The Student Room Group

Chemistry-Rate Equations

How does the acid catalyst affect the Rates equation? Is it included in the equation?

E.g. J reacts to form K and L in the presence of an acid catalyst. What is the Rates equation?

The data gives the Concentrations of J and another letter, H, assuming it is the catalyst.

Also, how does a number beside the compound affect the equation?

P reacts with Q in the presence of an acid catalyst.

E.g. P + Q —> 2R

Please.... help....
Original post by EnglishNoobC
How does the acid catalyst affect the Rates equation? Is it included in the equation?

E.g. J reacts to form K and L in the presence of an acid catalyst. What is the Rates equation?

The data gives the Concentrations of J and another letter, H, assuming it is the catalyst.

Also, how does a number beside the compound affect the equation?

P reacts with Q in the presence of an acid catalyst.

E.g. P Q —> 2R

Please.... help....

A catalyst does not affect the rate equation. and the equation is based upon how each reactants concentration affects the rate of the reaction
(edited 6 years ago)
Rate equation is only affected by temperature as the rate constant, k, is specific for a given temperature
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HeadHoncho
Rate equation is only affected by temperature as the rate constant, k, is specific for a given temperature

The coefficient of a reactant I.e the 2 in 2R, is the number that reactant is raised to in the rate equation I.e [R]^2

But R is a product, hence not in the rate equation.

2R just means 2 moles of R are produced in the balanced equation. It doesn't appear in the rate equation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TutorsChemistry
But R is a product, hence not in the rate equation.

2R just means 2 moles of R are produced in the balanced equation. It doesn't appear in the rate equation.

My example used R as a reactant
My example used R as a reactant

That's going to get confusing when the equation given shows R as a product.
That's going to get confusing when the equation given shows R as a product.

True I’ll change it to P
True I’ll change it to P

The indices information is incorrect too. The moles does not define the order of reaction for that reactant.
Maybe just easier if you delete it?
Original post by ASHLEYTMK
A catalyst does not affect the rate equation. and the equation is based upon how each reactants concentration affects the rate of the reaction

Right, but is it included in the rate equation?

The data gives the concentration of it too, so it leads me to believe we’re supposed to use it somehow?
Original post by EnglishNoobC
Right, but is it included in the rate equation?

The data gives the concentration of it too, so it leads me to believe we’re supposed to use it somehow?

No, it's not included
Original post by ASHLEYTMK
No, it's not included

Right.

Somebody just wasted 4 hours of their life going through with this ****...
The indices information is incorrect too. The moles does not define the order of reaction for that reactant.
Maybe just easier if you delete it?

I confused Kc with rates lol

Quick Reply

Latest