The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amiintrouble
you mean i shouldn't post this? or that i did what I did??

Original post by bones-mccoy
Hope you're happy with a fake Masters degree that you didn't earn yourself

I hope she's not a med student because her patients will DIE since she clearly doesn't know ****
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
How did a cheating **** like you get onto a Cambridge PG course? They shouldn't just revoke your masters, they should revoke your bachelors and leave you homeless so that you have to stand on a street corner for five pounds a shag. You are a disgusting human being who achieved success via cheating.

MSc courses aren't nearly as competitive as BSc/MSci.

1. There's quite a lot more Mickey Mouse MScs than Undergrad degrees, mainly down to MScs are much more subject specific degrees.

2. Many able students would a) be doing a PhD or have gotten an MSci or b) already would've been employed with a high quality grad job. Someone I know went to UWE and did an MSc at Oxford.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
That is only if there is strong evidence to investigate this matter, at the time the OP handed her essays Cambridge considered them genuine, they can't just take someone's word for it that those essays were fake.

They don't take someone's word for it, they investigate their word and validate. Usually an oral examination is used.

It's just a bit of shame someone cheated their way for years to a good job. Tbh, I guess I'm glad it's not something safety critical like an engineering degree, where skills affect safety to people.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
They don't take someone's word for it, they investigate their word and validate. Usually an oral examination is used.

It's just a bit of shame someone cheated their way for years to a good job. Tbh, I guess I'm glad it's not something safety critical like an engineering degree, where skills affect safety to people.

True that, I wouldn't have been pleased to know if my local doctor cheated his way to a medical degree.
Original post by Salt Queen
I hope she's not a med student because her patients will DIE since she clearly doesn't know ****

Haha, don't worry; no doctor qualifying medical degrees are masters here, only bachelors.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Haha, don't worry; no doctor qualifying medical degrees are masters here, only bachelors.

You get my point lol
All this talk of jail is nonsense, it isn't illegal to cheat at university. If he actually provides any evidence rather than hearsay then they may revoke your degree, if it's revoked and your employer learns of this then expect to get the sack.
(edited 6 years ago)
Technically your degree can be revoked, but this is unlikely in practice. You'll probably be fine, but this thread could actually be used against you, if your ex knows about it. If I were you I d just get rid of this thread and forget it
OP, just delete the thread.
He probably won't do anything to be honest with you and if he does, does he have any actual evidence to back it up?

If he does have evidence then your going to be in a bit of trouble. They can revoke your degree if they see fit. And if you're current employer gets wind of it they can fire you. They might not, there have been cases of this were they haven't because after all even if you don't have a degree your not any worse at your job. Really there's a lot of factors at play that affect the outcome
Reply 70
If the SQA catch someone plagiarizing on ANY essay they will revoke all qualifications earned Cambridge will do the same also CHEATING for a masters that is fraud good luck
Original post by amiintrouble
I'm in a bit of a fix and trying to figure out if I'm in real trouble. I was in a relationship while studying for my masters at Cambridge University. My start wasn't going too good as I am an international student and was overwhelmed by the University's curriculum as English isn't my first language.

He helped me with the English assessment and did the online test for me. Once I got to University, he helped redraft my post for discussion boards and talked me through engaging in a discussion. He also wrote a few of my assignments, a few meaning three. For things he couldn't help with, he hired ghost writing services to complete my assignment. We did use the submissions but also changed a lot of context to make it relevant. We're broken up now and he once mentioned he will send the emails to the university.

My question is, will the university take him seriously since I've already graduated? Do universities entertain complaints of plagiarism for students that graduated 5 years ago?

I am working with a Fortune 500 company now, wondering if that can affect my employment. Will I lose my degree? Can Cambridge University revoke my degree? Do I need a lawyer? or just expect the worst an pray nothing happens?

I know I did something wrong and I have corrected a lot of my mistakes. This has me troubled and I'm wondering if its better to come forward or just keep wondering?

Any advice would be appreciated, for that want to tell me how wrong this is, I know it is but I've done it already. Just struggling with owning up or letting it go.

You shouldn't have posted this online. This is basically evidence.
Don't worry about it-delete this post right now, this can be used for evidence.
Im sure Cambridge has better things to do then revoke a graduate from 5 years ago degree.
Your boyfriend sounds like a vile person, of course, you understand your mistake which is good. We're not hear to judge you, prosecute you in anyway. So any of you guys calling her dumb, retard, fraud. Im sure she knows, but right now we're trying to help her.
An anonymous forum post isn't evidence though, there's no way for Cambridge to tie it to an individual.
Reply 74
The guy is snitching on himself so will be just as liable as you in any situation.
OP, for the sake of your mental health, delete this thread, forget about your ex-BF and try to persuade yourself you'd have got the degree anyway even if you hadn't cheated. It's only 3 essays after all, I assume the vast majority were done very well by you? Perhaps the 3 essays your ex did were of poorer quality than the ones you did yourself.
shouldve posted this anonymously....

Of course she's happy. She has all the advantages of having the degree without having had to work for it. The downside would normally be that she doesn't have the knowledge to back it up, but it could easily be the case that she's working in a field unrelated to her master's, or at least not directly using the material that was the subject of her master's in her particular role.

The idea that 'you're only cheating yourself' when you cheat is usually nonsense. Cheats often derive direct and substantial benefits from their behaviour. That's why it's so looked down upon (as it should be).

Original post by JohnGreek
Cambridge can put 2+2 together. If the anonymous individual who is the OP shares the same material circumstances (degree, bf reported the cheat, graduation year) as someone who's already being investigated by the uni authorities, then it's pretty clear that we're talking about the same person. Besides, gauging from the OP's responses, I'd say that it's obvious that this thread is written by a real person with real concerns.

Either way, this is great drama, and I look forward to reading more about this on national news.

Personally I think there's at least some chance this is an elaborate trolling effort. This thread was started suspiciously soon after the 'essay mills' discussion, and there is enough obvious sentiment against cheats in that thread to motivate a troll to rile everyone up with something like this.

Besides, if OP isn't a complete moron, she'll have changed minor details in her post. That's if her ex actually does make the report. If he doesn't, she hasn't identified what her master's was in, we can't be certain exactly when she took it, and we don't know her college. If this is a real account I have absolutely no sympathy and I hope OP is stripped of her degree one way or another, but I doubt whether all that much will come of this thread.
(edited 6 years ago)

Just like everyone that did an undergraduate degree at Cambridge then...
Nope, I was making a probably unclear joke about the MA Cantab.

Latest

Trending

Trending