The Student Room Group

Do you play a sport for a team / club?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tarataika
I moved houses and my old club is too far away (in a different part of my county) but I'm going to try getting back to badminton at a different club soon because I love it. :charm:

It sucks you moved too far away, but I hope you do get back into it!
Original post by Sabertooth
I used to play ice hockey but would miss a lot of training sessions because of my mental health so was never great at it. Moved to the south and there isn't a rink for hundreds of miles. :frown:

My wife did her PhD at a university with a good wheelchair basketball program, I enjoyed watching.

Aw man, ice hockey is a love of mine (Edinburgh Capitals supporter); never played it myself but always fancied a go - just recently watched sled hockey which looked craaaaazy!

What was the university, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by 04MR17
I do swimming lots (or will be soon.... haven't properly in years).

Tennis is something else I enjoy.

That's awesome. :biggrin:
Original post by bloodredbeat
That's awesome. :biggrin:
This is a great thread by the way.:h:
Original post by 04MR17
This is a great thread by the way.:h:

Thanks! I'm hoping more people will join, really.
Aw man, ice hockey is a love of mine (Edinburgh Capitals supporter); never played it myself but always fancied a go - just recently watched sled hockey which looked craaaaazy!

What was the university, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a Florida Panthers fan. :smile: I have seen a couple of games in the uk (I live in the usa) and the nhl is just a lot faster and more technical so I prefer it :tongue: but it's fun to watch, and play!, no matter what skill level. Sled hockey does look crazy :biggrin: a couple of players from the US National team were doing demonstrations and letting people try it out at the rink I used to play at, I really wanted to give it a go. Sadly it was one of *those* days so I couldn't, really missed out. :frown:

It was an American university. There were summer programs for kids and teenagers from all over the country. And the uni team would often win tournaments. It was really incredible to watch the skill involved.
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm a Florida Panthers fan. :smile: I have seen a couple of games in the uk (I live in the usa) and the nhl is just a lot faster and more technical so I prefer it :tongue: but it's fun to watch, and play!, no matter what skill level. Sled hockey does look crazy :biggrin: a couple of players from the US National team were doing demonstrations and letting people try it out at the rink I used to play at, I really wanted to give it a go. Sadly it was one of *those* days so I couldn't, really missed out. :frown:

So cool! The NHL is definitely a level about what we see here in the UK. I suppose that's probably down to funding which enables them to grow the talent. And it's huge in the US. I guess each country has their own 'big sport' - we have football and cricket mainly, American's have their NHL, NFL and NBA. Does any of that make sense? Hahahaha.
I have RA (amongst other things).

Well if you find yourself with some time, you should give it a go; not all sports mean excerting yourself and it might be good for you both physically and mentally (I hope that doesn't sound any other way than how I mean it, which is in a nice way).

I'm really looking forward to watching some wheelchair sports at my uni. Do you have some examples of lower exertion sports? :colondollar: I have a number of health conditions and limited mobility, and can't exert myself too much anyway because of CFS/ME so have to be kinda careful. I miss being fit though!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I'm really looking forward to watching some wheelchair sports at my uni. Do you have some examples of lower exertion sports? :colondollar: I have a number of health conditions and limited mobility, and can't exert myself too much anyway because of CFS/ME so have to be kinda careful. I miss being fit though!

There are honestly so many! And of course, some of these may require heightened exertion depending on the level you're playing / competing at, but as a hobby, you can take it nice and gently. A few examples that I can think of are:

Swimming
Yoga
Bowls
Archery
Hand Cycling
Shooting
Boccia
Water Polo
Golf
Static Cycling
Walking
Table Tennis

Of course, there will be a lot of sports not mentioned that you'd be able to tailor specifically to your needs.

Quick Reply

Latest