The Student Room Group

Mature student Childcare

Hi,

can i please get an explanation to how childcare grant is assessed? My husband automatically got working tax credit and i receive child tax credits and child benefit for our 2 girls. Does this disqualify me from getting the childcare grant?
Hi SarahBCU

Do you receive the childcare element of working tax credits?

Thanks Miriam
Reply 2
Hi Miriam, I receive child tax credit and child benefit and he gets working tax credit just as is. It's not childcare element of working tax credit. ie when he was job searching a few months ago (and I a student), he was not getting working tax credit but I was still receiving child tax credit and child benefit. I'm not sure if the issue is in the terminology of it all??... also the HMRC is rolling out universal credit (which hasn't affected us for the last 9 yrs since we got our first daughter) so the names of what we receive are exactly as I put it. I hope you understand what I mean.Many thanks,Sarah
Original post by SarahBCU
Hi Miriam, I receive child tax credit and child benefit and he gets working tax credit just as is. It's not childcare element of working tax credit. ie when he was job searching a few months ago (and I a student), he was not getting working tax credit but I was still receiving child tax credit and child benefit. I'm not sure if the issue is in the terminology of it all??... also the HMRC is rolling out universal credit (which hasn't affected us for the last 9 yrs since we got our first daughter) so the names of what we receive are exactly as I put it. I hope you understand what I mean.Many thanks,Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Receiving Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and Child Benefit won't automatically mean you're not eligible for the Childcare Grant (CCG).

A childcare grant is open to all Means Tested full time students with dependent children, who meet the following criteria:

- they are using a recognised Childcare Provider #

- they have a dependent child under the age of 15* (17 if their child has Special Educational Needs).

- the child must be dependent on the student, not on a partner or third party.

- they are NOT in receipt of the childcare element of Working Families Tax Credits or of Universal Credit as this cannot be claimed at the same time as the CCG.

If all these criteria are met and we have received a Childcare Grant estimates form (which can be printed from here if required) we can assess what support is available based on the household income.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending