The Student Room Group

C2 help

the points (-3,19), (-15,1) and (9,1) are vertices of a triangle. Show that a circle centre (-3,6) can be drawn through the vertices of the triangle.

I don't get what i'm supposed to show. From where i see it, the vertices can always be going through the centre of the circle. correct me if i'm wrong.
Original post by Mme_Bonii
the points (-3,19), (-15,1) and (9,1) are vertices of a triangle. Show that a circle centre (-3,6) can be drawn through the vertices of the triangle.

I don't get what i'm supposed to show. From where i see it, the vertices can always be going through the centre of the circle. correct me if i'm wrong.

If the respective distances from (-3, 6) to the three points happened to be the same, they could all be seen as radii of a circle with centre (-3, 6).
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
If the respective distances from (-3, 6) to the three points happened to be the same, they could all be seen as radii of a circle with centre (-3, 6).

What if they’re not the same?
What if they’re not the same?

Then I think it would be best if you posted your working.
Reply 4
Then I think it would be best if you posted your working.

Nevermind, I got the answer. May I ask though, for example when a question says, a point lies on the circle centre (4,6). They mean the circle’s circumference right?
Nevermind, I got the answer. May I ask though, for example when a question says, a point lies on the circle centre (4,6). They mean the circle’s circumference right?

I think the wording would normally be "circle WITH centre (4,6)", but that aside I agree with your interpretation.
Reply 6
I think the wording would normally be "circle WITH centre (4,6)", but that aside I agree with your interpretation.

Yea, i thought of the same thing. But all of the questions in the text book have ‘circle center’ instead of ‘circle with center’. Anyways, thank you for your help!!! I’m a little thick headed😂

Quick Reply

Latest