The Student Room Group

Standing out

How to stand out when you already have volunteering and a job down? I know countless others who also do, what else could I do to make my UCAS statement stand out? Particularly for law?
Reply 1
I'm gonna try sitting in
I wish I didn't. It's not as fun as it somehow seems.
Original post by LauraS12
How to stand out when you already have volunteering and a job down? I know countless others who also do, what else could I do to make my UCAS statement stand out? Particularly for law?

Details.

Lots of people applying might have volunteered but only you can talk about the time you helped someone above and beyond what they expected of you and how that made you feel. Likewise lots of people have work experience but only you can talk about the specific experiences you had. What you did. Who you spoke to. What you enjoyed. What you found difficult.

Details are what makes your PS personal and gives the reader a clear understanding of who you are.
Also say what you learnt from your job/ volunteering. Unis care more about what you took away from it rather than how long you do it for. They'd rather take a student who did two weeks and learnt a lot then 2 months and learnt little to nothing, so you have to explain to them and describe to them what you learnt
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Details.

Lots of people applying might have volunteered but only you can talk about the time you helped someone above and beyond what they expected of you and how that made you feel. Likewise lots of people have work experience but only you can talk about the specific experiences you had. What you did. Who you spoke to. What you enjoyed. What you found difficult.

Details are what makes your PS personal and gives the reader a clear understanding of who you are.

Thank you so much! I'm currently planning for my gap year, I am volunteering at the moment on wednesday afternoons but for my gap year I want to go abroad to teach English in Bali but I don't know how to associate it with law

Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Student_222
Also say what you learnt from your job/ volunteering. Unis care more about what you took away from it rather than how long you do it for. They'd rather take a student who did two weeks and learnt a lot then 2 months and learnt little to nothing, so you have to explain to them and describe to them what you learnt

That's a good point, thank you!
Original post by LauraS12
Thank you so much! I'm currently planning for my gap year, I am volunteering at the moment on wednesday afternoons but for my gap year I want to go abroad to teach English in Bali but I don't know how to associate it with law

Thanks!

You don't have to. Just explain what you're going to do. Because you think it will be interesting/enjoyable/worthwhile is a good enough reason.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
You don't have to. Just explain what you're going to do. Because you think it will be interesting/enjoyable/worthwhile is a good enough reason.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending