The Student Room Group

Do you think that one parent should stay at home and raise the kids?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by calsmith12
From what I've noticed during high school.

Asians: One parent stays at home,the other makes the money.
Conclusion: Asian kids mostly had intact families with mum and dad both living together.

Whites: Both parents live independent lives, both working.
Conclusion: White kids mostly came from broken families with divorced parents.

I'm inclined to say the Asian family system works a lot better than the Feminist family system. Broken families are partly to blame for the housing shortage.

If the only White people ever see on a regular basis are overweight, day time drinking divorcees you're either dirt poor or extremely affluent.
yes

looking after your kids > any job you could possibly do

my logic is to have a conversation with my wife and see which one of us loves their job more. and from there, we can decide who is going to be at home. i think it'll be me, actually i hope it'll be me

we will never have a nanny, what a sick invention, ugh
I have news: "Stay At Home" mothers (or fathers) don't stay at home.... unless they are suffering from depression or are in an abusive relationship or in other serious difficulties.

I have other news: some people study subjects at university which are highly relevant to parenting.

Vanessa Olorenshaw's Liberating Motherhood is a good read on this subject.
Original post by Nerry
because its cheaper than paying someone else to sit on their ass and look after your kids for 7/8 hours a day, dumb a ss

If you're too STUPID to even read a simple paragraph, you are definitely NOT in a position to be calling anyone a "dumb a**" (well except yourself).
Incase it's still too much of a struggle to understand, I was talking about the 7/8 hours the mother would spend at home doing literally nothing while the children are at school, once they are school aged obviously.
Original post by Tiger Rag
How is looking after a child sitting on your ass for 7/8 hours a day?

You obviously misread my comment, I was talking about the 7/8 hours the mother would spend doing literally nothing while the children were at school.
Original post by December126
You obviously misread my comment, I was talking about the 7/8 hours the mother would spend doing literally nothing while the children were at school.

Well, it would really help if you mentioned the age of the children, wouldn't it?
Well, it would really help if you mentioned the age of the children, wouldn't it?

Well, it would really help if you read my first comment before replying to me, wouldn't it?
Original post by December126
Well, it would really help if you read my first comment before replying to me, wouldn't it?

Which was what?
No, that's stupid. we're not in the Stone Age anymore.
both should lol
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
No, that's stupid. we're not in the Stone Age anymore.

What has this to do with Stone Age, if both parents are parenting the kid? as far as I know women only takes care for kids in this period of time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
What has this to do with Stone Age, if both parents are parenting the kid? as far as I know women only takescare for kids in this period of time.

It means we try not to express archaic views any more.
It means we try not to express archaic views any more.

It is not archaic, if both parents are parenting. As far as I understood the thread starter asked, if it is okay that both parents care for kids in a time where both are working.
Original post by Anonymous
What do you think?

That it is impossible to have such thing as guidelines for the myriad of circumstances in people's lives, all cases are different. Some people are not suited to life at home with the kids 24/7 and some children would be better off not being stuck at home with them. Household income has an impact on overall living standards, lots of variables. Kids may spend their day with their grandparents if they live nearby, nothing necessarily wrong with that.

I went part-time with mine, enough to survive on. In an ideal world, nobody could argue against a parent willing to be at home in the early years to... well, be a parent, really. It is interesting how the collective perception is that of a stay-at-home parent, as if going out to work were a more natural thing to do.
No, I think there are provisions in place (like work-place créches) which makes it easier for parents to have contact with the child, and still work. I read an interesting piece on this subject in the GAMSAT exam recently. :O

Conclusion: Asian kids mostly had intact families with mum and dad both living together.

I'm inclined to say the Asian family system works a lot better than the Feminist family system. Broken families are partly to blame for the housing shortage.

Your experience is in no way demonstrative of society as a whole though, even if you could definitely show that the divorce and broken family came from both working, rather than the other way round - Children of any race don't mostly come from broken homes.

Not what I've noticed. I have friends who are white, have children, work and are happily married.
Original post by Kallisto
It is not archaic, if both parents are parenting. As far as I understood the thread starter asked, if it is okay that both parents care for kids in a time where both are working.

It is. But feel free to insult me for my views, and get away with it without any repercussions, being part of the CA and all. :h:
It is. But feel free to insult me for my views, and get away with it without any repercussions, being part of the CA and all. :h:

Disagreeing with you is not insulting you.
Not what I've noticed. I have friends who are white, have children, work and are happily married.

Don't be so patronising, the statistics back up my statement whereas your statement is baseless with no concrete evidence to back it up.

Cohabiting couple families increased by 29.7% between 2004 and 2014, indigently at the same time where female parents started to become more 'independent"

Quick Reply

Latest