The Student Room Group

I got C's in triple science GCSE but want to do medicine at university

I sat my GCSEs this year and I got C's in triple science, A* in English Language,B in English Literature, B in geography, B in French, B in Drama, A in Spanish, B in art, C in maths, Merit in BTEC ICT. This year I am doing biology, chemistry, Spanish and Geography. I truly do believe that I can get A's in my a levels this year, I just ****ed up in GCSEs. If I do well in the admission tests, have a good personal statement with an amazing list of extra- curriculars and interview, is there any way I can do medicine with the GCSEs I have? I really want to go into psychiatry, it's been my dream. Please send help or advice or love!!!!!
You could try applying for foundation years in Medicine or gateway to medicine programmes. Do check to see if you're eligible for any Realising opportunity schemes because they'll help alot. But there also things like applying for contextual data which will allow Uni's to be a bit more lenient with you on your A level grades(not so sure about GCSEs)
Or what you could do instead is look for Uni's that put alot of emphasis on admissions tests and personal statement like Bristol. Hope this helped!
Reply 3
"it's been my dream" well you shouldn't have screwed up your science GCSE's. Just apply to places who don't look at GCSE's
Reply 4
Original post by cicenaiteddd
I sat my GCSEs this year and I got C's in triple science, A* in English Language,B in English Literature, B in geography, B in French, B in Drama, A in Spanish, B in art, C in maths, Merit in BTEC ICT. This year I am doing biology, chemistry, Spanish and Geography. I truly do believe that I can get A's in my a levels this year, I just ****ed up in GCSEs. If I do well in the admission tests, have a good personal statement with an amazing list of extra- curriculars and interview, is there any way I can do medicine with the GCSEs I have? I really want to go into psychiatry, it's been my dream. Please send help or advice or love!!!!!

if you get a good UKCAT/BMAT score and high A-Level predictions you stand a chance- but don't apply to GCSE heavy unis like Oxbridge, Birmingham, etc. Also, A-Level science is a huge step up from GCSE level, that's why my school only lets you do the science a levels if you got an A or above. But if you are certain this is what you want to do, go for it!
Reply 5
No chance. I am being realistic know a lot of people in the same position as you. But they are now retaking lower sixth because their AS's were crap.
But me saying this if you truly believe that you are capable go for it. Worst case scenario is you retake L6,
Any reason in particular why you ****ed up? Because with those results and the C in Maths I would suggest taking up another career path. It's better to be realistic than give false hope at this early stage.
Original post by Appio001
Or what you could do instead is look for Uni's that put alot of emphasis on admissions tests and personal statement like Bristol. Hope this helped!

Thank you!! Really did help
Reply 8

Most universities will be interested in your recent performances a lot more than your performance 2 years ago when you sat your GCSE's. Personally, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If you're convinced it's that important then you can always resit your science GCSE, you're clearly intelligent enough so you should find it pretty easy to do the resits.
Original post by Undec
No chance. I am being realistic know a lot of people in the same position as you. But they are now retaking lower sixth because their AS's were crap.
But me saying this if you truly believe that you are capable go for it. Worst case scenario is you retake L6,

I have really been focussing and working my butt off so far even if it has only been one month into A Levels, there is no chance I am going to mess up again. All of the teachers I have seen potential in me. The problem with GCSEs for me, was that I learnt all of the content but I did minimum work with past papers so when it actually came to the exams, I ****ed up
Mmm, I wouldn't advise you to retake any of your GCSEs simply because it's looked down on in terms of Medicine applicants adn limits your choices for Uni becasue very few Uni's allow you to reatke for Medicine unless you had serious mitigating circumstances
I have really been focussing and working my butt off so far even if it has only been one month into A Levels, there is no chance I am going to mess up again. All of the teachers I have seen potential in me. The problem with GCSEs for me, was that I learnt all of the content but I did minimum work with past papers so when it actually came to the exams, I ****ed up
Original post by Appio001
Mmm, I wouldn't advise you to retake any of your GCSEs simply because it's looked down on in terms of Medicine applicants adn limits your choices for Uni becasue very few Uni's allow you to reatke for Medicine unless you had serious mitigating circumstances

I'm not going to retake anything apart from maths because most universities want a minimum of a B grade at Maths GCSE so I definitely feel like I need to retake that
Oo okay but do keep in mind that this may limit your option choices when applying for Med
I'm not going to retake anything apart from maths because most universities want a minimum of a B grade at Maths GCSE so I definitely feel like I need to retake that

I did no past papers really for my GCSE sciences and ended up with an A* in bio and chem and an A in physics. Overall I got 4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C and want to study veterinary medicine. I know most medical schools want a B at least in the sciences so I would maybe suggest a different career or different approach like a foundation course for medicine. If you got a C in GCSE science I know that most sixth forms would not accept you for the course as most people who only get a C don't do well at AS level and even people who get A*s at GCSE fail their AS exams.
Original post by OrangeArcher
I did no past papers really for my GCSE sciences and ended up with an A* in bio and chem and an A in physics. Overall I got 4A*s, 6As, 1B and 1C and want to study veterinary medicine. I know most medical schools want a B at least in the sciences so I would maybe suggest a different career or different approach like a foundation course for medicine. If you got a C in GCSE science I know that most sixth forms would not accept you for the course as most people who only get a C don't do well at AS level and even people who get A*s at GCSE fail their AS exams.

My sixth form accepted me to do A Level bio and chem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending