The Student Room Group

What is A level Psychology really like?

If any one studies A level Phychology, can you tell me what it is really like. Is it interesting? Is it demanding? Stuff like that...thanks
I wouldn't say that psychology is hard but there's a lot to remember. For every topic you look at there's usually 1 or 2 experiments to remember and they each have about 4 evaluation points you need to know. I think there's something like 167 evaluation points for the AS year alone (at least there was for me. It's very interesting; the only part I don't really like is the bio psych but that's probably because I hate biology
Reply 2
I find it quite interesting and it's the least demanding of my 3 subjects (psychology, English literature and french). We do a lot on different theories that psychologist have come up with and looking at studies that psychologists have come up with to support these theories. There are some really interesting topics and then some quite dull ones as well. For me I didn't like statistics or research methods where a bit of maths and science was involved but that was only one topic. Overall it is my favourite subject and I would recommend it if you are interested in how people behave and think and why they do this. (Also there aren't really many right or wrong answers in psychology for how things work, a lot of it is still up for debate which means that quite often at the end of a topic, we have to do essays on research to support a certain theory and research that goes against it.)
Reply 3
Original post by Blue tak
I find it quite interesting and it's the least demanding of my 3 subjects (psychology, English literature and french). We do a lot on different theories that psychologist have come up with and looking at studies that psychologists have come up with to support these theories. There are some really interesting topics and then some quite dull ones as well. For me I didn't like statistics or research methods where a bit of maths and science was involved but that was only one topic. Overall it is my favourite subject and I would recommend it if you are interested in how people behave and think and why they do this. (Also there aren't really many right or wrong answers in psychology for how things work, a lot of it is still up for debate which means that quite often at the end of a topic, we have to do essays on research to support a certain theory and research that goes against it.)

Sounds alright...I’ll have to find out about what’s included in the course.
Original post by AD001
Sounds alright...I’ll have to find out about what’s included in the course.

I can tell you the topics for AQA?
Reply 5
Original post by Ginger_
I can tell you the topics for AQA?

Yes please
Original post by AD001
Yes please

For paper1 you do research methods, social influence, attachment, psychopathology and memory. For paper 2 you continue research methods as well as approaches and biopsychology and for paper 3 you do issues and debates as well as
Either gender or relationships or cognition and development
And either schizophrenia or eating behaviours or stress
And either aggression or forensic psychology or addiction
The paper 3 topics depend on your college

Quick Reply

Latest