The Student Room Group

Accounting on Aberdeen, Heriot Watt or Strathclyde

Hi folks, can anyone give me opinion which of those uni is better for accounting? I was thinking about Aberdeen but then I found Strathclyde uni and they are 2nd in accounting in UK, is that true?
Someone answer
Original post by Daw1d
Hi folks, can anyone give me opinion which of those uni is better for accounting? I was thinking about Aberdeen but then I found Strathclyde uni and they are 2nd in accounting in UK, is that true?

Hi Daw1d,

I'm sure each of the three universities you've highlighted offer excellent degrees in Accounting but if you don't mind I can tell you a bit more about the Accountancy and Finance degree here at Heriot-Watt?

I'll start with the university itself. Heriot-Watt is situated on the outskirts of Edinburgh with really good transport links to the city and a very nice self-contained countryside campus. It has a great community vibe and each undergrad student is signed up to an academic tutor which means you always have a 'go-to' lecturer for academic issues. We also have campuses in Malaysia and Dubai which means if you want to you can study at either of those for one semester or more.

As for the degree, MA Acocuntancy and Finance is accredited by all the main professional bodies in accounting, including:

Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS)

We are consistently ranked highly for Accountancy and Finance - 1st in Scotland and 8th in the UK in the Guardian University League Tables this year - and 90% of recent graduates were in work or further study 6 months after graduating.

Being very industry-focused and based in Edinburgh, our Accountancy and Finance department has excellent links to Edinburgh's financial market - the 2nd biggest in the UK. We have regular guest lectures from industry experts and recently welcomed recruiters from companies like PWC, Ernst and Young, Tesco Bank, Standard Life, Balmoral Asset Management and AAB who came to our careers day to talk graduate positions and internships with our students.

If you were weighing up the three universities mentioned, you might want to think about your preferred city too. Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh are all great places to live but Edinburgh really is special and has a really vibrant student community.

If you've never been you could always come visit for our Open Day on Friday 27th October when you can meet academics, learn more about our courses and tour our campus: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/meet-us/edinburgh-campus-open-day.htm

If you want to know any more I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Daniel (Heriot-Watt, School of Social Sciences)
Reply 3
Original post by Heriot Watt University
Hi Daw1d,

I'm sure each of the three universities you've highlighted offer excellent degrees in Accounting but if you don't mind I can tell you a bit more about the Accountancy and Finance degree here at Heriot-Watt?

I'll start with the university itself. Heriot-Watt is situated on the outskirts of Edinburgh with really good transport links to the city and a very nice self-contained countryside campus. It has a great community vibe and each undergrad student is signed up to an academic tutor which means you always have a 'go-to' lecturer for academic issues. We also have campuses in Malaysia and Dubai which means if you want to you can study at either of those for one semester or more.

As for the degree, MA Acocuntancy and Finance is accredited by all the main professional bodies in accounting, including:

Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
Institute of Chartered Accountants Scotland (ICAS)

We are consistently ranked highly for Accountancy and Finance - 1st in Scotland and 8th in the UK in the Guardian University League Tables this year - and 90% of recent graduates were in work or further study 6 months after graduating.

Being very industry-focused and based in Edinburgh, our Accountancy and Finance department has excellent links to Edinburgh's financial market - the 2nd biggest in the UK. We have regular guest lectures from industry experts and recently welcomed recruiters from companies like PWC, Ernst and Young, Tesco Bank, Standard Life, Balmoral Asset Management and AAB who came to our careers day to talk graduate positions and internships with our students.

If you were weighing up the three universities mentioned, you might want to think about your preferred city too. Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh are all great places to live but Edinburgh really is special and has a really vibrant student community.

If you've never been you could always come visit for our Open Day on Friday 27th October when you can meet academics, learn more about our courses and tour our campus: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/meet-us/edinburgh-campus-open-day.htm

If you want to know any more I'd be happy to help.

Cheers,

Daniel (Heriot-Watt, School of Social Sciences)

Omds thanks for this I'm defo applying there now! Also do they do a year abroad???

Quick Reply

Latest