The Student Room Group

Should I transfer course or drop out?

So I just started studying BA Media Communications a week ago. After just coming back from a kind-of gap year, I thought studying media communications would be great as I have studied Media Studies (grade C) at A-level. However after my first week of inductions and 2 lectures, I don't think this course will be in my favour in terms of writing, theory etc.

If I were to drop out that would be a total waste and potentially ruin a years of financing a 3 year course. Previously in 2015, just after finishing Sixth Form I studied Game Design at Greenwich but dropped out after 2 months as I just chose a course I thought I could do and due to pressure of my parent's wanting me to go university. Dropping out no would leave me with only 2 years of financing so it isn't the best option right now.

There is another course that I think could work in favour of what I like and the field of study it goes towards which is BA Public Relations. I have previously studied BTEC Extended Diploma Business gaining a grade of DDM. Public Relations has more of the business groundwork that I think is more beneficial to me.

Do you think I can transfer courses or will it still affect my finance/tuition fees?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Notanaveragedude
So I just started studying BA Media Communications a week ago. After just coming back from a kind-of gap year, I thought studying media communications would be great as I have studied Media Studies (grade C) at A-level. However after my first week of inductions and 2 lectures, I don't think this course will be in my favour in terms of writing, theory etc.

If I were to drop out that would be a total waste and potentially ruin a years of financing a 3 year course. Previously in 2015, just after finishing Sixth Form I studied Game Design at Greenwich but dropped out after 2 months as I just chose a course I thought I could do and due to pressure of my parent's wanting me to go university. Dropping out no would leave me with only 2 years of financing so it isn't the best option right now.

There is another course that I think could work in favour of what I like and the field of study it goes towards which is BA Public Relations. I have previously studied BTEC Extended Diploma Business gaining a grade of DDM. Public Relations has more of the business groundwork that I think is more beneficial to me.

Do you think I can transfer courses or will it still affect my finance/tuition fees?

You are going to have to ask them and sooner rather than later.

Tbh considering youve made the wrong choice before and taken a gap year then youve done a good job of making a big mess for yourself. You obviously didnt do your research. You now have little choice.

If its the same uni then they may accept no chance in finance , but if its a different uni then you have an issue as to whether your current uni will let you go.

If they wont then you are going to have to develop a mental illness as an excuse to leave.
Original post by 999tigger
You are going to have to ask them and sooner rather than later.

Tbh considering youve made the wrong choice before and taken a gap year then youve done a good job of making a big mess for yourself. You obviously didnt do your research. You now have little choice.

If its the same uni then they may accept no chance in finance , but if its a different uni then you have an issue as to whether your current uni will let you go.

If they wont then you are going to have to develop a mental illness as an excuse to leave.

Dropping out now would mean I can only do an HND later on once I have done the search and realising the commitment I am putting to go to university. However that puts me a in a bad spot for how much student finance I'll be paying in the future.

I did not get a grant this year and just got maintenance loan, but they may have somehow overpaid me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending