The Student Room Group

TK Maxx won’t change switfts, even though I can’t get home, what should I do?

Basically, where I live the bus stops running at a certain time at night and there is only one bus that runs to my area as the other one has been cut. The timetables also change every season so I applied for this job in August thinking I would be fine getting there and back but it changed again in September meaning that when I finish on a Saturday I can no longer get the bus and I have to wait around an hour till I can catch the next bus on the Sunday, otherwise I’ll have to walk for 40mins in the dark to get home. I tried to ask the store manager whether or not she could switch my shifts or let me start a little earlier like my other friend at work does but she said no because there were no earlier shifts for me to go on and do maintenance training and then she proceeded to ask, what hours I signed for on my contract to what I said all day Saturday and Sunday so she was like right, then that’s what you have to do. Is there anything I can do about this or would it be more worth it just leaving and finding another job at this point even though this is just a temp job?
Is there someone who could give you a lift back home or come and pick you up? Or a friend who lives near who you could stay with? If it is causing trouble for you, and work cannot change the shifts for you, it might be better to leave, especially as you say it is only temporary.
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
Is there someone who could give you a lift back home or come and pick you up? Or a friend who lives near who you could stay with? If it is causing trouble for you, and work cannot change the shifts for you, it might be better to leave, especially as you say it is only temporary.

Right now, my step dad is currently taking me home every weekend however, I know he won’t be able to do that every time as sometimes he has to go out and do things or is too tired to do so from working all week himself. My boyfriend said his grandad could come pick me up the other day but I think that was only temporary and I’d feel bad making him do that all the time. It’s making me really nervous as well as I’m now unsure how I’m going to get there New Year’s Day as public transport doesn’t run, taxi’s cost a bomb like £40 both ways and my step dad will be too intoxicated to take me😕
If your boyfriend's grandad offered, you could consider it, contributing some money for petrol. Alternate with your stepdad picking you up some weeks, and then your boyfriend's grandad other weeks. How old are you? Are you learning to drive?

You have to weigh up the positive and negatives of the role, and if it is worth it to work there when you have issues with commuting. If you are still working on New Year's Day and you can't get a lift or public transport, if you can't stay with a friend maybe stay at a hostel for the day, or get a taxi. Either way it will be pretty costly, but it depends on how important the job is for you.
Original post by cheesecakelove
If your boyfriend's grandad offered, you could consider it, contributing some money for petrol. Alternate with your stepdad picking you up some weeks, and then your boyfriend's grandad other weeks. How old are you? Are you learning to drive?

You have to weigh up the positive and negatives of the role, and if it is worth it to work there when you have issues with commuting. If you are still working on New Year's Day and you can't get a lift or public transport, if you can't stay with a friend maybe stay at a hostel for the day, or get a taxi. Either way it will be pretty costly, but it depends on how important the job is for you.

My boyfriends grandad was only able to do it for the Sunday just gone so unfortunately, I can’t do that. I’m 17 and I’ll be 18 in 18 days but I’m not currently learning to drive as I didn’t have the money to pay for it when I was doing my previous job as I had to pay for getting to college and my phone bill amongst other stuff. Yeah I should probably do that, the job itself is nice however it’s not permenant so that’s why I’m thinking of waiting till I turn 18 so I can get a job at a supermarket closer to home as it will be a lot easier for me to get there and less costly.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriends grandad was only able to do it for the Sunday just gone so unfortunately, I can’t do that. I’m 17 and I’ll be 18 in 18 days but I’m not currently learning to drive as I didn’t have the money to pay for it when I was doing my previous job as I had to pay for getting to college and my phone bill amongst other stuff. Yeah I should probably do that, the job itself is nice however it’s not permenant so that’s why I’m thinking of waiting till I turn 18 so I can get a job at a supermarket closer to home as it will be a lot easier for me to get there and less costly.

Didn’t mean to post anonymously, I’m using my mobile browser lol😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending