The Student Room Group

protesting outside an abortion clinic.

recently in the news a council is planning to prevent pro-life campaigners from trying to stop women from having abortions by protesting outside the clinic itself. what do you guys think of it all?

discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sparks17
recently in the news a council is planning to prevent pro-life campaigners from trying to stop women from having abortions by protesting outside the clinic itself. what do you guys think of it all?

discuss.

I personally don't think that anybody should be stopped from voicing their opinions especially on an issue as debated as abortion. If the women want to get the abortion that's there business but people shouldn't be stopped from peacefully protesting something they don't like. If this was the other way around and Pro-choice people were Protesting something that was discerningly pro life then it wouldn't even be in the news.
Reply 2

discuss.

waste of time imo.

when was the last time a protest worked?
Reply 3
Original post by Godofdestruction
I personally don't think that anybody should be stopped from voicing their opinions especially on an issue as debated as abortion. If the women want to get the abortion that's there business but people shouldn't be stopped from peacefully protesting something they don't like. If this was the other way around and Pro-choice people were Protesting something that was discerningly pro life then it wouldn't even be in the news.

exactly, I don't know why pro-life people can't just express their views freely.
Reply 4
Original post by TMC_AMB
waste of time imo.

when was the last time a protest worked?

yeah, but I guess the issue of freedom of speech is the bigger issue in this case.
About ****ing time. I'm guessing this is my local council here in Ealing. Nobody is going to miss these guys. Make no mistake, they aren't protesters, they're bullies. They harass and intimidate women on their way into the clinic, physically and verbally. They are a wretched plague and universally despised by us locals.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you want to protest abortion laws, stand outside parliament and make your voice heard. Surely that is the best way if you really want to see the law changed. That, and coming up with some convincing agruments against abortion.

Some anti-abortion people aren't there to protest abortion laws, they are there to frighten and harass women into not getting abortions. Which just makes them dicks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Despite being 'Pro-choice', I think they should be allowed to PEACEFULLY protest, with facts and figures proven by doctors. A lot of "protesters" are just hurling abuse at the women at the clinics, intimidating them and guilt tripping them. If you have to guilt someone into your point of view, your argument isn't strong enough to be a valid point (in my opinion)
(edited 6 years ago)
And yet look at the protesting someone like the Mogg causes by saying he is anti-abortion when asked for his opinion, with no attempt to push it at all. The whole media circus and publicity exploited by the pro-abortion camp in exchange for that nugget (Catholic MP states belief in the Catholic Church) are precious capital, that's them protesting on a much wider platform. How many times was the message put across, that JRM's views just have no place in this world?

All there is to be is equality by both camps to pursue their ideas within the law, if that balance is broken we need to worry. If it isn't, we don't.
Reply 9
don't people have the right to voice their opinions?
Reply 10
I'm sympathetic to trying to prevent abortions, but we are talking about medical facilities. People should be able to expect privacy going in and out the door. It's not appropriate to stage a protest outside one of them during their operating hours.
The place for a protest is parliament. Attempting to bully and intimidate women away from having an abortion is not a protest, it is coercion. These people are a disgrace.

You can voice your opinion without harassing people. To provide an analogy, you're perfectly entitled to believe that alcohol should be banned, and even to campaign for it to be banned. You're not entitled to stand in the doorway of your local off-license screaming abuse in the face of everyone who walks in about the evils of booze and how terrible a person they are for buying it.

And I hope we can agree that getting an abortion is already a considerably more serious and difficult decision than buying booze.
(edited 6 years ago)
These are not protests, they are deliberate and knowing attempts to bully, harass and embarrass vulnerable women at the most innapropriate time.
I personally never experienced any protests when I had an abortion for which I am grateful but from what I've seen on the news, it often isn't peaceful protesting. Its bullying and harrassment, plain and simple with the goal of trying to guilt trip and shame the woman out of an abortion. I understand people have strong views on abortion, both for and against but right outside a clinic, to me, isn't the place to voice those views.

An abortion is a hard enough thing to go through, even if it is the best thing for you to do in your present circumstances and you are confident and sure of your decision. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for women who have to abort due to medical reasons, rape etc who would love to have a child but can't due to medical reasons or they are traumatised from abuse and they get called a murderer and everything else under the sun during protesting while arriving/departing from the clinic. Like I said, I understand people have different opinions on the subject but so many people fail to see the impact it can have on the women themselves and that's why I would advocate for no protests of any kind to be held at or right outside an abortion clinic but have them at a more sutiable place as I do agree in free speech but there's a time and place for everything for example I don't agree with burials but I would never have a protest during someone's burial.
(edited 6 years ago)

Yes, but what they're doing goes further than that. They're harassing, intimidating and bullying women and couples trying to enter the abortion clinic and the employees at the clinic are probably terrified.
Reply 16
Original post by Rum Ham
I personally never experienced any protests when I had an abortion for which I am grateful but from what I've seen on the news, it often isn't peaceful protesting. Its bullying and harrassment, plain and simple with the goal of trying to guilt trip and shame the woman out of an abortion. I understand people have strong views on abortion, both for and against but right outside a clinic, to me, isn't the place to voice those views.

An abortion is a hard enough thing to go through, even if it is the best thing for you to do in your present circumstances and you are confident and sure of your decision. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for women who have to abort due to medical reasons, rape etc who would love to have a child but can't due to medical reasons or they are traumatised from abuse and they get called a murderer and everything else under the sun during protesting while arriving/departing from the clinic. Like I said, I understand people have different opinions on the subject but so many people fail to see the impact it can have on the women themselves and that's why I would advocate for no protests of any kind to be held at or right outside an abortion clinic but have them at a more sutiable place as I do agree in free speech but there's a time and place for everything for example I don't agree with burials but I would never have a protest during someone's burial.

without being too personal, why are abortions so difficult to go through? why does the woman need so much support?
Reply 17
the protesters are not bullying or being abusive, they are actually peacefully expressing their views, something they have every right to do.
without being too personal, why are abortions so difficult to go through? why does the woman need so much support?

The reason you have to ask why the woman needs support should tell you - it's such a taboo subject.

It's a huge life decision to make and women are often judged if they chose an abortion and tha judgement doesn't just come from strangers at protests but often from family and friends and from my experience, even some of the workers in the clinic itself.

Not to mention that it is a physically painful thing to go through. I found it OK pain wise because I'm used to heavy period but some of the women I was with at the clinic were screaming in pain and on morphine. You also aren't allowed anyone there there for support either at most clinics. My husband wasn't even allowed to sit with me even though I had severe MH problems at the time. It's a very isolating experience.

And like I said in my first post, some women have to abort for medical reasons or chose it due to an act of abuse such as rape. I thought those situations would be understood on why a woman may need support.
Reply 19
Original post by Rum Ham
The reason you have to ask why the woman needs support should tell you - it's such a taboo subject.

It's a huge life decision to make and women are often judged if they chose an abortion and tha judgement doesn't just come from strangers at protests but often from family and friends and from my experience, even some of the workers in the clinic itself.

Not to mention that it is a physically painful thing to go through. I found it OK pain wise because I'm used to heavy period but some of the women I was with at the clinic were screaming in pain and on morphine. You also aren't allowed anyone there there for support either at most clinics. My husband wasn't even allowed to sit with me even though I had severe MH problems at the time. It's a very isolating experience.

And like I said in my first post, some women have to abort for medical reasons or chose it due to an act of abuse such as rape. I thought those situations would be understood on why a woman may need support.

i'm not trying to judge or condemn in any way, but I've always wondered how people can just take it upon themselves to have the right to take away the life of someone else who has no power to defend themselves?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending