The Student Room Group

Catalexit

The EU could be about to shrink a bit more and lose one of its strongest economic areas...
Good.
Original post by CoffeeGeek
Good.

What, not all TSR community assistants are ignorant momentum europhiles?!
One called bornblue literally just wasted 30 minutes of his life quoting me trying to pretend the EU doesn't set minimum VAT levels for member states.

A quick search on google would have shown I was correct (not his fault for not knowing the extent the EU controls us most don't know we can't even set tariff levels) but instead he chose to continue contradicting me and lying, then deleted my post for revealing the truth!
Reply 3
Original post by Hatter_2
The EU could be about to shrink a bit more and lose one of its strongest economic areas...

Don't see it myself. Spain has taken a pretty strong line on this, and the Catalan Government backpeddled today.
Catalan government stated they want to join the EU after that. and catalans are pretty pro EU.

come on why do euroskeptics get wet over this.
Original post by HucktheForde
Catalan government stated they want to join the EU after that. and catalans are pretty pro EU.

If Catalan did go independent the Spanish would most likely veto their application to join to discourage the basques from going independent too.

Personally I don’t think they will go free unless Spain agrees a legal referendum
Original post by HucktheForde

My guess? Because Spain will never ever ever say yes to allowing Catalan to join the EU. Not that it will matter, since Spain will never let them leave.

And the EU Commission on Human Rights, Article 10 specifically states 'Territorial integrity' as one of the many issues over which citizens have no right to freedom of expression or information on.

My guess? Spain dissolves Catalan parliament, then shuts down all dissenting voices. The reason the EU didn't condemn Spain's heavy-handed actions during the referendum is simply that you have the human right to get your head kicked in by jackboots if you question your governments legitimacy.

So, in descending order of likelihood:

Spain will dissolve the Catalan parliament, then refuse to let it secede. If it does secede, Spain(And Italy and a few other countries facing their own independence movements) will block them joining the EU to prevent similar occurrences in their own territories.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
My guess? Because Spain will never ever ever say yes to allowing Catalan to join the EU. Not that it will matter, since Spain will never let them leave.

Greek Cyprus admitted the de facto existence of Turkish Cyprus long before it joined the EU and Turkish Cyprus is not for all practical purposes in the EU.

If Spain denies the de facto existence of an independent Catalonia then Catalonia only ceases to be in the EU to the extent the Catalan government (which wants to be in the EU) denies that it is in the EU.

Let us say there is a flight from Paris to Barcelona. Does the Catalan government admit the validity of the Schengen visa of an American?

Now look at the reverse flight. As far as the French government is concerned, it has to treat the flight as an intra-Schengen flight from Spain.

The same principle will apply to a VAT invoice or to manufactured goods.
Original post by nulli tertius
Greek Cyprus admitted the de facto existence of Turkish Cyprus long before it joined the EU and Turkish Cyprus is not for all practical purposes in the EU.

If Spain denies the de facto existence of an independent Catalonia then Catalonia only ceases to be in the EU to the extent the Catalan government (which wants to be in the EU) denies that it is in the EU.

Let us say there is a flight from Paris to Barcelona. Does the Catalan government admit the validity of the Schengen visa of an American?

Now look at the reverse flight. As far as the French government is concerned, it has to treat the flight as an intra-Schengen flight from Spain.

The same principle will apply to a VAT invoice or to manufactured goods.

Only if the very specific scenario of, "Catalan government declares independence, Spain doesn't recognize it, Catalan successfully splits off a' la Taiwan in the UK, EU doesn't recognize the difference and Spain allows all traffic in and out of the rogue nation." occurs.

If that scenario does not occur and there are either sanctions against Catalan by Spain(And, by extension, the EU) or Spain simply sends in the military(As they have the right to do under EU law), then we are looking at a different scenario.
Reply 9
I think you mean "Catasalir".
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Only if the very specific scenario of, "Catalan government declares independence, Spain doesn't recognize it, Catalan successfully splits off a' la Taiwan in the UK, EU doesn't recognize the difference and Spain allows all traffic in and out of the rogue nation." occurs.

I agree but that looks to be the way it is going. No blockade, paramilitary policing, the bins still being emptied but effectively two rival governments occupying the same space. The Dail sitting at The Mansion House and the Lord Lieutenant in Dublin Castle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending