The Student Room Group

FP2 or FP3?

So for my Further Maths A2 we've been given the choice of S2 (unfortunately...) and one of FP2 and FP3 (we're already doing M2 as the first option). My teacher isn't willing to teach both FP2 and FP3, before you ask, he's already said that's not happening. Just a little unsure on which one to choose.

Is there a significant difference in which one is "easier" to get a high mark in? I got an A in my AS and am aiming for an A this year too. And also, I want to do Maths at uni so (I'm guessing not, but...) are there any huge topics in either that I'd be at a disadvantage if I didn't know them?

If it makes any difference, my exam board is Edexcel :smile:
Original post by Protostar
x

I don't really know about which one is easier because I find it difficult to separate modules by difficulty. My advice would be to look at the topics and decide which interest you more. Personally, FP2 is more appealing because it covers differential equations, Taylor and Maclaurin series, telescoping series, Euler's formula and more, all of which I find really cool. FP3 is also very interesting, just that I find the FP2 stuff more interesting. Maybe it would suit you more though, if you like stuff about vectors (lines and planes and stuff), matrices, more trig (hyperbolic trig functions) and so on.

TL;DR have a look at the content of each and decide based on your favourite topics? I'm not sure about the typical exam boundaries but they seem about as hard as each other to me. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more insight on that.

Here's a link to the syllabus: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
FP3 is the smaller module and imo the easier out of the two.

It's also fun, unlike FP2. Group theory can be a b*tch though
Original post by I hate maths
I don't really know about which one is easier because I find it difficult to separate modules by difficulty. My advice would be to look at the topics and decide which interest you more. Personally, FP2 is more appealing because it covers differential equations, Taylor and Maclaurin series, telescoping series, Euler's formula and more, all of which I find really cool. FP3 is also very interesting, just that I find the FP2 stuff more interesting. Maybe it would suit you more though, if you like stuff about vectors (lines and planes and stuff), matrices, more trig (hyperbolic trig functions) and so on.

TL;DR have a look at the content of each and decide based on your favourite topics? I'm not sure about the typical exam boundaries but they seem about as hard as each other to me. Maybe someone else will be able to provide more insight on that.

Here's a link to the syllabus: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UA035243_GCE_Lin_Maths_Issue_3.pdf

Thank you! Judging by the content at a first glance, FP3 looks like the one I'd personally find better, but FP2 sounds good too :dontknow: Might go for FP3 and see about learning some FP2 stuff after exams? Or would that be too extra :lol:

Original post by SGHD26716
FP3 is the smaller module and imo the easier out of the two.

It's also fun, unlike FP2. Group theory can be a b*tch though

Nice, will take this into account :smile:

Original post by Dashboard
Do both! Ask not to do s2 and self teach one of them. Well worth it and far more interesting/useful than stats

I'd be terrible at self teaching one of them cos I'd find them too hard on my own :lol: a decent suggestion though!
x

If you're leaning more towards FP3 content, then I say go for it man. Everyone works better when they are motivated and interested in what they are learning. Also I don't think having a look at the FP2 stuff (despite choosing FP3) would be too extra at all, since you'll probably come across it sooner or later as you mentioned you want to do a maths degree.
So for my Further Maths A2 we've been given the choice of S2 (unfortunately...) and one of FP2 and FP3 (we're already doing M2 as the first option). My teacher isn't willing to teach both FP2 and FP3, before you ask, he's already said that's not happening. Just a little unsure on which one to choose.

Is there a significant difference in which one is "easier" to get a high mark in? I got an A in my AS and am aiming for an A this year too. And also, I want to do Maths at uni so (I'm guessing not, but...) are there any huge topics in either that I'd be at a disadvantage if I didn't know them?

If it makes any difference, my exam board is Edexcel :smile:

Have a glance at what module looks more interesting, because that will probably be the one you can score higher in. I got higher in FP2, but got decent marks in both if that helps; but I did do much more work for FP2.

Whether you do FP2 or FP3 probably won't matter for a maths degree.

Quick Reply

Latest