The Student Room Group

Can i study in a Canadian university with just GCSES?

I'm doing my gcses at the moment and want to know if i could study in canada with just my gcses?
Reply 1
no
Definately not
With just GCSE's????? No university, regardless of country, will consider you without A levels or equivalent (BTEC or IB)
Reply 4
Original post by Shiba_Inu
With just GCSE's????? No university, regardless of country, will consider you without A levels or equivalent (BTEC or IB)
So, enrolling in a british school in canada for A levels is my best choice?
Reply 5
Original post by maverick911

Either that, or complete your A-Levels (or equiv.) and then apply as an international student to a Canadian University.

If I were you, I'd stay in the UK to study A levels and consider going to university in Canada after that. However, be aware you cannot get a student loan for Canadian university, so you will need to pay fees upfront.
Reply 7
Original post by Epitype
Either that, or complete your A-Levels (or equiv.) and then apply as an international student to a Canadian University.

This may sound silly but could i apply as an international student for my A levels?
I'm doing my gcses at the moment and want to know if i could study in canada with just my gcses?

Just GCSEs no, with AS Levels, potentially, with A Levels, definitely.

But be aware that with the new AS/A Level structure not all sixth forms/colleges will be entering students for AS Level qualifications, so you would probably be best off complete A Levels.

Finding a school in Canada to do A Levels at would be pretty difficult. COBIS doesn't have any schools there, for example.
And as their system is so different, transferring into a Canadian High School to complete a High School Diploma could also be complicated.

It really all depends where you go, i.e. province and/ or university. If you were to go to Ontario, probably not. If you go to Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, then it's possible. You have a good chance in getting in a community college there. In most community colleges (especially in smaller provinces) offer courses to get your grades up. If you could email the universities there, they will give you a better understanding in what they are looking for. Trust me I have talked to some of the universities/ college there that would accept me - even with just my GCSEs. Although, if you could finish college/sixth form (until your 18) you have a better chance. Hope this helped! x

Quick Reply

Latest