The Student Room Group

Oxford Biochemistry Applicants 2018

Thought I would start a thread for people applying for Oxford Biochemistry this year.

Introduction questions:
GCSE results?
AS results?
A2 predictions?
Colleges your interested in?
Other universities your looking at?

Scroll to see replies

I applied for deferred entry last year but got rejected so thought there's no harm in trying again (I always wanted to take a Gap year anyway)
GCSE: 8 A*s, 3 As and a B
A Levels: A*A*A (already achieved because I'm on a gap year) in Bio, Chem and Maths
Oriel college
Other Unis: Bristol
Also, I went through the whole application/interview process last year so I may be able to answer any questions people have 😊
Hi!! Im int in applying to oxford too!! Im from singapore by the way!Im taking my alevels in nov cant wait and hopefully i wont get rejected since my olevel(we dont have AS or A2) was As and Bs. I havent gotten my predicted grades yet. My teacher is still working on it😂
Original post by tomlist99
I applied for deferred entry last year but got rejected so thought there's no harm in trying again (I always wanted to take a Gap year anyway)
GCSE: 8 A*s, 3 As and a B
A Levels: A*A*A (already achieved because I'm on a gap year) in Bio, Chem and Maths
Oriel college
Other Unis: Bristol

Ah wow your stats are really good, you defiantly have a really good chance! Is there any books you have read for your personal statement?
Original post by sciencestudent19
Ah wow your stats are really good, you defiantly have a really good chance! Is there any books you have read for your personal statement?

yeah, the first time round all I'd read was an article aboùt immunobiology but this time I've read 2 books - one textbook style book about molecular biology of a disease and one more novel-like book about epigenetics (I'd rather not say exactly which books in case loads of people read the same ones). Are you reading any?
yeah, the first time round all I'd read was an article aboùt immunobiology but this time I've read 2 books - one textbook style book about molecular biology of a disease and one more novel-like book about epigenetics (I'd rather not say exactly which books in case loads of people read the same ones). Are you reading any?

I've read one about epigenetics and DNA/Genome and read a few magazine articles, currently trying to fit it all into my personal statement!
Also, I went through the whole application/interview process last year so I may be able to answer any questions people have 😊

Hi! Is it okay if i dont really have any lab or any biochem exp under my belt??
Original post by sciencestudent19
I've read one about epigenetics and DNA/Genome and read a few magazine articles, currently trying to fit it all into my personal statement!

Oh cool, it is soooo hard to fit everything into your personal statement without it sounding like a list!

Original post by varshawannabe
Hi! Is it okay if i dont really have any lab or any biochem exp under my belt??

It obviously helps to have some experience like that because you can reflect on it in your PS and at interview, but it really isn't essential - most labs won't take people on if they don't have a degree so it's ridiculously hard to get work experience relevant to Biochem, and unis recognise that. But if you haven't got any relevant work experience, you need to convince the tutors that you know loads about the subject and will enjoy the content, for example by elaborating on other experiences which made you want to study Biochem and by extra reading.
Oh cool, it is soooo hard to fit everything into your personal statement without it sounding like a list!

It obviously helps to have some experience like that because you can reflect on it in your PS and at interview, but it really isn't essential - most labs won't take people on if they don't have a degree so it's ridiculously hard to get work experience relevant to Biochem, and unis recognise that. But if you haven't got any relevant work experience, you need to convince the tutors that you know loads about the subject and will enjoy the content, for example by elaborating on other experiences which made you want to study Biochem and by extra reading.

I see!! Thank you!!
Out of interest, was anyone else here originally considering medicine?
I changed my mind after work experience
GCSE results? 6a*s 2as 2bs
AS results? AAA
A2 predictions? A*A*A
Colleges your interested in? Not sure yet lol
Other universities your looking at? Imperial ucl Bristol
I am applying from Germany where I can take only two Leistungskurse (A-Level equivalents) of which only one is a science.. Can I still apply?
Hi all, biochemistry grad if you have any questions. I can try and help out.

Original post by ellieswan12
I am applying from Germany where I can take only two Leistungskurse (A-Level equivalents) of which only one is a science.. Can I still apply?

I'm not familiar with the German system so cannot say. Have you looked up the entry requirements on the course page (Oxford site and departmental one)? If that isn't clear, it would be best to contact admissions.
Hi all!

I'm not a Biochemistry applicant but there's a page on Facebook for all Oxford applicants and there's a group of us who then made a messenger group chat to get to know each other if you wish to join here's a link:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/129353567699332?ref=bookmarks
IGCSE 6A*s, 1A
AS 3a(Biology/Physics/Chemistry) and A2 1A* (Mathematics)
A2 Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A (A for FM)
Applying for Oriel
Other Universities: UCL, Imperial, Bristol
GCSE results? 10A*S 2A's
AS results? AAAB in Maths, Chemistry, Spanish, English Literature
A2 predictions? On a gap year right now but already achieved A*A*A in English Literature, Maths and Chemistry with another A* in EPQ
Colleges your interested in? Exeter College
Other universities your looking at? St Andrews, Durham, Warwick and York
Original post by sophie_armstrong
GCSE results? 10A*S 2A's
AS results? AAAB in Maths, Chemistry, Spanish, English Literature
A2 predictions? On a gap year right now but already achieved A*A*A in English Literature, Maths and Chemistry with another A* in EPQ
Colleges your interested in? Exeter College
Other universities your looking at? St Andrews, Durham, Warwick and York

Great grades! What are you doing in your Gap year? I couldn't find any jobs relevant to Biochem so settled for a job at John Lewis... we'll see how that goes down in an interview...
Great grades! What are you doing in your Gap year? I couldn't find any jobs relevant to Biochem so settled for a job at John Lewis... we'll see how that goes down in an interview...

Hi! In my gap year I'm currently tutoring GCSE Maths kids and hopefully moving into a secondary school to tutor maths and chemistry. Also hopefully travelling to Thailand next summer :smile:
Original post by sophie_armstrong
Hi! In my gap year I'm currently tutoring GCSE Maths kids and hopefully moving into a secondary school to tutor maths and chemistry. Also hopefully travelling to Thailand next summer :smile:

Awesome, I'm travelling to Central America in April :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending