The Student Room Group

Is this hindering my job prospects?

I am getting responses to my CV (not often, but frequently) and I have been to 3 interviews over the past 4-5 weeks.

I consider myself to be quite intellectual, self and academically educated, well-spoken with a strong vocabulary and I project this in interviews (this is just the way I am). The interviews I have had are mostly entry-level and Admin jobs which you do not really require a degree, however I have a degree also.

Is my rather ambitious, politician-like personality and being overqualified hindering my potential for job offers for jobs at the "lower" end of the spectrum? Do I have to act a little more "stupid" (for lack of better term)?

All I want is a job because we all got to start from somewhere, but then I get rejected; I am not even given a chance even though I have a decent amount of experience for these jobs and present myself well at interviews.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's quite possible that they feel you're over-qualified for the calibre of jobs you're applying for. Might be worth looking for something a bit more challenging perhaps? Or maybe it's just not meant to be as of yet, you'll most likely find something that's best suited to you soon enough.
Reply 2
Original post by AnEvolvedApe
I am getting responses to my CV (not often, but frequently) and I have been to 3 interviews over the past 4-5 weeks.

I consider myself to be quite intellectual, self and academically educated, well-spoken with a strong vocabulary and I project this in interviews (this is just the way I am). The interviews I have had are mostly entry-level and Admin jobs which you do not really require a degree, however I have a degree also.

Is my rather ambitious, politician-like personality and being overqualified hindering my potential for job offers for jobs at the "lower" end of the spectrum? Do I have to act a little more "stupid" (for lack of better term)?

All I want is a job because we all got to start from somewhere, but then I get rejected; I am not even given a chance even though I have a decent amount of experience for these jobs and present myself well at interviews.

Hi AnEvolvedApe,

This is possible, however, I think it's mostly due to the roles not being the right fit for you. You don't want to work somewhere where you cannot use your strengths and have to stifle your ability, you just won't last. Maybe try applying for higher level roles, or applying for entry-level roles in organisations which encourage development and have an opportunity for a bit more longevity.

I know someone with a masters degree who was rejected from a lower level role because they thought they would be bored, or leave the role quickly. Essentially that was true, they just wanted a job, any job, but now they have their dream job after a few tough months of rejection from entry level roles.

Also, I would recommend contacting the company before you make an application to speak about the role, as it will save you a lot of time in the long-run and if the employer thinks you're worth seeing they'll tell you to apply.

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by zsayani
It's quite possible that they feel you're over-qualified for the calibre of jobs you're applying for. Might be worth looking for something a bit more challenging perhaps? Or maybe it's just not meant to be as of yet, you'll most likely find something that's best suited to you soon enough.

This is true. I got rejected from a job because they felt it would not challenge me enough and I would find the role too repetitive.

It's really difficult, since you can't wait around forever for your ideal role. After a few months, people wonder why you have a CV gap, suggesting that it's better to just find any role whilst you search.
Original post by zsayani
It's quite possible

Original post by avecmoi
Hi AnEvolvedApe, This is possible, !

Original post by jb9390
This is true.

Hey. I am glad to see that I am not the only one having trouble here. I have considered applying to more higher level jobs but then I get concerned with being under-qualified and inexperienced! It's a tremendous catch-22.

I applied to a management job and I surprisingly did get a call back as the agency liked my CV (it is a reputable agency and not those shady ones). Whilst they had the decency to call me, they were emphasising that it is a tough job and they are probably looking for someone with a particular qualification. So, because of this, I did not assert my way towards getting an interview.

I cannot seem to find a levelled middle-ground.

I am either applying to jobs I am overqualified for, or applying to jobs I am under-qualified for.

You think you are too good for the job you are applying for, just because you have a degree?

If this is the attitude that young people have these days, the world is completely screwed.
Original post by Kenneye_j
You think you are too good for the job you are applying for, just because you have a degree?

If this is the attitude that young people have these days, the world is completely screwed.

No. Do not misconstrue my posts. My concern is my practical personality during interviews, the fact that I have a very spotless/detailed CV and that I present myself as ambitious (all of which I think scare employers when applying for menial jobs). The degree is just a bonus.

How else should I respond? I am applying for menial, entry-level jobs that requires little/no experience, but please tell me why I am not successful if you are so sure that it is my attitude? I tried to get a job in a tiny newsagent but the manager was suspicious since I am a graduate looking for a part-time min. wage job...
No. Do not misconstrue my posts. My concern is my practical personality during interviews, the fact that I have a very spotless/detailed CV and that I present myself as ambitious (all of which I think scare employers when applying for menial jobs). The degree is just a bonus.

How else should I respond? I am applying for menial, entry-level jobs that requires little/no experience, but please tell me why I am not successful if you are so sure that it is my attitude? I tried to get a job in a tiny newsagent but the manager was suspicious since I am a graduate looking for a part-time min. wage job...

So the solution is simple: Don't put that you have a degree, or anything else that you *think* makes you undesirable for the job on your CV, just appear as an *actually likable* person. Did you really have to ask on a forum populated by kids to find that out? If you had to, then I'm surprised you have a degree. Speaking of which, what is your degree, BTEC Level 4 Sports?

Welcome to the real world you muppet. Realize that you didn't get the job because they don't want some stuck up person who thinks they are too good working with them. If they like you, they will employ you.
(edited 6 years ago)

I consider myself to be quite intellectual...

You don't talk like this in interview/ cover letters, do you?

Why are you chasing entry-level and admin jobs if you're so educated and ambitious?

I cannot seem to find a levelled middle-ground.

I am either applying to jobs I am overqualified for, or applying to jobs I am under-qualified for.

And what do you want to apply for in the long term that entry-level and admin experience will help you to secure?

I suggest aiming for roles where it isn't unusual to have a degree/ be ambitious.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You don't talk like this in interview/ cover letters, do you?

Why are you chasing entry-level and admin jobs if you're so educated and ambitious?

And what do you want to apply for in the long term that entry-level and admin experience will help you to secure?

I suggest aiming for roles where it isn't unusual to have a degree/ be ambitious.

Yes, I have very much recently come to that conclusion and am pursuing roles where my personality will likely fit. All I was trying to get was the good ole' "any" job, but that has been struggle and I am getting more responses from my technical and "upper" job applications. Hence why I made this thread, to gain insight. Additionally, I do not talk like "this" in interviews or cover letters. I try to focus on the job and present my experience/skills, like we all should, yes?
(edited 6 years ago)
Well, you sound like scum. If you despise young individuals or "kids", then why are you on this forum?

I am not changing my personal interests and personality to please a bunch of individuals who are stuck up in themselves .

I have tried the efforts you describe which I have already discovered before you felt idiotically obliged to state them. Also, I am mostly referring to the Interview itself, not CV's as much, and I get along well with people and considered "likeable", you anus!

Traditional recruitment hardly exists anymore, so go back to your macho construction job and have a pint.

Clearly you're the one that isnt coming across as very professional or friendly/humble etc if you are getting interviews but then no job offers. You seem to be trying to blame everyone else and you're unwilling to change anything about yourself to get a job, it doesnt need to be a drastic change, just have a tweaked work and interview personality if that is what is getting you rejected. If you come across in interview as you have here, no one is going to want to work with you, which for entry level jobs is what part of the interview is about (and the other parts are things like do they have the skills they said they had on their CV etc)

If you have a politician like personality, as you say you do, then you are probably coming across as a snob and a lot people dont want to work with snobs tbh. It might 'only be a entry level position' but that means they probably interview a good amount of people and they will just take the people that come across as friendly, easy to work with, have the ability to do the job and hard working instead of someone that can do the job but comes across as a snob.
Original post by madmadmax321
Clearly you're the one that isnt coming across as very professional or friendly/humble etc if you are getting interviews but then no job offers. You seem to be trying to blame everyone else and you're unwilling to change anything about yourself to get a job, it doesnt need to be a drastic change, just have a tweaked work and interview personality if that is what is getting you rejected. If you come across in interview as you have here, no one is going to want to work with you, which for entry level jobs is what part of the interview is about (and the other parts are things like do they have the skills they said they had on their CV etc)

If you have a politician like personality, as you say you do, then you are probably coming across as a snob and a lot people dont want to work with snobs tbh. It might 'only be a entry level position' but that means they probably interview a good amount of people and they will just take the people that come across as friendly, easy to work with, have the ability to do the job and hard working instead of someone that can do the job but comes across as a snob.

I guess I will just apply to snobby jobs then! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I guess I will just apply to snobby jobs then! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

lol you clearly don't want a job that much. You're going to find yourself struggling to get any position with your attitude, hopefully you realise one day
"Politician-like" may not have been the right term to use. But, I don't consider myself a follower who must be submissive to their job and put up or shut up, by any means or an "energetic" person as these employers so much desire.

I am just laid-back, serious and yes, very professional in my approach despite the accusations without an intention to "fit in" to a particular culture. These are my personal traits anyway as to which should have no bearing whatsoever on the skills I could bring to the job. Again, having a degree and displaying an extraordinary sense of ambition more so hinders my prospects as evidenced from my previous encounters looking for menial work.
I have been a hiring manager, and i also have been asked to interview job applicants. Say that i have one job, and two applicants. The applicants are essentially equivalent, except that one of them has a degree, the other does not. The degree does NOT directly apply to the job to be done. Which one do i hire??? My answer is: "the one with the degree". WHY??? The reason is, i KNOW that the one with the degree had to work all night on occasion, over their birthday, Christmas, New Years, other holidays, in order to get the required work out to get their degree. I know this, because i had to do the exact same thing in order to get my degree. In fact, i had to do it TWICE, because i have a master's degree. The one without the degree is untested. They might be just as dedicated, but at some time, i will have a critical project in trouble, and i will need all hands on deck! That, is NOT the time to find out that the one i just hired wants to take 2 weeks off, because hunting (or fishing) season just started. My head is on the chopping block with my management to keep the customer(s) happy & get the work out. No excuses accepted!! That is why i hire the one with the degree.

I would suggest investigating your potential employer, to determine what business(es) they are in, where they are expanding, and what other things they are involved in. The intent, of course, is to play this information back to them during the interview, so that they know that you have investigated them to a degree. This usually impresses a potential employer (at least i've found that it did in my interviews - where i was looking for a job. You give no specifics as to what degree you have, or which firms you are soliciting, so it's a little hard to be more concrete. Best of luck.. Cheers.
(edited 6 years ago)

I think the problem is that you are applying for jobs that don't require a degree. These jobs will have lots of competition, and employers would rather pick someone with more experience. The risk of hiring someone with a degree, in their eyes, is that after they spend money and resources hiring and training you, the minute something more suited for you comes along, you will quit instantly.

Perhaps rethink the type of jobs you are applying for. What degree and class did you get?
Original post by Kenneye_j
LMAO, do you actually read what you've typed? As it's already been pointed out, you sound like a completely arrogant, stuck-up little private-school muppet who thinks that they are better than everyone else because they think they're "quite intellectual, self and academically educated, well-spoken with a strong vocabulary", with a "politician-like personality and overqualified".

Let me tell you right now, you are never going to get anywhere in life with that tragically flawed attitude. Anyone who isn't you and reads what you have put can clearly see why you haven't gotten a job, even one on the "low end of the spectrum". You are both undesirable on paper, and very likely in person as well. If I were an employer, I wouldn't even read your application. I'd throw it straight in the bin and give the job to someone who I actually thought was a decent person, and not just a stuck-up tool that you are. What's even more tragic however, is that you don't appear to understand why you haven't gotten a minimum wage job. You think that you are so "intelligent" and superior (apparently because of your personality, and the fact that you have a degree), that you are entitled to any job that is not above what you think you are entitled to. The fact that you asked on a thread - a thread full of teenagers nonetheless - proves this logic.

Honestly, if I haven't made it clear that you sound like a right poof, then I doubt anyone can. You've got no hope, and you are going to live life wondering why people don't/haven't liked you.

Lastly, before I ditch this pointless conversation, why would you try and get a minimum wage job (that you think is so easy to get, despite you not being able to get it), if you are intelligent and have a mind of a politician, and apparently think they deserve the top band of jobs that there are? Your logic is completely flawed, as is your personality and general attitude. You're going nowhere.

And thanks but I am never going to work in construction. I'm going to do something meaningful and respectable with my life, which is the polar opposite of anything that you may do. Also, I never said I "despise" kids, I asked why you asked such a question on a forum populated by kids/students. Learn to read before you make an allegation such as that. The real question is, why are you on here?

I won't be commenting any further as I am not going to waste time trying to talk sense into some stuck-up little ****.

Original post by madmadmax321
lol you clearly don't want a job that much. You're going to find yourself struggling to get any position with your attitude, hopefully you realise one day

Also, to note, I went to public school and grew up in a council house. So, I have now learned not to take your statements to be reputable as you know nothing about matters.

I like how you both began keyboard warrioring and accused me of all such ludicrous nonsense when I merely posted an honest thread asking simple questions and for reasonable feedback.

I also find it amusing how you claim I come across as unfriendly and such things when you could clearly learn how to respond to people in a friendly manner like the first few posters to this thread. You are absolute hypocrites.

Maybe its you that needs to learn some manners and how to interact with people? How many fights have you been in in your lifetime? I haven't been in one because I don't interact with people like you do. I know your "type" and I have encountered many numbskulls like you in my lifetime who end up revving mopeds down the street thinking their cool and don't want to be something someday.

I also love how you now start to type in a similar manner, as I. Just something I picked up.

And, why run away from the argument? I was getting to enjoy this.
Original post by Rabbit2
I have been a hiring manager, and i also have been asked to interview job applicants. Say that i have one job, and two applicants. The applicants are essentially equivalent, except that one of them has a degree, the other does not. The degree does NOT directly apply to the job to be done. Which one do i hire??? My answer is: "the one with the degree". WHY??? The reason is, i KNOW that the one with the degree had to work all night on occasion, over their birthday, Christmas, New Years, other holidays, in order to get the required work out to get their degree. I know this, because i had to do the exact same thing in order to get my degree. In fact, i had to do it TWICE, because i have a master's degree. The one without the degree is untested. They might be just as dedicated, but at some time, i will have a critical project in trouble, and i will need all hands on deck! That, is NOT the time to find out that the one i just hired wants to take 2 weeks off, because hunting (or fishing) season just started. My head is on the chopping block with my management to keep the customer(s) happy & get the work out. No excuses accepted!! That is why i hire the one with the degree.

I would suggest investigating your potential employer, to determine what business(es) they are in, where they are expanding, and what other things they are involved in. The intent, of course, is to play this information back to them during the interview, so that they know that you have investigated them to a degree. This usually impresses a potential employer (at least i've found that it did in my interviews - where i was looking for a job. You give no specifics as to what degree you have, or which firms you are soliciting, so it's a little hard to be more concrete. Best of luck.. Cheers.

Original post by cheesecakelove
I think the problem is that you are applying for jobs that don't require a degree. These jobs will have lots of competition, and employers would rather pick someone with more experience. The risk of hiring someone with a degree, in their eyes, is that after they spend money and resources hiring and training you, the minute something more suited for you comes along, you will quit instantly.

Perhaps rethink the type of jobs you are applying for. What degree and class did you get?

Yes, I am glad to see some mannerly responses again. Thank you.

I studied Audio Technology with a 2:1 but that also entailed a huge emphasis on IT, so most of the interviews I am getting are IT jobs as that is mostly the career I am aiming for. But most of the jobs I have applied for that I do not get many responses is the Admin vacancies and I have been told by many that it is likely my degree and research has even shown (you'd have to Google it) that having a more detailed CV without grammatical errors can distance the employers as they want people to turn up and shut up. I am just not that kind of person.
Also, to note, I went to public school and grew up in a council house. So, I have now learned not to take your statements to be reputable as you know nothing about matters.

I like how you both began keyboard warrioring and accused me of all such ludicrous nonsense when I merely posted an honest thread asking simple questions and for reasonable feedback.

I also find it amusing how you claim I come across as unfriendly and such things when you could clearly learn how to respond to people in a friendly manner like the first few posters to this thread. You are absolute hypocrites.

Maybe its you that needs to learn some manners and how to interact with people? How many fights have you been in in your lifetime? I haven't been in one because I don't interact with people like you do. I know your "type" and I have encountered many numbskulls like you in my lifetime who end up revving mopeds down the street thinking their cool and don't want to be something someday.

I also love how you now start to type in a similar manner, as I. Just something I picked up.

And, why run away from the argument? I was getting to enjoy this.

I wouldnt try to guess my 'type' as you are completely wrong, I also grew up in a council house with none of my family ever having high level jobs (with the exception of 1 family member). I am not rude in general but when someone comes across as you do then reacts badly to advice by saying its wrong and they wont change etc I will not be polite as chances are your existence will never actually matter to me and I was only trying to give out advice that you could use and take on board to allow you to potentially secure a job, which I assume was the whole reason you posted this thread.

My advice may be blunt but that is because you came across as you did, making yourself sound entitled to a job that you thought was below you, but my points are still valid and useful as while you are struggling to get any job, I have had a very good success in turning job/placement applications into offers (ranging from jobs at subway, topman and others to computer modelling and programming placements) (though I add that this isnt all down to me, universities services are very good at advising when it comes to the initial application stages of a placement)

And if by numbskull you mean a nerd with a love for science that has the drive and work ethic to put my all into achieving my goals in life then yes I am a numbskull

I probably wont reply to you again as you only seem to be want to be told what you want to hear and that is completely useless as its not currently working for you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes, I am glad to see some mannerly responses again. Thank you.

I studied Audio Technology with a 2:1 but that also entailed a huge emphasis on IT, so most of the interviews I am getting are IT jobs as that is mostly the career I am aiming for. But most of the jobs I have applied for that I do not get many responses is the Admin vacancies and I have been told by many that it is likely my degree and research has even shown (you'd have to Google it) that having a more detailed CV without grammatical errors can distance the employers as they want people to turn up and shut up. I am just not that kind of person.

I don't think admin jobs are suited for you? Keep applying for IT jobs as you are having more success, and you are looking for a career in this field.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending