The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ukcatpanic
Hello everyone!

I have a 94% average across my Grade 12 subjects –– Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Calculus, Anthropology
Ukcat: ave 707.5, Band 1
I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, no work experience due to patient privacy laws in Canada

I am a bit unsure of my uni choices due to various circumstances that have forced me to change them. I am definitely applying to St. Andrews and Nottingham, and the rest are up in the air. Any recommendations? No London unis please!

Also, if anyone can link me to a website or document stating the teaching styles of universities (PBL, lecture, etc.) that would be awesome!

you will reach the Personal Statement stage at Nottingham also with the stats
Reply 81
Hello everyone!

I have a 94% average across my Grade 12 subjects –– Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Calculus, Anthropology
Ukcat: ave 707.5, Band 1
I have quite a bit of volunteer experience, no work experience due to patient privacy laws in Canada

I am a bit unsure of my uni choices due to various circumstances that have forced me to change them. I am definitely applying to St. Andrews and Nottingham, and the rest are up in the air. Any recommendations? No London unis please!

Also, if anyone can link me to a website or document stating the teaching styles of universities (PBL, lecture, etc.) that would be awesome!

With your score, you should look into Edinburgh. They will weight your SJT heavily as you get a band 1. Also consider Sheffield and Leicester as they weight your SJT as one virtual interview station. You will already get full mark in one of their interview station

Newcastle and Southampton do not use your SJT score, but you will make it to the interview station
Reply 82
Hi all, I'm a 4th year Med student at Barts and the London. If your application hasn't been submitted yet, I'm doing a personal statement service to check and advise anyone according to what admission tutors are looking for.
If you're interested get in touch! Good luck.
Original post by mkshyderabad
your academics and ukcat are quite strong giving you a lot of options...

u should look at Newcastle, Kings, Southampton, Birmingham (advantage as an international, will get ranked on ukcat scores)

also consider Aberdeen as your strong academics and UKCAT will be carried forward to the post interview stage while giving out offers... which is like starting the interview from a pole position 😉

Also if those Grade 12 Results are already achieved then you are almost guaranteed an interview from Exeter.

Your strong academics n UKCAT will open a lot of doors😀

Hi! I just wanted to ask if any of you know how the international applicants are ranked for Birmingham? Do internationals compete amongst themselves for a place? On what basis does Birmingham select international applicants for the interview? Is it based on the UKCAT score or are we ranked according to our academics?
Original post by babypooh
Hi! I just wanted to ask if any of you know how the international applicants are ranked for Birmingham? Do internationals compete amongst themselves for a place? On what basis does Birmingham select international applicants for the interview? Is it based on the UKCAT score or are we ranked according to our academics?

once you meet the minimum academic requirements, you are ranked solely on ukcat scores... this is specific to international applicants.
and yes you will be competing with international students for approximately 35 places
Original post by mkshyderabad
once you meet the minimum academic requirements, you are ranked solely on ukcat scores... this is specific to international applicants.
and yes you will be competing with international students for approximately 35 places

Do you know if they take into account the Situational Judgment test? Or do they only look at the other four components of the UKCAT
Do you know if they take into account the Situational Judgment test? Or do they only look at the other four components of the UKCAT

am unsure of this, but i think i read somewhere that as long as you are not in band 4, you should be ok

on the other side, i don't know if it will give you any extra points/preference if you are in Band 1
Hi! Also, an international student applying for medicine.

I did MYP and got 44/56, the first year to do e-assessments so world average was quite low.
IB predicted 39/42.
UKCAT 2860, 715 Average, Band 1
Work experience at hospital shadowing two radiologists.
Head Girl and a lot of volunteer work, president of a local chapter of an international charity organization and organized several fundraisers. Also founded a science fair at my school.

Applied to:

-King's
-Southampton
-Exeter
-Leicester

Any thoughts on my chances?
Hi! I am an international student residing in India tooooo!
My stats are :
89% in Grade 10
IB year 1 scores :36/42 with 6,6,7 in my HL subjects
IB 2 predicted : sadly they don’t disclose it but it’s definitely above 38, so I presume it’s 39 or 40.
My UKCAT is 2720, 680 average
I have shadowed a wisdom removal surgery , 6 months dentist shadowing , 3 months cancer research hospital , 3 months taught children English at an NGO, volunteered in a blood donation drive , etc etc

I’m going to apply to King’s , Sheffield, Bristol and Newcastle for medicine AND dentistry(more inclined)

Can anyone tell me how likely I am to get an interview ?
Original post by Arzooshaikh
My stats are :
89% in Grade 10
IB 2 predicted : sadly they don’t disclose it but it’s definitely above 38, so I presume it’s 39 or 40.
I have shadowed a wisdom removal surgery , 6 months dentist shadowing , 3 months cancer research hospital , 3 months taught children English at an NGO, volunteered in a blood donation drive , etc etc

I’m going to apply to King’s , Sheffield, Bristol and Newcastle for medicine AND dentistry(more inclined)

Are you submitting 2 personal statements (one for medicine and one for dentistry), if not it is kinda risky.I think it may be risky to apply King's College and Newcastle, both of which are very ukcat heavy (recommended 700+) for medicine.
Original post by reineautress

I did MYP and got 44/56, the first year to do e-assessments so world average was quite low.
IB predicted 39/42.
Head Girl and a lot of volunteer work, president of a local chapter of an international charity organization and organized several fundraisers. Also founded a science fair at my school.

Applied to:

-King's
-Southampton
-Exeter
-Leicester

Your choices seem fine across the board, but not sure how Exeter ranks with IB predicted grades.
Original post by ArcaneMists
Are you submitting 2 personal statements (one for medicine and one for dentistry), if not it is kinda risky.I think it may be risky to apply King's College and Newcastle, both of which are very ukcat heavy (recommended 700+) for medicine.

No no, I am probably going to change all my choices to dentistry , so just 1!
No no, I am probably going to change all my choices to dentistry , so just 1!

Ok, then nevermind what I said before. Ukcat cutoffs are lower for dentistry. I only know about medicine sorry.
Original post by ArcaneMists
Ok, then nevermind what I said before. Ukcat cutoffs are lower for dentistry. I only know about medicine sorry.

Oh, that’s alrighttt :frown:
My stats are :
89% in Grade 10

Should be able to get an interview at Birmingham with that UKCAT,
you can choose to eliminate the subjective nature of the Bristol application process

also Birmingham is less competitive compared to Bristol..
will shortly post document with all competition ratios for medical schools
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

the above lists competition ratios separately for home and international applicants
Reply 96
Original post by Ridhasaraff
Hello
I am an international student currently residing in India.
I have the following qualifications :
GCSE equivalent A* I.e 95.66% in CBSE format with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology as my subjects in 12th grade.

I have acquired a degree in Bachelor of Science in Anaesthesia Technology( 3 year course)

My UKCAT scores are
2430 ( average 607.5) Bad i know :frown:

SJT- band 2
But , as far as experience is concerned i have been working in the hospital inside the OR's as an anaesthesia care assistant ( in final year of my course) for an entire year plus 6 months of internship.
So i have reasonable amount of experience in healthcare.

Which UNI's are my best options ?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Plymouth actually does not require UKCAT for international students. BSMS also does not require BMAT or UKCAT for international students. It requires BMAT for UK students. Also, consider Cardiff which does not use UKCAT much. UEA cut off is also lower for UKCAT.
Reply 97
Original post by reineautress

IB predicted 39/42.

Applied to:

-King's
-Southampton
-Exeter
-Leicester

Great scores. You will have a great shot at these. Also can consider sheffield as they use SJT as one of their virtual MMI station and you got band 1.
So guys, I have been told that Exeter usually takes/gives preference to the international students that attend their summer science program? I've been told not to apply because of this, but I REALLY love Exeter. Have any of you heard something of the like?
So guys, I have been told that Exeter usually takes/gives preference to the international students that attend their summer science program? I've been told not to apply because of this, but I REALLY love Exeter. Have any of you heard something of the like?

I don't think that is the case. For last year, I think you just need to meet the UKCAT cutoff and be in the right tier. My friend got her interview without attending their summer Programme so you should be fine if you meet their cutoff.