The Student Room Group

Being asked by college to ask SFE to refund tuition fees

Hi, I'm a mature student who has had a hard time with completing my HND due to mental health that has the support of GP and DSA.
One of my parents passed away in April during my academic year and the college feel they have been supportive enough with chances at their establishment to complete my HND and said that they weren't paid tuition fees for last academic year. I have checked with student finance which shows that they were paid tuition fees in Sep 17 for academic year 16/17.
My dilemma is that I have pleaded with the college to allow me to retake to complete but they have said that they have given me enough chances.
I have contested that their course in 15/16 was run appallingly as Pearsons stated and was retaking in 16/17. They have provided me with a screen grab which shows that I wasn't enrolled in 16/17 and asking me to claim back all tuition fees direct from SFE. I am appalled as I am a mature student who is going through mental health issues and the college even after enrolling me is now providing me with a screen grab to show that I wasn't enrolled to say to me that I should claim back my tuition fees from SFE. Surely if they haven't provided me with the service I requested they should be refunding me the tuition fees themselves, or why are they doing this instead of allowing me to complete my studies?
Any advice would be welcome.
Original post by Asuma
Hi, I'm a mature student who has had a hard time with completing my HND due to mental health that has the support of GP and DSA.
One of my parents passed away in April during my academic year and the college feel they have been supportive enough with chances at their establishment to complete my HND and said that they weren't paid tuition fees for last academic year. I have checked with student finance which shows that they were paid tuition fees in Sep 17 for academic year 16/17.
My dilemma is that I have pleaded with the college to allow me to retake to complete but they have said that they have given me enough chances.
I have contested that their course in 15/16 was run appallingly as Pearsons stated and was retaking in 16/17. They have provided me with a screen grab which shows that I wasn't enrolled in 16/17 and asking me to claim back all tuition fees direct from SFE. I am appalled as I am a mature student who is going through mental health issues and the college even after enrolling me is now providing me with a screen grab to show that I wasn't enrolled to say to me that I should claim back my tuition fees from SFE. Surely if they haven't provided me with the service I requested they should be refunding me the tuition fees themselves, or why are they doing this instead of allowing me to complete my studies?
Any advice would be welcome.

Hi Asuma,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your college.

If you are unhappy with the service they provide or how they have dealt with you I would advise you to look into their complaints process. You would need to exhaust that process before taking it elsewhere.

With regards to the tuition fees I have a few questions if that's ok?

Was 2015/16 the first year of your HND?

Did you then repeat that first year in 2016/17 with a view to going into second year for 2017/18?

You've noted that the college says you weren't enrolled for 2016/17 but that we paid the fees for that year in September this year, is that correct?

Thanks,

Stuart
Reply 2
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Asuma,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your college.

If you are unhappy with the service they provide or how they have dealt with you I would advise you to look into their complaints process. You would need to exhaust that process before taking it elsewhere.

With regards to the tuition fees I have a few questions if that's ok?

Was 2015/16 the first year of your HND?

Did you then repeat that first year in 2016/17 with a view to going into second year for 2017/18?

You've noted that the college says you weren't enrolled for 2016/17 but that we paid the fees for that year in September this year, is that correct?

Thanks,

Stuart

I have e-mailed the Head of Arts and they said that they hadn't charged Tuition Fees as concession for the badly run year But after enquiring I found that they had received tuition fees.
I studied the HNC in 2012/2013 and successfully completed the HNC with SFE funding and assistance from DSA.
In 2013/2014 I enrolled for the HND but had to withdraw due to Mental Health and family issues with a wife that was heavily pregnant and having issues. So no SFE finance.
In 2015/2016 I enrolled for the HND but this academic year most lecturers had left and all the students agreed that the course was run very badly. I was told I only had a little to do to successfully complete the year.
In 2016/2017 I enrolled again to complete my HND and received funding and approval from DSA but my mental health, anxiety and the passing of a parent in April meant that my attendance was very low. But I received grants and was awarded tuition fees.
With my health I don't really want to battle with any establishment I simply want o complete a course and move on to a top up year.
I don't know what you can advise as had I been informed that they were going to say that they weren't going to keep me enrolled in December I would have pulled out. But to be only informed when appealing their decision not to let me complete my studies that they 'hadn't enrolled' me is baffling.
Just to clarify your question.
I was enrolled in 2016/2017 but the tuition fees for that year were paid:
19th Oct £2016 1062.50, 13th Sep 2017 £1062.50, 20th Sep 2017 £1062.50

I have exhausted the college's complaints procedure, what advice can you offer me now?
Original post by Asuma
I have e-mailed the Head of Arts and they said that they hadn't charged Tuition Fees as concession for the badly run year But after enquiring I found that they had received tuition fees.
I studied the HNC in 2012/2013 and successfully completed the HNC with SFE funding and assistance from DSA.
In 2013/2014 I enrolled for the HND but had to withdraw due to Mental Health and family issues with a wife that was heavily pregnant and having issues. So no SFE finance.
In 2015/2016 I enrolled for the HND but this academic year most lecturers had left and all the students agreed that the course was run very badly. I was told I only had a little to do to successfully complete the year.
In 2016/2017 I enrolled again to complete my HND and received funding and approval from DSA but my mental health, anxiety and the passing of a parent in April meant that my attendance was very low. But I received grants and was awarded tuition fees.
With my health I don't really want to battle with any establishment I simply want o complete a course and move on to a top up year.
I don't know what you can advise as had I been informed that they were going to say that they weren't going to keep me enrolled in December I would have pulled out. But to be only informed when appealing their decision not to let me complete my studies that they 'hadn't enrolled' me is baffling.
Just to clarify your question.
I was enrolled in 2016/2017 but the tuition fees for that year were paid:
19th Oct £2016 1062.50, 13th Sep 2017 £1062.50, 20th Sep 2017 £1062.50

I have exhausted the college's complaints procedure, what advice can you offer me now?

Hi Asuma,

Once you've exhausted the college's process and are not satisfied with the result they should advise you of the next step. The student union may be able to help you.

With the dates of the payments it looks like there had been a change of circumstances performed. At this point though I'd advise giving us a call on 0300 100 0607 to discuss the specifics of your application for that year.

Quite why they've advised you to ask us for a refund is something I can't explain. If they weren't charging you fees but we had made payments they would return any fees that had been overpaid and your student loan balance would be adjusted accordingly. But there may be more information in relation to that on your account.

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending