The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance at medicine?

I know I'm probably psyching myself out but looking at TSR and seeing people with UKCAT scores is pretty much depressing me. They're all like 700 and over and I'm not applying to a university that requires that but I still feel uncertain.
Anyway, I want to ask if I could get an honest opinion at my chance with medicine. I'm applying to:
Barts
St George's
Birmingham
East Anglia
I have A level predictions of A*A* A*A in Bio, Religious Studies, EPQ and Chem as well as Maths at a B in AS. For GCSE's I went to a poor Greater London Comp and achieved 7A*'S and 3A's (3rd/4th highest in my year). All A*'s in my sciences. My UKCAT was 662.5 (average this year was 635). I just feel nervous now and uncertain and worry that I will not make any offers. Am I just being paranoid? I am not looking for an ego stroke and I am usually pretty level headed but I can't help comparing myself to everyone. I also did work experience in a pharmacy, psychiatry hospital for 2 weeks, Disability Clinic for a year, Charity Shop and this is all mentioned in my personal statement. Please reply honestly, thank you in advance.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

looks all right. you'll be fine for those unis. The only slightly riskier one is Barts, but you have excellent chances overall.
you must apply strategically, some unis dont use ukcat AS much and have lower thresholds but somewhere like manchester is VERY ukcat heavy. use the tsr applying to medicine with my strengths page
You'll be okay. You should try applying for the a2b scheme for Birmingham. It would help lower your grade boundaries and overall make it slightly easier to get in.
Original post by underxxted
You'll be okay. You should try applying for the a2b scheme for Birmingham. It would help lower your grade boundaries and overall make it slightly easier to get in.

Sorry, what is that scheme? I forget to mention, I now go to a grammar school so I can not enter some of the extra courses.
Original post by ArcaneMists
looks all right. you'll be fine for those unis. The only slightly riskier one is Barts, but you have excellent chances overall.

Thank you so very much! It is just I saw someone on here who has 12A*'S and UKCAT score of over 700 asking if they were good enough and I was so happy with my own I honestly felt like I had been a simpleton!
Original post by sfaraj
you must apply strategically, some unis dont use ukcat AS much and have lower thresholds but somewhere like manchester is VERY ukcat heavy. use the tsr applying to medicine with my strengths page

I never knew about this scheme, I will be using it!
Original post by sfaraj

I never knew of that scheme, thank you I will be using it!
Original post by medicalmisfit
Sorry, what is that scheme? I forget to mention, I now go to a grammar school so I can not enter some of the extra courses.

A2B Scheme. But, i dont think you'll be able to do it since they don't let grammar schools take part. Here's a link just in case.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/preparing-for-university/teachers-advisors/reaching-regional/a2b.aspx
Thank you so very much! It is just I saw someone on here who has 12A*'S and UKCAT score of over 700 asking if they were good enough and I was so happy with my own I honestly felt like I had been a simpleton!

There are so many trolls on TSR. TSR is really inflated and you can't believe what people post here. Honestly if you have 12A* and you can't judge whether you are good enough for medicine, I'd be questioning how they got those A* in the first place.
A2B Scheme. But, i dont think you'll be able to do it since they don't let grammar schools take part. Here's a link just in case.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/preparing-for-university/teachers-advisors/reaching-regional/a2b.aspx

This kind of stuff makes me wish I had stayed in my Comp, you know? Yet I craved grammar. Ugh, doesn't seem to permit me.
Original post by ArcaneMists
There are so many trolls on TSR. TSR is really inflated and you can't believe what people post here. Honestly if you have 12A* and you can't judge whether you are good enough for medicine, I'd be questioning how they got those A* in the first place.

THANK YOU! I have honestly been so concerned and have felt stupid. That person said they were applying to Kings and high UKCAT unis anyway so I know I applied to my strengths with an average/good UKCAT score. Barts is really my aspirational one and I hope that my work and volunteering experience, EPQ on FGM and predicted grades will appeal to them.
This kind of stuff makes me wish I had stayed in my Comp, you know? Yet I craved grammar. Ugh, doesn't seem to permit me.

I thought about going to a grammar school but then I realised it wasn't worth the effort if i'm going to miss out on schemes like this just for attending a sixth form for 2 years.
I thought about going to a grammar school but then I realised it wasn't worth the effort if i'm going to miss out on schemes like this just for attending a sixth form for 2 years.

My parents pushed mainly, but I am happy regardless. What do you now do?
My parents pushed mainly, but I am happy regardless. What do you now do?

I'm practically in the same boat as you. I'm applying to medicine.😂😂

Spoiler

Oh what grades and UKCAT score did you get? Also, where are you applying.
Also thank you to everyone who replied - I was being a little silly but it really did help me to have the reassurance of absolute strangers XD :colondollar::smile:

Spoiler

Also thank you to everyone who replied - I was being a little silly but it really did help me to have the reassurance of absolute strangers XD :colondollar::smile:

My UKCAT score was pretty bad I got 620 average. But oh well.
I'm applying to Birmingham, Nottingham, Aston, and kings.
Plus, your not being silly:smile:

Spoiler

i'm applying for the foundations years mostly. Your grades are way better than mine i got 3A* 4A and 4B in GCSE
i'm applying for the foundations years mostly. Your grades are way better than mine i got 3A* 4A and 4B in GCSE

Those are good grades! Best of luck!
Reply 19
Looks good, you should be fine! just work hard at A levels :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending