The Student Room Group

Is November too early to start revision?

clue in the title - for 2018 final a level exams.

(bear in mind I need to improve 2 full grades in 2 subjects based off of AS results)
Reply 1
Original post by ScienceGeek1878

(bear in mind I need to improve 2 full grades in 2 subjects based off of AS results)

It depends on how much effort you are willing to put in from now until the end of the year. It's good to start early but it's pretty pointless if you stop halfway (say in January) and then leave it a few months and then start revising again in April/May again since you may forget most of what you learned earlier and you'll be catching up from material in between too. Consistency is important, how long are you able to keep it up and stay focused on revising up until May? If you keep a constant stream of revision in, such as writing notes from the day you learn them and then reading back over them every few weeks to remind you.

I started around March/April and I wasn't good at long term revision because my memory management wasn't the best (and I was lazy), but it varies from person to person.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by UWS
It depends on how much effort you are willing to put in from now until the end of the year. It's good to start early but it's pretty pointless if you stop halfway (say in January) and then leave it a few months and then start revising again in April/May again since you may forget most of what you learned earlier and you'll be catching up from material in between too. Consistency is important, how long are you able to keep it up and stay focused on revising up until May? If you keep a constant stream of revision in, such as writing notes from the day you learn them and then reading back over them every few weeks to remind you.

I started around March/April and I wasn't good at long term revision because my memory management wasn't the best (and I was lazy), but it varies from person to person.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that. I've never been as motivated to do well as I am now, so I don't know how quickly I would 'Burn out'. I've usually did next to no revision then started doing an average amount from April onwards.
its quite early - maybe dedicate the odd free period you have to extra revision, wouldnt recommend doing 4hrs a day from now

I don’t think it’s too early, but i think it’s beneficial if you create your revision sources as you go along throughout the year! For example, create flash cards, mindmaps, or notes after each topic you learn in class. I think this will save time when it comes to revision time as you’ll have all of your resources complete! Hope this helped
You should be revising as you go, but my teachers have said we should have went over all the AS content by January.
I don't think so now that the a levels are linear as you have to revise all the AS content on top of the A2 content. I wouldn't revise excessively at the moment but revising in November is good prep for mocks:smile:
I'm revising for over 2.5 hours a day (usually 3.5) and have been since a week into A2...I don't wanna risk forgetting everything, and I'm focusing especially on content I found especially hard last year. I'm also making notes all through AS again.

I'm not even doing the most work in my year - one of my friends works past midnight from 16:00 every day (I think she's nuts) and my other friend gets into school from 7:00 AM and stays, studying, until 17:00 Mon-Fri.

So, I'd say no. Not too early at all.

never too early

Never too early, but now is good, I’ve begun at the beginning of September, and carried out till now, but it was quite casual. If you really want those grades push yourself as much as you can. I do work on the day I receive it from a Lesson.

Set yourself deadlines as well. ^_^

Fyi, If you need motivation there are good articles on student room out there. Journey to A*A*A* and youtube videos.

If you know or do maths, there are 3 modules and people have already completed C3 and C4 in In Oct/September 2/3 in less than a few months! I’m willing to do the same before the end of this year.

Hope this helps!
Reply 10
Never too early for A2 - fml
Nah, I Started in September as I have to go from a C to an A (rip me right). Though I have coursework for History and Film this year so it's kinda a mix of revising and working on coursework.

I would recommend starting in November and then slowly bumping up the pace as the month progresses.
It's never too early to start revision in my opinion
If you're willing to put the work in then for sure revision in november is not too early at all
Original post by brrrigid
I'm revising for over 2.5 hours a day (usually 3.5) and have been since a week into A2...I don't wanna risk forgetting everything, and I'm focusing especially on content I found especially hard last year. I'm also making notes all through AS again.

I'm not even doing the most work in my year - one of my friends works past midnight from 16:00 every day (I think she's nuts) and my other friend gets into school from 7:00 AM and stays, studying, until 17:00 Mon-Fri.

So, I'd say no. Not too early at all.

Live your life a little oh my god
Never too early!! Work your ass off and you’ll reap the rewards :biggrin:
Reply 15
There's no time like the present!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending