The Student Room Group

Math c2 help i have exam tmw

a solid wooden block. The block is a right prism with length hcm. The
cross-section of the block is a semi-circle with radius rcm.
The total surface area of the block, including the curved surface, the two semi-circular
ends and the rectangular base, is 200cm2
(a) Show that the volume Vcm3 of the block is given by
V=πr(200-πr^2)/4+2π
(b) Use calculus to find the maximum value of V. Give your answer to the nearest cm3.

(c) Justify, by further differentiation, that the value of V that you have found is a
maximum.
Original post by sarah5
a solid wooden block. The block is a right prism with length hcm. The
cross-section of the block is a semi-circle with radius rcm.
The total surface area of the block, including the curved surface, the two semi-circular
ends and the rectangular base, is 200cm2
(a) Show that the volume Vcm3 of the block is given by
V=πr(200-πr^2)/4+2π
(b) Use calculus to find the maximum value of V. Give your answer to the nearest cm3.

(c) Justify, by further differentiation, that the value of V that you have found is a
maximum.

What are your workings?

HINT for problems like this one, you generally have to start with the information provided about area and then make a substitution in the volume formula. So what is the formula for the area of the prism?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
What are your workings?

HINT for problems like this one, you generally have to start with the information provided about area and then make a substitution in the volume formula. So what is the formula for the area of the prism?

i know that but i don't know the formula of the area and the volume of this cylinder !!
Original post by sarah5
i know that but i don't know the formula of the area and the volume of this cylinder !!

OK

If it was a cylinder, then area would be

2πrh+2πr2

But it seems the shape has a semi-circle base (the question goes on about a right sided prism which is a fancy way of describing a cylinder cut down the middle, right?)

Can you see what the area is now?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
OK

If it was a cylinder, then area would be

2πrh+2πr2

But it seems the shape has a semi-circle base (the question goes on about a right sided prism which is a fancy way of describing a cylinder cut down the middle, right?)

Can you see what the area is now?

Ohhh yess thank you so much :smile:
Original post by sarah5
Ohhh yess thank you so much :smile:

Great!

πr^2 + πrh + 2rh

We are off home now - enjoy your evening.

Quick Reply

Latest