The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Science

Do you have to be good at at least 2 science subjects in order to get into Cambridge Natural Science?
I am doing maths, further maths, physics and chem in A level. I get predicted straight A*s and I got 597/600 in AS maths exams. However, i am not interested in chem and I barely did any extra reading/working on it and as far as I know, that is what cam looking for?
(edited 6 years ago)
You need at least 2 science a-levels and most applicants will have 3 if not 4 science or maths a-levels.
Reply 2
Hey guys I am applying to Cambridge for natural science. I am only interested in physics but since Cambridge does not offer separate science subjects. Will it be a disadvantage compared to other applicants?
Original post by Rocky Zhu
Do you have to be good at at least 2 science subjects in order to get into Cambridge Natural Science?
It depends what a-levels you have.

Obviously yes, this is Cambridge we're talking about: 'Required by all Colleges: A Levels/IB Higher Levels in at least two science/mathematics ... Most students have at least three science/mathematics A Levels.'

https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/admissions

There's a statistic somewhere on the website that 98% of last year's successful applicants had 3 science/maths subjects so realistically you're not getting in without 3. What subjects are you doing? If you're only interested in physics then why not apply to Oxford which does a pure physics degree, actually called physics?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Glassapple
Obviously yes, this is Cambridge we're talking about: 'Required by all Colleges: A Levels/IB Higher Levels in at least two science/mathematics ... Most students have at least three science/mathematics A Levels.'

https://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/prospective-students/admissions

There's a statistic somewhere on the website that 98% of last year's successful applicants had 3 science/maths subjects so realistically you're not getting in without 3. What subjects are you doing? If you're only interested in physics then why not apply to Oxford which does a pure lhysics degree, actually called physics?

Thanks for replying xx. I am currently doing maths, further maths, chem and physics in A level. I chose natural science cuz there is a wide range of choices but I have barely done any extra reading/work on chem despite I got straight A*s for predicted grades. Would you consider me as a realistic candidate?
Hey guys I am applying to Cambridge for natural science. I am only interested in physics but since Cambridge does not offer separate science subjects. Will it be a disadvantage compared to other applicants?

It's very unusual for Physics NatSci applicants to not have Chemistry (or occasionally, Biology) in addition to Physics and Maths (as well as usually Further Maths).

For Mathematics with Physics, which allows you to transfer into second year NatSci Physics if you like, only Maths and Further Maths are absolutely required. I think most if not all colleges require Physics (specifically for the Mathematics with Physics route - that is, doing the first year NatSci Physics paper, along with 75% of the Maths papers a "single honours" Maths student would take).

If you don't fit either of those profiles you may want to consider taking a year out to pick up a second/third science or maths subject (ideally Further Maths and, for NatSci, Chemistry, as it's more relevant than Biology to the later content). Alternately you may want to consider other Physics courses such as at Imperial, Oxford, or Edinburgh.
You still have a decent chance if you are doing maths, further maths and physics although you'd have to have very impressive maths scores and you wouldn't be able to apply to some colleges without chemistry.
i do maths, further maths, chemistry and economics can i get into natsci at cambridge with good admission test scores?
Original post by maheepsingh
i do maths, further maths, chemistry and economics can i get into natsci at cambridge with good admission test scores?

Not impossible but probs a long shot, you'd have a better shot at Oxford chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending