet the threshold. They do rank tier 2 and 3 according to the UKCAT. They use the personal statement when judging between 2 similar candidates. I spoke to them a while ago, so don't quote me!
Original post by julian11
I called Exeter and asked them how they use the UKCAT. They said they have a threshold that you have to get. 3A*s does put you at tier 1, which means that they won't rank you according to your UKCAT, however ypu have to meet the threshold. They do rank tier 2 and 3 according to the UKCAT. They use the personal statement when judging between 2 similar candidates. I spoke to them a while ago, so don't quote me!

That is true, however tier 1 is only for those who achieved 3 A*, not those who are predicted. Predictions of 3A* and above put an applicant in Tier 2.
Reply 9
Yeah, most likely. Then again, this year things might vary slightly but I don't think the cutoff would go down to less than 640 to be honest. Sorry! :frown:
how do you know this for sure

Last year, the cutoff was 667 so it is likely it won't decrease by over 27 points. However, obviously no one can know for sure as not everyone has applied- it all depends on the quality of applications they receive this year. If you are set on exeter then go for it but its going to be risky.

Looking at previous threads, and calling Exeter admissions twice. I was interested in applying there myself, but after being told last year's cutoff was 667 average I decided not to risk it (got slightly below that average myself).
I might not know for sure, but I'm following the pattern. The average this year is two points lower than last year's, but I doubt the cutoff score will decrease/ not be included this year.

It's just the information I have and it'd be a shame if you were unaware of this information, applied, and got rejected. But then again, do as you wish because it might change this year and I'd rather not take the blame :P
Looking at previous threads, and calling Exeter admissions twice. I was interested in applying there myself, but after being told last year's cutoff was 667 average I decided not to risk it (got slightly below that average myself).
I might not know for sure, but I'm following the pattern. The average this year is two points lower than last year's, but I doubt the cutoff score will decrease/ not be included this year.

It's just the information I have and it'd be a shame if you were unaware of this information, applied, and got rejected. But then again, do as you wish because it might change this year and I'd rather not take the blame :P

where are you applying for this year
where are you applying for this year

Cambridge, Imperial, Leicester, and Aberdeen. So 50:50 between UKCAT and BMAT.
Cambridge, Imperial, Leicester, and Aberdeen. So 50:50 between UKCAT and BMAT.

what was ur ukcat average
what was ur ukcat average

Roughly 660. My PGs (4A*) are the reason why I didn't go for 3 BMAT unis.
Roughly 660. My PGs (4A*) are the reason why I didn't go for 3 BMAT unis.
ive just rung exeter and they said that they sometimes cut off in tier 1, sometimes in tier 2. the cut off ukcat score is normally around 2250 and above
ive just rung exeter and they said that they sometimes cut off in tier 1, sometimes in tier 2. the cut off ukcat score is normally around 2250 and above

I'm just passing on what I've been told when I called, and what I've observed from the last years. If you want, apply. No-one can stop you.
I'm just passing on what I've been told when I called, and what I've observed from the last years. If you want, apply. No-one can stop you.

i know im just saying
Original post by Mac117
That is true, however tier 1 is only for those who achieved 3 A*, not those who are predicted. Predictions of 3A* and above put an applicant in Tier 2.

How can you achieve 3A*s before applying? We won't have done any A levels and we don't really have AS as well. Surely they judge the candidate according to GCSE, UKCAT and predicted grades. I'm so sorry, I'm so confused

Quick Reply

Latest