The Student Room Group

is applying to Oxford for Geography worth it?

Hi everyone,

As the deadline for oxbridge approaches I have become worried that maybe Oxford is not right for me... It is the best ranked Geography course but I liked the modules of Durham way better. Also I am worried I will not enjoy studying in Oxford as much because I'm pretty laid-back but enjoy getting good grades and stuff, which is going to be very stressful.

I want a liberal and diverse place as well and to avoid a male dominated, western centric focus. I am not sure Oxford is right for this, but could be completely wrong. As an international student mainly looking to study in the UK to get a world-wide perspective this is very important to me.

So I am worried that the extra work (the exams and interviews) of applying to Oxford are not going to be worth it, and might like a bit more time to make sure my application is perfect. I am applying to Durham and Edinburgh as well, but considering others too (suggestions appreciated).

What do you think?
Thanks for the help xxx
Original post by goma
Hi everyone,

As the deadline for oxbridge approaches I have become worried that maybe Oxford is not right for me... It is the best ranked Geography course but I liked the modules of Durham way better. Also I am worried I will not enjoy studying in Oxford as much because I'm pretty laid-back but enjoy getting good grades and stuff, which is going to be very stressful.

I want a liberal and diverse place as well and to avoid a male dominated, western centric focus. I am not sure Oxford is right for this, but could be completely wrong. As an international student mainly looking to study in the UK to get a world-wide perspective this is very important to me.

So I am worried that the extra work (the exams and interviews) of applying to Oxford are not going to be worth it, and might like a bit more time to make sure my application is perfect. I am applying to Durham and Edinburgh as well, but considering others too (suggestions appreciated).

What do you think?
Thanks for the help xxx

If you know for certain you wouldn't go if Durham offered, then maybe don't bother - of course, there's every chance that Durham might not say yes either. Genuinely I'd say just apply and put the work in so you have a really good backup plan in case Durham doesn't work out.

Also, knowing it won't be your first choice if possible will really help with nerves. A lot of people apparently croak because it's their absolute dream place, but if it isn't for you, you'll probably do better as a result.
Honestly just go for it! If you "don't care" then don't go out of your way to get in because Oxbridge is more often than not, not the be-all and end-all.

You might be dead brainy and ace the entrance exam, get called to interview and just shine. A lot of people in Oxford were not necessarily Oxbridge-alohics but got in after the admissions tutor realised they were good.

If it doesn't happen, you've wasted at most a few hours and you'll be happy at another Uni, but do give it a try.
Reply 3
Original post by CastCuraga
If you know for certain you wouldn't go if Durham offered, then maybe don't bother - of course, there's every chance that Durham might not say yes either. Genuinely I'd say just apply and put the work in so you have a really good backup plan in case Durham doesn't work out.

Also, knowing it won't be your first choice if possible will really help with nerves. A lot of people apparently croak because it's their absolute dream place, but if it isn't for you, you'll probably do better as a result.

I am honestly terrified of not getting into Durham so I've been obsessing over my application. If I do apply for Oxford then I have to send it in 3 days, which is stressing me out...

But thanks a lot! I am much less worried about applying to Oxford now :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Honestly just go for it! If you "don't care" then don't go out of your way to get in because Oxbridge is more often than not, not the be-all and end-all.

You might be dead brainy and ace the entrance exam, get called to interview and just shine. A lot of people in Oxford were not necessarily Oxbridge-alohics but got in after the admissions tutor realised they were good.

If it doesn't happen, you've wasted at most a few hours and you'll be happy at another Uni, but do give it a try.

This is a great point, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending