The Student Room Group

Architecture universities

I prefer the more arty type of Architecture courses i.e. my dream would be to get an offer from UCL Bartlett. I've been to the Bath Open day and found the course bias was just too technical. I have also been to Newcastle and Reading but am running out of time to visit others. I've read the course details for all the unis I am interested in however, there is nothing like someone's personal experience - I'd be so grateful!

On a scale of 1 to 10 of Artiness vs Technical where Bath is a 1 and UCL is a 10, what value would you assign to:
1. Cambridge
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Cardiff
5. Newcastle
6. Nottingham

Thanks so much in advance!
Original post by Piepollocks
I prefer the more arty type of Architecture courses i.e. my dream would be to get an offer from UCL Bartlett. I've been to the Bath Open day and found the course bias was just too technical. I have also been to Newcastle and Reading but am running out of time to visit others. I've read the course details for all the unis I am interested in however, there is nothing like someone's personal experience - I'd be so grateful!

On a scale of 1 to 10 of Artiness vs Technical where Bath is a 1 and UCL is a 10, what value would you assign to:
1. Cambridge
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Cardiff
5. Newcastle
6. Nottingham

The deadline is in January. You don’t need to decide on your choices yet.

Even if you’re applying to Cambridge you can submit your application to Cambridge and UCL now and then add on your other 3 choices later after you have had time to do more research.
I wouldn't describe the Bartlett as particularly arty, conceptual / experimental maybe, not arty. What do you mean by arty? I also wouldn't describe Bath as the least arty, although it is one of the more practical (not the necessarily technical, the Bartlett can be very technical).
Reply 3
Original post by Farchitect
I wouldn't describe the Bartlett as particularly arty, conceptual / experimental maybe, not arty. What do you mean by arty? I also wouldn't describe Bath as the least arty, although it is one of the more practical (not the necessarily technical, the Bartlett can be very technical).

Thanks!

So if we had practical at one end of the scale and conceptual/experimental at the other, do you have a feel for where you might put Cambridge, Sheffield and Cardiff?

1. Cambridge
2. Manchester
3. Sheffield
4. Cardiff
5. Newcastle
6. Nottingham

Hi Piepollocks,

I thought you might want to hear about Ravensbourne. We are a design and media based institution located in Greenwich, London. Our students are taught by industry professionals and are ranked 7 in the UK. With our open access plan you will be able to work with other courses on collaborative projects while building your network.

Our BA Architecture course is taught by industry professionals who have direct contacts to the professions and industry to help enable you to find internships. You will also work on live projects and competition briefs throughout your time here. I would encourage you to come to an open day to meet the tutors and students to find out more about the building and course.

I hope this has has helped and if you have any question please feel free to ask.

Row:h:
Thanks!

So if we had practical at one end of the scale and conceptual/experimental at the other, do you have a feel for where you might put Cambridge, Sheffield and Cardiff?

I would put all of those at the practical side of things.
Reply 6
Original post by Farchitect
I would put all of those at the practical side of things.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending