The Student Room Group
Yes because unis will just be like "if you have the desire you study maths at uni why didn't you have the desire to do further maths?"
Plus most people would have done FM and you'll be very behind with some topics
Original post by Hazza Elli
I want to study Maths at Bristol but I'm not doing further maths at A-level and feel like I would be at a huge disadvantage
I do maths a level and am on for an A/A* and can get the grades to get into the course
Is it a really bad idea to do a maths degree without a further maths a level
Thanks

If the course doesn't require F Maths then it should be OK. I always recommend students in this positiion undertake to do some work over the summer so they know some key areas of FM like complex numbers.
Reply 3
Original post by doggypounding 69
Yes because unis will just be like "if you have the desire you study maths at uni why didn't you have the desire to do further maths?"
Plus most people would have done FM and you'll be very behind with some topics

I know but I'm not worried about getting into the uni because I'm already guaranteed a place as long as I get the grades
Would it be worth doing a foundation year??
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
If the course doesn't require F Maths then it should be OK. I always recommend students in this positiion undertake to do some work over the summer so they know some key areas of FM like complex numbers.

What would you say are the most important areas to look at?
maybe if you go to a lower ranked uni that has lower entry requirements for maths. for instance I am going to apply to do maths at royal holloway because i believe it will be easier and less stressful. (i don't do further maths either)
I know but I'm not worried about getting into the uni because I'm already guaranteed a place as long as I get the grades

Id say yes because you'll get practice with the further maths topics you haven't done at a level.
The reason why I'm saying this is because I was looking to do maths at uni also but without FM your being thrown into the deep end and you ain't really gonna recover. It's too much for you to handle in my opinion
What would you say are the most important areas to look at?

Find how many arrive with F Maths - ask the uni. Ask their advice re preparation and look at the first year modules.

Which applied modules will you have done?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
A lot will depend on your maths abilities. If you didn't do further maths because you thought it too hard then you will struggle at uni. Further maths will prepare you better for the first few months of uni, otherwise you are playing catch-up on those students who have done further maths. I would guess that most of those going to Bristol have further maths.
You can apply because it isn't always on the application requirements, but I doubt anyone would get on to do a maths degree without further maths. the content covered in further maths is often essential for a maths degree course, and if you did get in you'd fall behind whilst trying to catch up.
Reply 10
I want to study Maths at Bristol but I'm not doing further maths at A-level and feel like I would be at a huge disadvantage
I do maths a level and am on for an A/A* and can get the grades to get into the course
Thanks

It's not a bad idea. The only advantage I've seen of doing FM is you would have done a few of the basic things you'll cover during a week or two of learning introductory things (or when introduced to specific modules such as Mechanics), plus you get an offer with a grade lower. Another example is that you just get a tad bit more practice. Other than that, it all comes down to your mathematical abilities.

I've met a lot of people who are doing Maths without having done FM at uni that require AAA+, who definitely do not struggle more than those who did FM. You can catch up easily to those who have done FM by studying. It won't make you fall behind your course, just your peers by a small amount.
tbh fam i am in ur position and i decided to do the full FM alevel in one year!!

JOIN ME
Thanks

One of my lecturers says after a while there is no correlation between those who have done further maths or not and progression in the degree, so it would be a good idea if you enjoy maths and want to continue studying it and if Bristol doesn't require FM.

Don’t take my word for it but I believe lots of schools don’t even offer further maths. I don’t think it’s going to be the end of the world if you haven’t done it.
Thanks

One of the things you can do is look at the STEP support programme from the University of Cambridge. STEP I (and STEP II) are based on A-level maths, but are much more like university maths in style. This will give you practice at applying the knowledge you know in harder questions, and might be a better preparation than trying to learn a load of new stuff?

The Foundation modules are the ones that prepare you for STEP I, and they start off by only assuming GCSE knowledge (which is not to say that they are easy!).
Reply 15

which uni are you guaranteed a place to study a Maths degree without having completed further maths?
It depends. Further maths is a rigorous and challenging preparation for a maths degree with more supervision than university. If you feel you could do a maths degree with more independence you probably don't need further maths. If you think that you need more guidance to prepare you for a maths degree then do further maths. If you are interested in the syllabus at further maths then do it. If you are going to be a teacher after you graduate, you don't know what syllabus you will be teaching then do it. If your style of learning mathematics is more suited to bigger class sizes then don't bother, a level further maths will just be a piece of paper to get you to the next stage.
I am doing a maths degree, got a 2:1 in my first year, with only a c in a level maths and no further maths, it didn’t disadvantage me because they explained everything down to the basics.
In fact the open university maths syllabus is not terribly different from the a level maths syllabus.
Pros of A level maths:
A level maths offers more guidance with the advanced concepts in mathematics and has a higher pass grade and chance of success.
Cons of A level maths:
The A level textbooks are limiting and not open to new ideas as most teachers teach more or less the same.
Pros of brick university:
Brick university do not have the pressure of teacher shortages in mathematics and have a much wider choice of mathematics courses than any of the others.
Con:
The pressure of exams at a brick university is stressful and time consuming and you only really get one chance to get your degree unless you have had terrible luck through no fault of your own.
Pros of Open university:
Can be studied in your own time and is more flexible than any other options for a maths degree.
Presents an alternative viewpoint to A level standard mathematics.
Groups online maths students together
Con:
Won't be respected as much by professional mathematicians as a brick university.
Online tutorial rooms will cause overload.
Pros of Khan Academy or IXL Maths and English practice MOOC:
You can log in and solve maths problems anywhere anytime.
Con:
This option should be used in moderation compared to the other options. It is not intended to replace your maths tutor or teacher.
I think Nottingham said you don't need FM when I was there with my son for an open day last year as they will spend the first few weeks going over it, but please get that confirmed, I could be mistaken.

Latest