The Student Room Group

Will mentioning an eating disorder affect my application [Oxford Uni]?

Do you think mentioning that I have an eating disorder will affect my application? Or maybe I shouldn't say anything about it? I've had it over 6 years and I'm not recovered. I am at a stable state now but underweight (not severely tho). I'm also an international student and don't want them to see my as a stack of troubles:P I just wonder because I've heard numerous different opinions - some say they could use that to point blank reject you or disvantage you but some say that it wouldn't decrease your chances but in case of anything they'd be able to provide support.
Original post by natalieetx
Do you think mentioning that I have an eating disorder will affect my application? Or maybe I shouldn't say anything about it? I've had it over 6 years and I'm not recovered. I am at a stable state now but underweight (not severely tho). I'm also an international student and don't want them to see my as a stack of troubles:P I just wonder because I've heard numerous different opinions - some say they could use that to point blank reject you or disvantage you but some say that it wouldn't decrease your chances but in case of anything they'd be able to provide support.

We have had applicants with eating disorders and imagine this must also be the case at other colleges since the incidence of eating disorders is around 1 in 20 students.

In our experience, eating disorders are sometimes disclosed at point of application and we have been asked to make adjustments at interview (for example, some candidates opt not to stay in college accommodation). Sometimes they are not disclosed and we find that what tends to happen in the most serious cases is that post-offer we receive requests to defer entry, including letters from doctors written on behalf of candidates.

In these cases, where possible, we allow time for recovery and follow guidance published by HEOPs in this area (which a number of University's also follow):

http://www.heops.org.uk/heops_guidance_fitness_to_study_with_severe_eating_disorders.pdf

Unfortunately, a year may not be long enough for a student to be recover suficiently from what is often a long-running condition. In these cases there is only the option of inviting the student to reapply when they are recovered if they still wish to study at Oxford.
Reply 2
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
We have had applicants with eating disorders and imagine this must also be the case at other colleges since the incidence of eating disorders is around 1 in 20 students.

In our experience, eating disorders are sometimes disclosed at point of application and we have been asked to make adjustments at interview (for example, some candidates opt not to stay in college accommodation). Sometimes they are not disclosed and we find that what tends to happen in the most serious cases is that post-offer we receive requests to defer entry, including letters from doctors written on behalf of candidates.

In these cases, where possible, we allow time for recovery and follow guidance published by HEOPs in this area (which a number of University's also follow):

http://www.heops.org.uk/heops_guidance_fitness_to_study_with_severe_eating_disorders.pdf

Unfortunately, a year may not be long enough for a student to be recover suficiently from what is often a long-running condition. In these cases there is only the option of inviting the student to reapply when they are recovered if they still wish to study at Oxford.

Thank you for response. Do you require additional information (such as BMI) if a student discloses information about their illness at the time of application? Do you have any BMI threshold?
Thank you for response. Do you require additional information (such as BMI) if a student discloses information about their illness at the time of application? Do you have any BMI threshold?

If an applicant was unable to take up an offer to study because of a severe rating disorder, we would involve a College Doctor or other medical professional and ask them to liaise with the candidate, sharing confidential notes from the GP treating her/him. BMI is important in such cases but it is not the only factor.

We would ask for medical confirmation that the student was fit to study - with reasonable adjustments and support if needed (usually after deferral), taking the HEOPs guidance into account. The medical notes would not pass across our desk and we would rely on medical advice.

By no means all eating disorders are severe - there are a variety of conditions and we are not saying this procedure applies in all cases. It tends to apply when we are written to by an applicant's doctor and a deferral is requested.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
If an applicant was unable to take up an offer to study because of a severe rating disorder, we would involve a College Doctor or other medical professional and ask them to liaise with the candidate, sharing confidential notes from the GP treating her/him. BMI is important in such cases but it is not the only factor.

We would ask for medical confirmation that the student was fit to study - with reasonable adjustments and support if needed (usually after deferral), taking the HEOPs guidance into account. The medical notes would not pass across our desk and we would rely on medical advice.

By no means all eating disorders are severe - there are a variety of conditions and we are not saying this procedure applies in all cases. It tends to apply when we are written do by an applicant's doctor and a deferral is requested.

I understand, thank you. My BMI is quite low as I'm short (around 15-16) but my condition is good now and I would manage to take up an offer to study and I believe that my doctor could confirm that. Would you be able to give me an offer (not deferred entry) then (if I would successfully get through the admission process)?
I understand, thank you. My BMI is quite low as I'm short (around 15-16) but my condition is good now and I would manage to take up an offer to study and I believe that my doctor could confirm that. Would you be able to give me an offer (not deferred entry) then (if I would successfully get through the admission process)?

Yes and we have done so in cases such as this.

By no means all eating disorders are severe - there are a variety of conditions and we are not saying this procedure applies in all cases. It tends to apply when we are written to by an applicant's doctor and a deferral is requested.

Just to say what a helpful reply this is. It provides the essential info in an open and understanding way without the questioner needing to disclose any identifying details. Well done, @BrasenoseAdm (and TSR)

Quick Reply

Latest