The Student Room Group

Motor proteins epq help

I am fascinated by motor proteins so would really like to do my epq on them but I'm struggling to think of how to word my question as I want to have a evaluation/debate aspect to it. i was thinking of looking into how they actually move because I think there are a few different theories why so that allows me to delve into and evaluate each one but idk if theres enough. How could I word my question and is there any other biological molecules/proteins that I could look into instead, just incase I cant find enough info for this??
Reply 1
Original post by xxNoodlezxx
I am fascinated by motor proteins so would really like to do my epq on them but I'm struggling to think of how to word my question as I want to have a evaluation/debate aspect to it. i was thinking of looking into how they actually move because I think there are a few different theories why so that allows me to delve into and evaluate each one but idk if theres enough. How could I word my question and is there any other biological molecules/proteins that I could look into instead, just incase I cant find enough info for this??

There isn't different theories on how they move. However, there are many motor proteins and other proteins with the same domains, such as a Walker A and Walker B domain, arginine fingers, etc. I think you should evaluate the shared domains and how different the function is between this family of proteins.

I was working on a particular protein called TIP49 which has the same domains as motor proteins. However, the function of this protein was to control transcription. The mechanism of the protein conformational change is still unknown... It's interesting because we have the mechanism for motor proteins but not this TIP49 protein.

Hopefully I have given you some ideas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 06moca1
There isn't different theories on how they move. However, there are many motor proteins and other proteins with the same domains, such as a Walker A and Walker B domain, arginine fingers, etc. I think you should evaluate the shared domains and how different the function is between this family of proteins.

I was working on a particular protein called TIP49 which has the same domains as motor proteins. However, the function of this protein was to control transcription. The mechanism of the protein conformational change is still unknown... It's interesting because we have the mechanism for motor proteins but not this TIP49 protein.

Hopefully I have given you some ideas.

wow thanks so much! Sorry to be a pain but do you know of any websites that would help me out with this? Thanks a lot for the great ideas :biggrin: would it be worth perhaps looking into some diseases caused by motor proteins i.e the link between kinesin defects and kidney disease? This also interests me but I don't want to shoe-horn it in if it doesnt relate too much.
Reply 3
wow thanks so much! Sorry to be a pain but do you know of any websites that would help me out with this? Thanks a lot for the great ideas :biggrin: would it be worth perhaps looking into some diseases caused by motor proteins i.e the link between kinesin defects and kidney disease? This also interests me but I don't want to shoe-horn it in if it doesnt relate too much.

You can read the abstract and introduction of papers I guess. Google scholar is what I use. Make sure you save the reviews because they are great in helping you to understand the topic and current knowledge.

Yes definitely look into diseases. Without mentioning diseases, people could ask you "so what's the point in researching all this?".
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 06moca1
You can read the abstract and introduction of papers I guess. Google scholar is what I use. Make sure you save the reviews because they are great in helping you to understand the topic and current knowledge.

Yes definitely look into diseases. Without mentioning diseases, people could ask you "so what's the point in researching all this?".

Thanks so much for the help, I'm really excited to start this :biggrin:
Original post by 06moca1

Hello again, I have gone away and completed some research on the domains and families of motor proteins and their locations etc but I cannot seem to understand what arginine fingers are? I was wondering if you could explain it to me :smile: sorry to bother you again
Reply 6
Hello again, I have gone away and completed some research on the domains and families of motor proteins and their locations etc but I cannot seem to understand what arginine fingers are? I was wondering if you could explain it to me :smile: sorry to bother you again

Ensure efficient hydrolysis of ATP via the interaction of arginine and the gamma-phosphate of ATP.
Original post by 06moca1
Ensure efficient hydrolysis of ATP via the interaction of arginine and the gamma-phosphate of ATP.

Thank you, and when you say to "evaluate" the certain shared structures what do
you mean? In order to get high marks I have to include some form of debate/evaluation but I am unsure on how to exactly go about it :smile: I've decided my title will be something like "What are motor proteins and what is their involvement in pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's."
Reply 8
Thank you, and when you say to "evaluate" the certain shared structures what do
you mean? In order to get high marks I have to include some form of debate/evaluation but I am unsure on how to exactly go about it :smile: I've decided my title will be something like "What are motor proteins and what is their involvement in pathogenesis of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's."

Oh nice you're going down the neurodegenerative disease route. I have to admit I have not researched the roles of P-loop type proteins in neuro diseases. You can talk about the Tau hypothesis and the Amyloid Beta Hypothesis as well since both are implicated with Alzheimers. Prion Hypothesis explains Prion diseases like Mad Cow etc etc. Not sure if motor proteins are involved in Prion diseases.

When I said 'evaluate the shared domains' I was thinking of a more broader sense. However, you've narrowed it down quite a lot. You could just talk about the domains as an introduction and give examples of other P-loop type proteins and their differing functions. Afterwards, you can narrow it down to neuro diseases.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest