The Student Room Group

Is C4 and M2 really that hard?

People keep saying M2 and C4 is very hard. I want to know is it really as hard as they say it is? or is the difficulty level like going from GCSE to AS-level
What are the hardest topics in M2 and/or C4?
Tbh most of the c4 past papers are easier than the core 3 past papers- questions tend to be more standard. Most of the way through m2 atm and it's not too hard. The actual content isn't particularly difficult although like mechanics 1, the difficulty probably comes from applying knowledge in exam questions. This year focus on c3 and 4 and depending on how you did at as, you don't actually have to worry about m2 too much.
Reply 2
Original post by black1blade
Tbh most of the c4 past papers are easier than the core 3 past papers- questions tend to be more standard. Most of the way through m2 atm and it's not too hard. The actual content isn't particularly difficult although like mechanics 1, the difficulty probably comes from applying knowledge in exam questions. This year focus on c3 and 4 and depending on how you did at as, you don't actually have to worry about m2 too much.

Really? because ive just started revising for M2 before we actually do it in lessons, Should i stop and start learning C4 instead you reckon?
Original post by Dexter212
People keep saying M2 and C4 is very hard. I want to know is it really as hard as they say it is? or is the difficulty level like going from GCSE to AS-level
What are the hardest topics in M2 and/or C4?

I don't think C4 is that much harder than C3 to be honest, I just thought of it as covering different topics. Students often find integration, and probably differential equations as a result, the most challenging topic, it seems.
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
I don't think C4 is that much harder than C3 to be honest, I just thought of it as covering different topics. Students often find integration, and probably differential equations as a result, the most challenging topic, it seems.

Phew, thats Relieving.......
Reply 5
Is M1 comparatively Hard?
I did Mei so basically all of calculus was in C3, and trig was in C4. I found C4 easier than C3 except for the comprehension paper (dw bout that if you don’t do Mei)
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx

Yes I would agree that the content isn't much harder. Students on average will find C4 harder than C3 often because C3 is assumed knowledge in C4 questions. So if a student isn't good at C3 trig for example (which is common) then they struggle with C4 questions that contain trig. Similarly a student has to be very confident with C3 differentiation to do well in C4 integation.

Also, C4 exam questions tend to be longer so it's easier to get lost or make mistakes in the middle of a question.
Original post by Notnek
Yes I would agree that the content isn't much harder. Students on average will find C4 harder than C3 often because C3 is assumed knowledge in C4 questions. So if a student isn't good at C3 trig for example (which is common) then they struggle with C4 questions that contain trig. Similarly a student has to be very confident with C3 differentiation to do well in C4 integation.

Also, C4 exam questions tend to be longer so it's easier to get lost or make mistakes in the middle of a question.

PRSOM :h:
Reply 9
Original post by Notnek

Thanks, I'm good with Trig,Differentiation and okay at integration.

Should i start learning C4 or M2 before we start in class?
Reply 10
Thanks, I'm good with Trig,Differentiation and okay at integration.

Should i start learning C4 or M2 before we start in class?

Haven't you started them yet? I assume you're in the second year of A Levels?*

If you have time then reading ahead before you start is useful.

*EDIT : Not sure what I'm talking about here - I'm tired :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
can't speak for M2 but looking back, i think C4 might have been a tiny bit easier than C3, just keep practicing the questions from textbook, exams papers and you won't even notice how difficult it is :smile: sigh i kinda miss a level maths days
Original post by Notnek
Haven't you started them yet? I assume you're in the second year of A Levels?

If you have time then reading ahead before you start is useful.

No, we just started C3. I will start doing C4 now over M2.
Reply 13
@Dexter212 Ignore my first line above - I'm talking rubbish :smile:
Reply 14
No, we just started C3. I will start doing C4 now over M2.

If you're starting it then I recommend using ExamSolutions - he'll probably be able to teach you better than a textbook. And you can always post questions in the maths forum if you get stuck :smile:
Compared to C1, yeah they're extremely hard. But C4 isn't really that hard if you're confident with C3. M2 is pretty hard, but again if you're confident with M1 it's fine.
Reply 16
Personally I found M2 a lot harder than M1, despite finding m1 pretty easy really. It's definitely putting your knowledge into practice which is the hardest part of M2.
Student room is so helpful, If only i started using it a lot earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest