The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Should I apply for two courses at the same uni?

I really wanna go to Leeds to do Chemistry and i'd like to do the year abroad as well. Is it worth apply for both Chemistry (Bsci) and Chemistry with a year abroad, as the bsci entry requirements are ABB whilst year abroad is AAB. Or will i just get one offer anyway??
Just apply the straight Chemistry, then when you get here apply for the year abroad and just change the name of the course
You need to have a 2:1 by the end of second to go regardless of your A levels
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
It's a wasted application spot, they will determine if you're suitable on just one, all Uni's let you extend courses to placements/integrated masters after the first year if they think your grades reflect it.
My friend applied to two courses at UEA and got offers for both. It does waste a spot as above poster said because the uni could reject you both times and then you've lost 2 options instead of just 1.
(Also, I currently study Chemistry at Leeds, doing my 4th year, if you've got any questions, feel free to ask :smile:)
Original post by ellsvc
I really wanna go to Leeds to do Chemistry

The obvious and most useful thing to do is to call the chemistry admissions team at Leeds and explain your situation and ask their advice. This will establish a personal connection which can only help you and also lead to you getting authoritative advice, from those most concerned, on what to do.
Original post by ellsvc
I really wanna go to Leeds to do Chemistry and i'd like to do the year abroad as well. Is it worth apply for both Chemistry (Bsci) and Chemistry with a year abroad, as the bsci entry requirements are ABB whilst year abroad is AAB. Or will i just get one offer anyway??

There's a chance you may not be able to switch courses as the year abroad course may have limited places at other institutions abroad.

If you want to go Leeds you could apply for both, but I'm not sure how competitive it is there.
Reply 7
Original post by DrawTheLine
My friend applied to two courses at UEA and got offers for both. It does waste a spot as above poster said because the uni could reject you both times and then you've lost 2 options instead of just 1.

ah I didn't think about that, that's a good point thank you!!!
Reply 8
Original post by iElvendork
(Also, I currently study Chemistry at Leeds, doing my 4th year, if you've got any questions, feel free to ask :smile:)

ah that's sick! do you enjoy it? (i guess that's an obvious question). I really wanna go lmao
Reply 9
Just apply the straight Chemistry, then when you get here apply for the year abroad and just change the name of the course
You need to have a 2:1 by the end of second to go regardless of your A levels

i saw that on the website i'm just worried spots get taken up by people who apply for chem with a year abroad? do you know if it's competitive?
Original post by ellsvc
ah that's sick! do you enjoy it? (i guess that's an obvious question). I really wanna go lmao

It's challenging, but really interesting, made so many good friends and the lecturers are very friendly when you have questions

Original post by ellsvc
i saw that on the website i'm just worried spots get taken up by people who apply for chem with a year abroad? do you know if it's competitive?

You apply for study abroad at the start of second year, and places aren't guaranteed to anyone, including those who applied for the year abroad course, its just how many places are available each year from the abroad unis. A lot of people do apply, off the top of my head I know of 8 people that did year abroads and have just come back into 4th/3rd year. There's a bit more emphasis on placements.
If you do end up going to Leeds, you get a personal tutor, just discuss with them that you'd like to do a study abroad and they'll advise and help you with references and whatever

I love Leeds
Reply 11
It's challenging, but really interesting, made so many good friends and the lecturers are very friendly when you have questions

You apply for study abroad at the start of second year, and places aren't guaranteed to anyone, including those who applied for the year abroad course, its just how many places are available each year from the abroad unis. A lot of people do apply, off the top of my head I know of 8 people that did year abroads and have just come back into 4th/3rd year. There's a bit more emphasis on placements.
If you do end up going to Leeds, you get a personal tutor, just discuss with them that you'd like to do a study abroad and they'll advise and help you with references and whatever

I love Leeds

Thank you so much this really helps
Original post by ells100
Thank you so much this really helps

Also, this is something nobody tells you;
If you apply for the SA course, and it's AAB, but on results day you get ABB, they'll still accept you, you'll just be placed on the normal BSc course
So don't worry about which one you apply for, as long as you get ABB you'll be accepted onto a chemistry course
Reply 13

I was wondering (since you've done chemistry at Leeds) if you think it's a good idea to apply for both chemistry and medicinal chemistry or will that make me less likely to get an offer :smile:
Original post by ells100
I was wondering (since you've done chemistry at Leeds) if you think it's a good idea to apply for both chemistry and medicinal chemistry or will that make me less likely to get an offer :smile:

Not necessarily less likely to get an offer, but you can change between courses when you arrive. First year of all courses are identical anyway, it's only second year when they start to differ slightly (1 module and lab experiments)
If you are predicted at least ABB, maybe even BBB they will consider you and invite you for an applicant day with an informal interview

Quick Reply

Latest