The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
I’m an international student thinking of applying to Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham.

IGCSEs: 10A*
UKCAT: 2490 (average 623) SJT band 1
Predicted A level grades: 3A* 1A

What are the chances of me getting an interview?
Original post by babypooh
Hi!
I’m an international student thinking of applying to Cardiff, Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham.

IGCSEs: 10A*
UKCAT: 2490 (average 623) SJT band 1
Predicted A level grades: 3A* 1A

What are the chances of me getting an interview?

predicted 3A*s should apply to Exeter;
even though UKCAT is slightly low, as an international applicant, your chance to net an interview is pretty good
Original post by mkshyderabad
even though UKCAT is slightly low, as an international applicant, your chance to net an interview is pretty good

Thanks for the reply! What do you think of the universities I’m applying for though? Do I stand a good chance of getting an interview as an international applicant?
Thanks for the reply! What do you think of the universities I’m applying for though? Do I stand a good chance of getting an interview as an international applicant?

Don't know about Sheffield and Cardiff;
you would meet last years cut-off for Birmingham for an interview;
also for Nottingham you should be able to reach the stage where the PS is scored.
Hi,
I am also an international student and I am applying to two UKCAT schools and two BMAT.

For UK, applying with 9A* 2As at IGCSE , 2600 on UKCAT (my abstract was quite low) SJT Band 2 and predicted 45 on IB with HL biology, chemistry and economics. I have some work experience that I did recently over the summer and have a leadership role in school. Do you guys think I have a chance with Kings/Barts or do they usually prefer students with a higher UKCAT? My other choice currently is Birmingham
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mkshyderabad

I actually disagree with you about applying to Exeter with 3A* as I was predicted 4A* last year with 660 average of UKCAT but still got pre-interview rejected as their cutoff was 667 last year. The thing is that for the last year many people applied with 3A* predictions, which causes them to lower the tier for people with 3A* predictions and a higher UKCAT score is needed
Original post by luckkong123
Hi,
I am also an international student and I am applying to two UKCAT schools and two BMAT.

For UK, applying with 9A* 2As at IGCSE , 2600 on UKCAT (my abstract was quite low) SJT Band 2 and predicted 45 on IB with HL biology, chemistry and economics. I have some work experience that I did recently over the summer and have a leadership role in school. Do you guys think I have a chance with Kings/Barts or do they usually prefer students with a higher UKCAT? My other choice currently is Birmingham

I am not too sure about Barts, but I do think that Kings would require a higher UKCAT unfortunately.
Original post by betweenalaska
I actually disagree with you about applying to Exeter with 3A* as I was predicted 4A* last year with 660 average of UKCAT but still got pre-interview rejected as their cutoff was 667 last year. The thing is that for the last year many people applied with 3A* predictions, which causes them to lower the tier for people with 3A* predictions and a higher UKCAT score is needed

Wow! I guess I’ll be waiting for four rejection letters then 😅 what about Cardiff? What are the chances of me getting in since they don’t place much emphasis on the UKCAT?
I am not too sure about Barts, but I do think that Kings would require a higher UKCAT unfortunately.

Yea I thought so, I saw their guideline scores to be ~700. Do you have any recommendations of where I should apply to increase my chances of getting in?
Wow! I guess I’ll be waiting for four rejection letters then 😅 what about Cardiff? What are the chances of me getting in since they don’t place much emphasis on the UKCAT?

From what I’ve seen in medic portal, they do recommend applying to Cardiff and Birmingham for people having low UKCAT score. From their website, they said that ‘Generally Cardiff does not look at your UKCAT score at all’. As for Birmingham, UKCAT is only 30% of the total selection score. Nottingham seems like a good choice for you as you have excellent GCSE, which will score you full point there and about 32/40 for your UKCAT since you have high STJ score. So don't worry too much :smile:
From what I’ve seen in medic portal, they do recommend applying to Cardiff and Birmingham for people having low UKCAT score. From their website, they said that ‘Generally Cardiff does not look at your UKCAT score at all’. As for Birmingham, UKCAT is only 30% of the total selection score. Nottingham seems like a good choice for you as you have excellent GCSE, which will score you full point there and about 32/40 for your UKCAT since you have high STJ score. So don't worry too much :smile:

Thanks so much!
Yea I thought so, I saw their guideline scores to be ~700. Do you have any recommendations of where I should apply to increase my chances of getting in?

Actually, it does depend on what learning style you like (PBL/lecture/early clinical contact). As for me last year, I got 660 for UKCAT and 6A*2A 2B in IGCSE. I applied to Imperial, HYMS, Plymouth, Exeter and got pre-interview rejected by Imperial and Exeter, but got 2 offers from HYMS and Plymouth. As you have a much better GCSE than mine, you should stand a good chance. I would also suggest looking at this PDF file https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1191/using-my-2017-ukcat-result.pdf and also do some research on WHATDOTHEYKNOW.com . Medic portal is also a good website. Moreover, some people do suggest not applying to more than 1 BMAT school if you haven't done your BMAT yet as you would not know what score you get unless you are very confident about it. Hope this helps and good luck with your application!
Thanks so much!

No problem! Do ask me if you got any more problems with your application :h:
Hi,

I think your choices are good. You might also like to consider Cardiff
Actually, it does depend on what learning style you like (PBL/lecture/early clinical contact). As for me last year, I got 660 for UKCAT and 6A*2A 2B in IGCSE. I applied to Imperial, HYMS, Plymouth, Exeter and got pre-interview rejected by Imperial and Exeter, but got 2 offers from HYMS and Plymouth. As you have a much better GCSE than mine, you should stand a good chance. I would also suggest looking at this PDF file https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/media/1191/using-my-2017-ukcat-result.pdf and also do some research on WHATDOTHEYKNOW.com . Medic portal is also a good website. Moreover, some people do suggest not applying to more than 1 BMAT school if you haven't done your BMAT yet as you would not know what score you get unless you are very confident about it. Hope this helps and good luck with your application!

Oh okk thank you so much!
Original post by helloitsmeq23
I think your choices are good. You might also like to consider Cardiff

Oh ok yea, I'll look into cardiff thank you!
Hello
I am an international student currently residing in India.
I have the following qualifications :
GCSE equivalent A* I.e 95.66% in CBSE format with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology as my subjects in 12th grade.

I have acquired a degree in Bachelor of Science in Anaesthesia Technology( 3 year course)

My UKCAT scores are
2430 ( average 607.5) Bad i know :frown:

SJT- band 2
But , as far as experience is concerned i have been working in the hospital inside the OR's as an anaesthesia care assistant ( in final year of my course) for an entire year plus 6 months of internship.
So i have reasonable amount of experience in healthcare.

Which UNI's are my best options ?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hello everyone!

I have a 94% average across my Grade 12 subjects –– Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Calculus, Anthropology
Ukcat: ave 707.5, Band 1
I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, no work experience due to patient privacy laws in Canada

I am a bit unsure of my uni choices due to various circumstances that have forced me to change them. I am definitely applying to St. Andrews and Nottingham, and the rest are up in the air. Any recommendations? No London unis please!

Also, if anyone can link me to a website or document stating the teaching styles of universities (PBL, lecture, etc.) that would be awesome!
Original post by ukcatpanic
Hello everyone!

I have a 94% average across my Grade 12 subjects –– Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Calculus, Anthropology
Ukcat: ave 707.5, Band 1
I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, no work experience due to patient privacy laws in Canada

I am a bit unsure of my uni choices due to various circumstances that have forced me to change them. I am definitely applying to St. Andrews and Nottingham, and the rest are up in the air. Any recommendations? No London unis please!

Also, if anyone can link me to a website or document stating the teaching styles of universities (PBL, lecture, etc.) that would be awesome!

your academics and ukcat are quite strong giving you a lot of options...

u should look at Newcastle, Kings, Southampton, Birmingham (advantage as an international, will get ranked on ukcat scores)

also consider Aberdeen as your strong academics and UKCAT will be carried forward to the post interview stage while giving out offers... which is like starting the interview from a pole position 😉

Also if those Grade 12 Results are already achieved then you are almost guaranteed an interview from Exeter.

Your strong academics n UKCAT will open a lot of doors😀
Original post by Ridhasaraff
Hello
I am an international student currently residing in India.
I have the following qualifications :
GCSE equivalent A* I.e 95.66% in CBSE format with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology as my subjects in 12th grade.

I have acquired a degree in Bachelor of Science in Anaesthesia Technology( 3 year course)

My UKCAT scores are
2430 ( average 607.5) Bad i know :frown:

SJT- band 2
But , as far as experience is concerned i have been working in the hospital inside the OR's as an anaesthesia care assistant ( in final year of my course) for an entire year plus 6 months of internship.
So i have reasonable amount of experience in healthcare.

Which UNI's are my best options ?

Thanks in advance :smile:

are you applying for GEM or the regular 5 year course?

no idea about GEM... all i have heard is that it is quite competitive

Latest

Trending

Trending