The Student Room Group

Russell group law course or one that's high in the rankings?

For law employment, is it better to have gone to a russell group university or one that's high in the law rankings?
Hi Brahiti,

Whilst the Russell Group have many of the highest-ranking universities, there are many high quality universities that are not in the Russell Group, and therefore I'd advice you don't limit yourself just to this particular selection. For example, Aberdeen is considered by the Complete University Guide as the 10th best university for law in the country, but is not Russell Group.

Speaking very generally, Russell Group tends to focus on research-heavy universities, whilst rankings take into consideration the quality of teaching, student satisfaction amongst many other factors.

We have an article that might interest you where you can compare the different universities that offer law - it's our Uni by Uni page.

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal
Original post by Brahiti
For law employment, is it better to have gone to a russell group university or one that's high in the law rankings?

Which ranking and which unis?
Original post by GovernmentEarner
The Russell group is just to do with funding Research. Top Unis such as St Andrews, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster etc aren't Russell group. The Russel Group is seen as employers as a flag for quality students but doesn't mean if you don't go to one you will be penalised e.g. Aberdeen and Newcastle are both Non-RG and good for law.

newcastle is a RG uni
The Russell group is just to do with funding Research. Top Unis such as St Andrews, Bath, Surrey, Lancaster etc aren't Russell group. The Russel Group is seen as employers as a flag for quality students but doesn't mean if you don't go to one you will be penalised e.g. Aberdeen and Newcastle are both Non-RG and good for law.

or did you mean northumbria uni what is in newcastle
I meant Dundee, not sure why the hell I put Newcastle, haha

ahahahhaha both are really good unis :smile:
Original post by Brahiti

northumbria isnt a RGU but still very good for law :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by The Lawyer Portal
Hi Brahiti,

Whilst the Russell Group have many of the highest-ranking universities, there are many high quality universities that are not in the Russell Group, and therefore I'd advice you don't limit yourself just to this particular selection. For example, Aberdeen is considered by the Complete University Guide as the 10th best university for law in the country, but is not Russell Group.

Speaking very generally, Russell Group tends to focus on research-heavy universities, whilst rankings take into consideration the quality of teaching, student satisfaction amongst many other factors.

We have an article that might interest you where you can compare the different universities that offer law - it's our Uni by Uni page.

Hope this helps!

The Lawyer Portal

What's "this particular selection"?
Reply 8
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Which ranking and which unis?

The rankings are all pretty similar. I'm just asking generally.
Original post by Brahiti
The rankings are all pretty similar. I'm just asking generally.

The subject rankings are not similar. Guardian and CUG differ to the most extreme degree.

To answer your theoretical question, neither is determinative. There are "average" courses which are ranked highly and there are "average" courses which are provided by Russell Group unis.
Reply 10
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
The subject rankings are not similar. Guardian and CUG differ to the most extreme degree.

To answer your theoretical question, neither is determinative. There are "average" courses which are ranked highly and there are "average" courses which are provided by Russell Group unis.

So what should I use to get a better imagine of which ones will be more employable?
Original post by Brahiti
So what should I use to get a better imagine of which ones will be more employable?

You can look at which unis the top law firms deign to visit. You can look at Chambers preferred uni list. You can stalk the LinkedIn of recent graduates from the unis you're interested in, and see what they're up to now. All these things give you a better picture of the situation, but none are categorical proof. They all have flaws.

If you want to be employable, make yourself employable. Do things with your time at uni. You cannot rely on your uni name; and it really isn't that important, as long you go to a decent uni.
Original post by Brahiti
What's "this particular selection"?

As in, the selection of Russell Group universities :smile:
As a rule Russell Group unis are very good, but it's not just limited to those, since they're a self-selected group. It might be a good idea to check for your subject on the league tables and to look elsewhere for graduate prospect statistics, but a lot of it depends on you and not just the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending