The Student Room Group

What do you need to know to get an A or A* in English and Maths?

Hi, I'm 21 and retaking my GCSE's, I have until around June next year, I think that's when my exams are. I only go to college in the evening twice a week, two hours for each class, so four hours in total - so, for the most part, I am studying in my own time rather than doing it full time as if I were back at school. I'm just wondering what I should mainly focus on in order to get a high grade? For those of you who achieved good grades, what things did you revise that you felt were beneficial to the grade you received. I'm really wondering what part to focus on regarding English: language techniques, punctuation, ETC. And for maths, I am almost hopeless in that subject, I don't really know where to start and what main things to focus my attention on.
Thanks in advance.
i got a 9 in Maths and a 7 in English, i suggest that you get some practice by using past papers. This is very essential as you are doing your GCSE's again. The GCESs have changed a lot this year!!!Maths:-practice, practice, practice, practice-think outside the box!-Always push yourself to higher grades, such as if you are doing grade C/B work, and you think it is easy push your self to grade A stuff.English:-Memorise the questions and what the questions what you to do
Original post by Razrob17
Hi, I'm 21 and retaking my GCSE's, I have until around June next year, I think that's when my exams are. I only go to college in the evening twice a week, two hours for each class, so four hours in total - so, for the most part, I am studying in my own time rather than doing it full time as if I were back at school. I'm just wondering what I should mainly focus on in order to get a high grade? For those of you who achieved good grades, what things did you revise that you felt were beneficial to the grade you received. I'm really wondering what part to focus on regarding English: language techniques, punctuation, ETC. And for maths, I am almost hopeless in that subject, I don't really know where to start and what main things to focus my attention on.
Thanks in advance.

Do you have more information, such as whether you're doing GCSEs or IGCSEs?
Reply 3
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots
Do you have more information, such as whether you're doing GCSEs or IGCSEs?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've only seen it referred to as GCSE by my teachers and on the small booklets I received it just says "GCSE English" and "GCSE Maths"
Original post by Razrob17
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've only seen it referred to as GCSE by my teachers and on the small booklets I received it just says "GCSE English" and "GCSE Maths"

If possible, ask your teachers for the exam board and qualification. I think we'll be able to help you more then :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots
If possible, ask your teachers for the exam board and qualification. I think we'll be able to help you more then :smile:

Hey, it's English Language and AQA. I'm not sure about maths
Hi!

For maths, practise papers are the key. Physics & Maths tutor (google it) has LOADS of questions for you to work through right there. Making notes for maths can sometimes help too; if you come across a question that you are unsure about, note it down, return to it, and learn the technique from the mark scheme to earn those marks.

English Language is a bit of a hit and miss. Some years have good topics- others are bad. The spec has changed dramatically so I suggest reading what the examiners want in the reports. Also, practise grammar and spelling, sentence structure and punctuation, all by choosing a random topic to rant about and asking a teacher to mark it. Then move on to different types of prose: narrative, descriptive, reports, news articles, speeches, persuasive language etc. There is so much room for creativity and as long as you have someone to double check it for you, you can only improve. After that, you can analyse the language you used and compare with language techniques for different pieces of prose.
A tip I got for my GCSEs, was to write key vocab words, punctuation and connecting words that I wanted to include, such as 'plethora' or 'consequently'. When planning, draw a mind map with your main ideas around the central bubble, and at least a few more points branching off to show development and in-depth processing of each point. It's also a good idea to keep referring back to the question, asking yourself, "am I writing what the examiner needs to see?".

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for the reply. Also, I think my maths is OCR. It says that on one of the papers I was doing today, I don't know if it's the same exam board when it comes to the actual exams though, not sure.
Reply 8
Anybody know what specifically I should study guys? I think my maths is OCR and my English language is AQA

Quick Reply

Latest