The Student Room Group

Why would a university revoke a degree

A friend told me his degree got revoked but he never ended up telling me why it did get revoked
so does anyone know why one would get a degree revoked
Plagiarism is probably most likely
Although breaking the university’s code of conduct could also be a reason ie criminal activity that comes to light after graduation
If you really need to know, ask him
Any responses on here are speculative, just ask your friend.
Reply 3
Plagiarism.
Reply 4
Original post by Sammylou40
Plagiarism is probably most likely
Although breaking the university’s code of conduct could also be a reason ie criminal activity that comes to light after graduation
If you really need to know, ask him

I wouldnt want to seem to pry and he has made it very clear he doesnt want to tell any of us (his other friends) when we brought it up he seemed to be very defensive about it all and ohhh i see
Reply 5
Original post by King Leonidas
Any responses on here are speculative, just ask your friend.

I wouldnt want to seem to pry and my friend got very defensive when i tryed to ask him why
Reply 6
Original post by Ishax
Plagiarism.

wouldnt plagiarism have been spotted when he handed in his work though
Original post by liam189
wouldnt plagiarism have been spotted when he handed in his work though

Not if he hired one of those essay mills to write it.
detection of plagiarism or 'academic misconduct' of some sort would be the main reasons for revoking a degree.

Buuut I'd be suspecting he flunked the degree outright and is now B/S ing everyone to explain why he doesn't have a degree...but if he doesn't want to talk about it I'd not push him on it.

AFAIK it's really pretty unusual to revoke a degree that's been awarded - the LSE revoked Gadaffi's son's PhD after quite a large media uproar, but they didn't seem to want to do it and acted like they'd have been quite happy to let him get away with it if they'd been able to keep it low key.
Original post by liam189
A friend told me his degree got revoked but he never ended up telling me why it did get revoked
so does anyone know why one would get a degree revoked

Revoking a degree is pretty uncommon it would usually be if he was found to have cheated in some way after graduation.
Original post by Joinedup
detection of plagiarism or 'academic misconduct' of some sort would be the main reasons for revoking a degree.

Buuut I'd be suspecting he flunked the degree outright and is now B/S ing everyone to explain why he doesn't have a degree...but if he doesn't want to talk about it I'd not push him on it.

AFAIK it's really pretty unusual to revoke a degree that's been awarded - the LSE revoked Gadaffi's son's PhD after quite a large media uproar, but they didn't seem to want to do it and acted like they'd have been quite happy to let him get away with it if they'd been able to keep it low key.

I’d rather fail knowing it was my best efforts than be labelled a cheat.
Reply 11
Original post by Joinedup

ohhh i see i was suprised that he got so defensive about it he has been BSing certain people about it thats
i was so suprised about it and his reaction to me asking about it i dont want to push him as he is clearly ashamed about what happend but i dont see why he has to lie to us about it
Reply 12
Original post by jonathanemptage
Revoking a degree is pretty uncommon it would usually be if he was found to have cheated in some way after graduation.

ohhhh i see i think plagairism would be the most likely explanation i have pushed him on the subject but he has failed to give me a clear answer to it
Original post by liam189
ohhh i see i was suprised that he got so defensive about it he has been BSing certain people about it thats
i was so suprised about it and his reaction to me asking about it i dont want to push him as he is clearly ashamed about what happend but i dont see why he has to lie to us about it

Maybe he feels you should mind your own business?
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger

but their would be no need to lie to me and others and to be so defensive and aggresive over it he should just tell us straight up to be honest
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger

he should tell us if he felt that way
Original post by liam189
but their would be no need to lie to me and others and to be so defensive and aggresive over it he should just tell us straight up to be honest

What bit of none of your business dont you understand? I can see very well why he wouldnt want to tell you. Why not respect his privacy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending