The Student Room Group

Chance of being killed in terror attack almost 1 in a million

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desaf1
https://www.cato.org/blog/european-terrorism-fatalities-annual-chance-being-murdered

Look at the rates for the UK. This is even higher than the risk is now due to the IRA threat having largely de lined over the years. The chance of someone dying in a terror attack here in the U.K. is almost 1 in a million. It's almost certain that you won't be killed by a terrorist.

There are far more common threats to your life, like car accidents and other accidents, even plain murder, so why are so many resources going to prevent terror when they could be used more effectively by aiming to prevent more common causes of deaths? Surely our aim should be to save lives. If that were the case, why are we wasting countless resources on the war against ISIS and in arming highly advanced counter terror police when we could use the money to perhaps improve the NHS and increase capacity in hospitals, which could save many more lives.

That’s cool let’s just accept that 1 in a million then.

I suppose everyone’s ok if 70 people die in the next 12 months in this country from it 🙄
Original post by desaf1
https://www.cato.org/blog/european-terrorism-fatalities-annual-chance-being-murdered

Look at the rates for the UK. This is even higher than the risk is now due to the IRA threat having largely de lined over the years. The chance of someone dying in a terror attack here in the U.K. is almost 1 in a million. It's almost certain that you won't be killed by a terrorist.

There are far more common threats to your life, like car accidents and other accidents, even plain murder, so why are so many resources going to prevent terror when they could be used more effectively by aiming to prevent more common causes of deaths? Surely our aim should be to save lives. If that were the case, why are we wasting countless resources on the war against ISIS and in arming highly advanced counter terror police when we could use the money to perhaps improve the NHS and increase capacity in hospitals, which could save many more lives.

Not every person who is the victim of terrorist attack is murder or ever hurt there are thousands of people who are not injured who witness the attack who have psychological problems the rest of their life.

I sure you would not think it a wast of countless resources if a member of your family or yourself was unlucky another to be the victim of a terrorist attack.

The government is right to use there resources to stop terrorist attack. The train companies spend millions a year on train safety the odds of being killed is more than 1 in 4 million.
Reply 22
Original post by QE2
Hold on! An hour ago you were bemoaning that you weren't getting enough credit for opposing ISIS.
Now you are saying that we shouldn't bother fighting them?

You do sound awfully confused.

Just because I oppose ISIS doesn't mean that i have to support UK military action in foreign soil, which kills plenty of civilians, just to remove them. Best to stay out of Syria and Iraq.
Reply 23
Original post by paul514
That’s cool let’s just accept that 1 in a million then.

I suppose everyone’s ok if 70 people die in the next 12 months in this country from it 🙄

We accept that thousands die from heroin abuse, hundreds from car crashes etc... what I'm saying is that there are more effective ways of saving lives and we're focusing perhaps too much on one cause of death
Maybe the reason it is a million to one chance is because of what we are doing when it comes to security and stuff. If you take that away it will become worse.

e.g. If you worked in a place with high security/ security measures there would be only a miniscule chance of being robbed. Say you think removing the security is good because it is unnecessary because there are no robberies. This will result in more problems and robberies because you have removed one of the only things preventing them.
Original post by desaf1
Just because I oppose ISIS doesn't mean that i have to support UK military action in foreign soil, which kills plenty of civilians, just to remove them. Best to stay out of Syria and Iraq.

Opposing ISIS means doing something about it. Not sitting around while thousands are butchered and millions of refugees sit in camps.
Reply 26
Original post by DorianGrayism
Opposing ISIS means doing something about it. Not sitting around while thousands are butchered and millions of refugees sit in camps.

So we should kill thousands of civilians in airstrikes instead? That pretty much makes us the same as ISIS to them
Original post by desaf1
We accept that thousands die from heroin abuse, hundreds from car crashes etc... what I'm saying is that there are more effective ways of saving lives and we're focusing perhaps too much on one cause of death

Those are natural occurrences and people’s lifestyle choices.

It is not the same as an enemy within plotting to kill and injure us on purpose.
Original post by desaf1
So we should kill thousands of civilians in airstrikes instead? That pretty much makes us the same as ISIS to them

Anyone with common sense can see that killing civilians by accident in a war is not the same as beheading them or throwing them off a building.
Reply 29
Original post by DorianGrayism
Anyone with common sense can see that killing civilians by accident in a war is not the same as beheading them or throwing them off a building.

End result is the same
Original post by desaf1
End result is the same

So if you kill someone by accident then you should get the same charge as murderer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending