The Student Room Group

Funding

Hi guys!

I'm currently receiving Student Finance from the SLC for my 3 year undergrad course. I've been thinking about what to do when I graduate, and was wondering if the Government/SLC will fund a 2 year Master's AND a PGCE?

I think I read that they would, but I can't seem to make sense of the wording!
Original post by Teaspoon123
Hi guys!

I'm currently receiving Student Finance from the SLC for my 3 year undergrad course. I've been thinking about what to do when I graduate, and was wondering if the Government/SLC will fund a 2 year Master's AND a PGCE?

I think I read that they would, but I can't seem to make sense of the wording!

The short answer is usually yes. The long answer is:
Masters: You get one loan of up to £10,000 for a first masters degree for a year or £5,000 per year if its a 2 year course. The £10,000 is paid directly to you, so its up to you how to spend it. Of course £10,000 might not cover all costs, particularly on a more expensive course or in a more expensive location- you wouldn't for example get extra to compensate for needing to pay for living costs for 2 years rather than one.

PGCE: you get student finance in the same way as for undergraduate studies, the only difference being that you may be able to get a bursary depending on your degree classification and subject you are training to teach.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
The short answer is usually yes. The long answer is:
Masters: You get one loan of up to £10,000 for a first masters degree for a year or £5,000 per year if its a 2 year course. The £10,000 is paid directly to you, so its up to you how to spend it. Of course £10,000 might not cover all costs, particularly on a more expensive course or in a more expensive location- you wouldn't for example get extra to compensate for needing to pay for living costs for 2 years rather than one.

PGCE: you get student finance in the same way as for undergraduate studies, the only difference being that you may be able to get a bursary depending on your degree classification and subject you are training to teach.

Yess! Thanks a lot! Do you apply for both of those through the SLC?
Original post by Teaspoon123
Yess! Thanks a lot! Do you apply for both of those through the SLC?

Yes. Btw at the moment I believe postgraduate funding is only available for students resident in England.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending