The Student Room Group

Maths a level advice

Hello guys,
So i got a grade at a level which i wasn't happy with at all. I've done past papers and textbook q's. Are there any good ways to go over topics?
Reply 1
Past papers and questions are the only way - it's not like science where you have to learn definitions etc

You just do it
Reply 2
Original post by SGHD26716
Past papers and questions are the only way - it's not like science where you have to learn definitions etc

You just do it

My maths teacher said go over the basics all over again. Like ive done past papers and got higher than i did in the summer but still :s-smilie: should i make notes on each section???
Reply 3
Original post by MKaur18
My maths teacher said go over the basics all over again. Like ive done past papers and got higher than i did in the summer but still :s-smilie: should i make notes on each section???

If you're doing well in past papers there's no reason for you to be doing badly in the actual exam.

How different were the results in past paper tests to your actual exam?
Reply 4
Original post by SGHD26716
If you're doing well in past papers there's no reason for you to be doing badly in the actual exam.

How different were the results in past paper tests to your actual exam?

The actual exam they made it more problem solving and multi step stuff i hadn't come across in a different past paper. My maths teacher said go over c1&2 then redo past paper questions in spring
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MKaur18

Not really sure you need to make notes because maths is one place where you just practice to get better. Yes I would recommend going over the theory of how each topic works but that's about. it. Get different past papers and questions and just do them under strict conditions like you would in an exam. I know a lot of people who are quite smart and do great work but when it comes to exams they suffer because of nerves.
Maths notes are useless. Just keep doing questions. Aim to try and tackle new questions mostly, and dont move on untill you get it 100%. Because there may be only one question out of 50 that you did you dont get and u may move one and say o well, but that highlights gaps in your knowledge which will be costly. And please. PLEASE. check your work. nomatter how confident you are. You wouldn't beleive the amount of times i dropped a whole grade just because of after succecfully integrating a complex sum i would keep doing stuff like 3x3=6 and im talking further maths.
Original post by TheEngineer12345
Maths notes are useless. Just keep doing questions. Aim to try and tackle new questions mostly, and dont move on untill you get it 100%. Because there may be only one question out of 50 that you did you dont get and u may move one and say o well, but that highlights gaps in your knowledge which will be costly. And please. PLEASE. check your work. nomatter how confident you are. You wouldn't beleive the amount of times i dropped a whole grade just because of after succecfully integrating a complex sum i would keep doing stuff like 3x3=6 and im talking further maths.

How are maths notes useless? Surely you should actually understand a topic, before you begin to practice questions on it?
Original post by MKaur18
Hello guys,
So i got a grade at a level which i wasn't happy with at all. I've done past papers and textbook q's. Are there any good ways to go over topics?

Do every questions from the textbook and every past paper twice - guaranteed a*
Original post by _gcx
How are maths notes useless? Surely you should actually understand a topic, before you begin to practice questions on it?

Notes aren't for understanding a topic, their for jotting down key ideas and things u may forget. Useful in other areas. I mean if notes is what u find helpful then absolutely go for it. But for me i got an A in maths by doing things like reading watching videos practicing and asking for help and watching someone else do it etc. Ive seen other people take notes but they never look back on it.

In further maths expecially i dont see no note taking. U dont take notes to understand a topic thats not what notes are. Notes are for memorising, practicing is for understanding. In fact, all those who took notes exessively and constantly needed to refer back to notes in maths to do work, most do worse and always forget things and dont try to actually get it because they rely too much on that
Reply 10
Original post by TheEngineer12345
Notes aren't for understanding a topic, their for jotting down key ideas and things u may forget. Useful in other areas. I mean if notes is what u find helpful then absolutely go for it. But for me i got an A in maths by doing things like reading watching videos practicing and asking for help and watching someone else do it etc. Ive seen other people take notes but they never look back on it.

In further maths expecially i dont see no note taking. U dont take notes to understand a topic thats not what notes are. Notes are for memorising, practicing is for understanding. In fact, all those who took notes exessively and constantly needed to refer back to notes in maths to do work, most do worse and always forget things and dont try to actually get it because they rely too much on that

I understand what ur saying but I did past papers and didn't do very well. I want to at least move up one grade this year.
Reply 11
Original post by Rose12343546
Do every questions from the textbook and every past paper twice - guaranteed a*

The textbook ones r very basic compared to the exam q's but, i'll defo try that
Reply 12
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Not really sure you need to make notes because maths is one place where you just practice to get better. Yes I would recommend going over the theory of how each topic works but that's about. it. Get different past papers and questions and just do them under strict conditions like you would in an exam. I know a lot of people who are quite smart and do great work but when it comes to exams they suffer because of nerves.

I feel like i defo suffer when it comes to exams cos i panic as idk whatz going on. Ive done the past papers for my revision last year. So my maths teacher said dont go over them again unless uve gone over the basics all over again n know where u went wrong etc in each topicb:/
Original post by MKaur18
I feel like i defo suffer when it comes to exams cos i panic as idk whatz going on. Ive done the past papers for my revision last year. So my maths teacher said dont go over them again unless uve gone over the basics all over again n know where u went wrong etc in each topicb:/

There you go. Your teacher told you what to do then. Go over the basics. It's vital you understand the concepts so in the exam, you understand how you would do a question and why you would do it that way.
Reply 14
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
There you go. Your teacher told you what to do then. Go over the basics. It's vital you understand the concepts so in the exam, you understand how you would do a question and why you would do it that way.

true, i'll do that then

Quick Reply

Latest