The Student Room Group

What do mature students do during the summer?

Considering that (a) you are probably unlikely to get a full-time jobto support yourself over the summer seeing as you're going to have to quit after a couple of months; and (b) you might not be able to move in with your parents over the summer like the younger students do... Where do you go?? What do you do??

As a 'younger' mature student, it wouldn't be too strange for me to move back in with my folks, and I know they'd be cool with it. Still - I'd like to know what the alternatives are!
Original post by hh1994
Considering that (a) you are probably unlikely to get a full-time jobto support yourself over the summer seeing as you're going to have to quit after a couple of months; and (b) you might not be able to move in with your parents over the summer like the younger students do... Where do you go?? What do you do??

As a 'younger' mature student, it wouldn't be too strange for me to move back in with my folks, and I know they'd be cool with it. Still - I'd like to know what the alternatives are!

A lot of mature students hold down part time jobs termtime so take them on fulltime in summer.
A lot of mature students have their own houses so don't need to worry about where to live :tongue:

For your circumstances- I'd either expect you to take up Full time hours in a role over the summer and stay in your current accommodation or move home with your family. There are lots of student summer jobs that are full time.
Reply 2
Original post by Friffinghell
A lot of mature students hold down part time jobs termtime so take them on fulltime in summer.
A lot of mature students have their own houses so don't need to worry about where to live :tongue:

For your circumstances- I'd either expect you to take up Full time hours in a role over the summer and stay in your current accommodation or move home with your family. There are lots of student summer jobs that are full time.

Thanks. I think I'd prefer the latter! Better for the job prospects and the self esteem.

I'd actually been holding off on getting a part-time job (even though I REALLY need one!), as I didn't think employers would be interested in hiring a part-timer just to have them disappear in the holidays. Also, I'm London-based and living in Halls, so a typical part-time job (bar work, shop assistant, etc.) probably wouldn't allow me to live in the city even if I extended my hours in the summer.

Any tips on finding a part-time job that pays more than the average?
I spent 4 weeks teaching conversational English in Poland and Hungary through an Irish company called The TEFL Institute. Must admit I was sceptical at first because it included hotel accommodation and food. It was amazing to get to know all the kids and feel like you're helping them with their English skills, and the whole experience helped to teach me new skills and boost my confidence too. It's quite an intense and tiring experience so I would maybe recommend taking some breaks in between camps, but would definitely recommend!
Reply 4
Original post by thesinginglark
I spent 4 weeks teaching conversational English in Poland and Hungary through an Irish company called The TEFL Institute. Must admit I was sceptical at first because it included hotel accommodation and food. It was amazing to get to know all the kids and feel like you're helping them with their English skills, and the whole experience helped to teach me new skills and boost my confidence too. It's quite an intense and tiring experience so I would maybe recommend taking some breaks in between camps, but would definitely recommend!

Is it this one? https://www.theteflacademy.com
I've spent the last 3 years of my life working my ass off for 6 months of the year then going traveling for the rest of the year. the same kind of applies to university. If you've got good skills and in the right sector it's quite easy to get jobs short term, I do it all around the world on working holiday visas
Reply 6
Is it easy to find permanent year-round student accommodation? I'm guessing most students go back home in the summer, but that won't be an option for me...
your mum :sexface:
Mature students teach themselves to code to compliment their formal academic study.

Something tells me this is not what you meant by mature.
Reply 9
Original post by marshalld67
I've spent the last 3 years of my life working my ass off for 6 months of the year then going traveling for the rest of the year. the same kind of applies to university. If you've got good skills and in the right sector it's quite easy to get jobs short term, I do it all around the world on working holiday visas

What kind of work do you do?
Original post by hh1994
What kind of work do you do?

hospitality aka restaurants cafes and bars. in the UK it's easy to get plenty of hours in those jobs because there's no hour max like other places

but you have to be a certain type of person to survive in this industry. If you don't like being extra kind and working anti social hours often don't do it
I do occasional catering on top of that, in London I think it's around £8 h but you can get more if you work hard and know what you're doing and the right people, it's also casual work so good for students. coffee is good for a morning job where you can work other jobs in the evening but average pay, restaurants are good all round if you get the right company - I do fine dining now and it's bloody brilliant
After first year, I went to a summer school in the US for a month (uni gave me money towards the costs) and then worked at the Fringe Festival for a month.

After second year, I went back to the US for three months for an internship. Again, uni gave me money towards travel costs.

After third year, before starting work full time, I had a summer internship in the UK.

My uni let me keep my room when I needed it during the holidays and gave me extra money towards covering the costs of that.

Basically, see if your uni has funds to help with summer travel!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending