The Student Room Group

AQA 9-1 Sciences Thread!!

So, there is a massive amount of content and I want to know who else has no choice but to somehow cram it all in before next May.

What's everybody doing to revise/when you starting?

The thing I'm dreading the most is the physics equations - without them, your fate is decided haha.
Finally decided to start - because my mocks are in 3 weeks or so. I'm such a mess with revision. For me? Flashcards are the best way to learn the physics equations, and writing them down until they're muscle memory. Make sure as well that you practice applying them. I think my main revision tactic will be making mind-maps of each major topic in my revision guides and crying over it for a bit.
I don’t know when to start revising 😬 I have a while til my mocks I think, 3 weeks at school and 2 weeks half-term.

I don’t know when to start and I will be doing stuff during half term which will mean I won’t be able to revise a lot everyday.

I want to make a revision timetable but my weeks are pretty random (e.g. one week I could get lots of homework and the other not, and in the october/november half term I don’t know which days I’ll have to meet with family or go out places etc). Does anyone know how to make a very flexible timetable whilst also allowing me to revise enough?

I hate how the school is still giving ua homework- they should just be letting us revise :/
Bump
Original post by amberfox264
I don’t know when to start revising 😬 I have a while til my mocks I think, 3 weeks at school and 2 weeks half-term.

I don’t know when to start and I will be doing stuff during half term which will mean I won’t be able to revise a lot everyday.

I want to make a revision timetable but my weeks are pretty random (e.g. one week I could get lots of homework and the other not, and in the october/november half term I don’t know which days I’ll have to meet with family or go out places etc). Does anyone know how to make a very flexible timetable whilst also allowing me to revise enough?

I hate how the school is still giving ua homework- they should just be letting us revise :/

Homework is good as they are given to make sure you understand the topic.
If there was no homework, do you think a lot of people will go home and just "revise"?
Just complete your homework on the day it is given so you dont have to stress about it.
Make a timetable with an hour or so purely for homework.
When you are out maybe try to record yourself reading your notes and then listen to them when you are in your car etc or maybe go through your notes.
The new science gcses has a lot of content so its best to start revising now.
Your mocks are coming soon so revise for them as they will be a clear indication of how effective your revision is.
Original post by Chocolate...s
Homework is good as they are given to make sure you understand the topic.
If there was no homework, do you think a lot of people will go home and just "revise"?
Just complete your homework on the day it is given so you dont have to stress about it.
Make a timetable with an hour or so purely for homework.
When you are out maybe try to record yourself reading your notes and then listen to them when you are in your car etc or maybe go through your notes.
The new science gcses has a lot of content so its best to start revising now.
Your mocks are coming soon so revise for them as they will be a clear indication of how effective your revision is.

Thank you!

I was thinking about maybe making a 'timetable' stating how long I wanted to spend on a subject a night, whereas I usually do specific time slots. So for example, rather than saying I'll study Maths from 5pm-6pm, I say I will study 1hr of maths. That way I have more flexibility. Would that work?

Also with the homework thing, they are setting homework about subjects that aren't in our mocks. I think it would be more productive to set questions or worksheets etc. about previous topics. But anyway that's just my opinion :smile:
Thank you!

I was thinking about maybe making a 'timetable' stating how long I wanted to spend on a subject a night, whereas I usually do specific time slots. So for example, rather than saying I'll study Maths from 5pm-6pm, I say I will study 1hr of maths. That way I have more flexibility. Would that work?

Also with the homework thing, they are setting homework about subjects that aren't in our mocks. I think it would be more productive to set questions or worksheets etc. about previous topics. But anyway that's just my opinion :smile:

What best works for you i guess!
When you said "subjects that aren't in our mocks" do you mean topics?
Original post by Chocolate...s
What best works for you i guess!
When you said "subjects that aren't in our mocks" do you mean topics?

Yes sorry :smile: So like we've got Topics 1-4 in our Biology test but we're getting set homework about Topic 5 etc.
Yes sorry :smile: So like we've got Topics 1-4 in our Biology test but we're getting set homework about Topic 5 etc.

Ah. Maybe ask your teachers to set homework for topics 1-4?
You could see it as a good thing as you will be revising purely on the first 4 topics so you probably will forget a lot of the content for 5-7 so homework for those topics are good to refresh your memory.
Remember that there is a lot more resources to help you
Here is a specimen paper for paper 1 for biology which should give you a clear understanding what your mock and the actual exam will be like.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/biology/AQA-84611H-SQP.PDF
Youtube channels like freescicencelessons are also very good.
start at the beginning of year 11 but always pay attention in class year 10 is your last year of freedom most people start revising after Christmas some even after Feburary half term your putting too much stress on yourself

Quick Reply

Latest