The Student Room Group

stubble at 16

so I'm 16 and I have a moustache above my upper lip, side burns and light hairs on my chin and neck etc.

there are people in my year at school that have stubble, even people in the year below! when I say they have stubble I don't mean that they have a full on beard, I mean they just have light stubble which is noticeable.

The problem is I do want facial hair as I think it makes me look more mature but i' d rather have stubble than a hairs if you know what I mean? does shaving give you stubble? it's just when I shave I do get stubble above my upper lip but not anywhere else, I can feel it where my side burns are but you can't see it.
I feel very confident that google can answer this question
Original post by Anonymous
so I'm 16 and I have a moustache above my upper lip, side burns and light hairs on my chin and neck etc.

there are people in my year at school that have stubble, even people in the year below! when I say they have stubble I don't mean that they have a full on beard, I mean they just have light stubble which is noticeable.

The problem is I do want facial hair as I think it makes me look more mature but i' d rather have stubble than a hairs if you know what I mean? does shaving give you stubble? it's just when I shave I do get stubble above my upper lip but not anywhere else, I can feel it where my side burns are but you can't see it.

Stubble comes from shaving. It's the blunt end of the hairs that are growing in but have been cut.

Remember that everyone is different and for some- facial hair just doesn't really happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Friffinghell
Stubble comes from shaving. It's the blunt end of the hairs that are growing in but have been cut.

Remember that everyone is different and for some- facial hair just doesn't really happen.

is there any particular way I can get it? I use a razor. I have a Remington electric trimmer thing. would that give me stubble?
You are to a good start. Just use beard care stuff and oils, it will nourish and encourage beard growth. Well you beard will be more noticeable in your 20s. I recommend you to follow alpha m. on YouTube. He has great advice for guys like you :h:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
You are to a good start. Just use beard oils, it will nourish and encourage beard growth. Well you beard will be more noticeable in your 20s.

I will try that. does it look stupid a 16 year old having facial hair? some people say that but then if I had none id feel like I was 10 again

It j
I will try that. does it look stupid a 16 year old having facial hair? some people say that but then if I had none id feel like I was 10 again

Pretty much everyone in my 6th form 16-18 are clean shaven

Bro, if you feel good about having a beard then go for it, don't worry about what people say, it's your own choice. If it gives the confidence, why not give it a try:wink:. I recommend you to follow Alpha m. on YouTube, he does great job motivating young men like you.
(edited 6 years ago)
is there any particular way I can get it? I use a razor. I have a Remington electric trimmer thing. would that give me stubble?

If you trim your facial hair it will grow in as stubble. But if it is sparse at the moment- it is not going to grow in thicker or quicker or anything like that- you will just have sparse stubble.
A lot of my friends who are 17 and 18 have proper beards. I myself had facial hair when I was 13 years old and have been shaving since I was 14. For the past 2 years, I shave everyday because that's how bad it is :colondollar: The only thing you need to do is wait and let it come. And no, it doesn't look weird for a 16 year old to have a beard. Some people actually look quite sick with a stubble/beard.
Original post by Friffinghell
If you trim your facial hair it will grow in as stubble. But if it is sparse at the moment- it is not going to grow in thicker or quicker or anything like that- you will just have sparse stubble.

Yeah I think i do have sparse facial hair. the side burns don't cover my whole face/cheek if you know what I mean

dude lots of people have facial hair at 16 and often younger. whether you should grow it or shave it probably depends on how it looks, how developed it is, and how much there is. there's always that one kid with some wirey, thin underdeveloped vellus hairs on his face who either doesn't know how to shave or thinks it's a "beard". on the other hand if it's coming through nicely and is properly developed then it should look good and a stubble will come through when you shave it. however if your hairs aren't coming through yet, then there's not much to do but wait.

All due respect, if u have a moustache on its own with no other facial hair, i would get rid of it as it tends to give off the paedo vibe
All due respect, if u have a moustache on its own with no other facial hair, i would get rid of it as it tends to give off the paedo vibe

I do, I have side burns

an electronic razor with different heads would work best as you are able to choose how close cut you wish to have.

do not use disposable razor blades or other non-electronic products as these are designed for a more close cut smooth skin feel.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest