The Student Room Group

My mum left Islam at 40 years old. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wonderuss
Yes, she does.

So why do you still call yourself Muslim? What's keeping you in the religion?
So you accept it? You still believe your religion is peaceful and beautiful while knowing of these negatives in Islam?

I have a question for you. Would it be okay with you if you refused to have sex with your Muslim husband one night then he hit you for your disobedience? Because your religion says this is allowed. Your husband could literally bring out the Quran and say 'look, God tells you not to be disobedient to me so we have to have sex right now'.

Funny you mention that considering there’s a hadith stating that angels will curse a woman until morning if she refuses to have sex with her husband on any particular night.
Original post by angelike1
So why do you still call yourself Muslim? What's keeping you in the religion?

I don't think I said I do? Did I say that? If I said that, then I meant that people outside my primary family still know me as a Muslim because I didn't tell them 'I'm not a Muslim anymore'.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Funny you mention that considering there’s a hadith stating that angels will curse a woman until morning if she refuses to have sex with her husband on any particular night.

Wow. Didn't even know that tbh.

Can you tell me which hadith?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Can you tell me which hadith?

Wow. Didn't even know that tbh.

Sahih al-Bukhari, Book 59, Hadith 48

https://sunnah.com/bukhari/59/48

What reasoning do Muslims give to explain this verse? Are you an ex Muslim by the way?
What reasoning do Muslims give to explain this verse? Are you an ex Muslim by the way?

The only reasoning I’ve ever heard is that it’s a woman’s duty to engage in sex whenever her husband desires it. ISOC Muslimahs themselves have said this.

And no, I’m not.

This is true I was going to mention this to OP but you got there before me.

Original post by MiszShortee786

^^ Case in point.

How does that hadith make you feel as a Muslim woman? Are you ok to accept it?

Omg WOW. So you're okay with that then? You're okay with your husband basically fvcking you whenever he wants to and beating you if you don't want to?

You have absolutely no dignity.

Looks like it!

I'm actually done with this world.

To be honest I don't give my opinions on Hadeeth I follow it because at the end of the day it's there for a reason. Yes I know it does seem kind of funny however one must remember that some individuals do 'crave' for it. Therefore it's actually their for safety because some men actually divorce their wife for not giving their 'time' to them.
Omg WOW. So you're okay with that then? You're okay with your husband basically fvcking you whenever he wants to and beating you if you don't want to?

You have absolutely no dignity.

I didn't state that. I was replying to the other poster in regards to the Hadeeth. I didn't imply that I am 'okay' with it.

Please do not twist my words and Re-read if you do not understand anything.

Jazakillah Khairan
^^

Good on you. You should do what makes you happy.:wink: Religion should never be a forceful thing and If not being a Muslim is what makes him/her happy then so be it. Don't critisize her/him because at the end of the day it's her/his choice. I myself am a Muslim but I don't believe you guys should impose your beliefs on her/him. At the end of the day this is just an AMA meaning she is already firm in her beliefs that she isn't a Muslim and as fellow tsr members you should respect her/his opinion. She doesn't want your opinions on why she is 'wrong' she's just looking for questions and willing to answer them.

Here's my questions:
How did your mum get out of the habit of praying 5 times a day and fasting etc because you said she was a practicing Muslim. Did she find it difficult? Also although your mum doesn't pray etc does she still like give zakat or do you still celebrate eid? I'm not asking that to critsize you or anyone. I'm just asking because Eid is a cultural thing too. For e.g I know some pakistani chiristians who celebrate eid merely because it is a cultural celebration to them. If you do what do you do on the day? Visit family/friends, go out, eat loads and loads of FOOD etc? lol I'm just curious and interested! :h::tongue:

I'm muslim but I've got to say that is one absolutely disgusting Hadith. Words can't describe how I feel about that.
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
I'm muslim but I've got to say that is one absolutely disgusting Hadith. Words can't describe how I feel about that.

Well apparently it was your prophet that said it...
Original post by Faeeza.Ifti
Good on you. You should do what makes you happy.:wink: Religion should never be a forceful thing and If not being a Muslim is what makes him/her happy then so be it. Don't critisize her/him because at the end of the day it's her/his choice. I myself am a Muslim but I don't believe you guys should impose your beliefs on her/him. At the end of the day this is just an AMA meaning she is already firm in her beliefs that she isn't a Muslim and as fellow tsr members you should respect her/his opinion. She doesn't want your opinions on why she is 'wrong' she's just looking for questions and willing to answer them.

Here's my questions:
How did your mum get out of the habit of praying 5 times a day and fasting etc because you said she was a practicing Muslim. Did she find it difficult? Also although your mum doesn't pray etc does she still like give zakat or do you still celebrate eid? I'm not asking that to critsize you or anyone. I'm just asking because Eid is a cultural thing too. For e.g I know some pakistani chiristians who celebrate eid merely because it is a cultural celebration to them. If you do what do you do on the day? Visit family/friends, go out, eat loads and loads of FOOD etc? lol I'm just curious and interested! :h::tongue:

Thank you :smile:

My mum was a proper practicing Muslim (habit of praying and fasting) very long ago, not in recent years. So that wasn't an issue at all when she decided to leave.

My family have never really had a proper Eid (with relatives and all that) even before all these religion disagreements started coming up, so Eid isn't really a big thing in my family. But yeah, we do still go out and stuff just for fun. And yes, lots and lots of food :h:
Well apparently it was your prophet that said it...

How do we know for certain he said that and that the things in the hadiths are actually 100% true?

From what I understand and correct me if I'm wrong but the Quran is the only book Muhammad actually wrote? The hadiths were written long after he died and could easily be incorrect?

Quick Reply

Latest