The Student Room Group

3 or 4 a-levels?

Is taking 4 A-levels too much? You can do it at the 6th form I want to apply for and my teachers say I'm 'capable' of doing so, but I'm already quite stressed for my GCSEs, would this be even worse?
Original post by lewisheard8
Is taking 4 A-levels too much? You can do it at the 6th form I want to apply for and my teachers say I'm 'capable' of doing so, but I'm already quite stressed for my GCSEs, would this be even worse?

It does depend on subject or some extent you could always start with four give it a couple of weeks and drop one of its too much or drop at AS if you’re allowed. I personally find 4 glorious this year, but I did 5 in year 12 so having double the number of frees is amazing.
Reply 2
Original post by Snoozinghamster
It does depend on subject or some extent you could always start with four give it a couple of weeks and drop one of its too much or drop at AS if you’re allowed. I personally find 4 glorious this year, but I did 5 in year 12 so having double the number of frees is amazing.

Brilliant thanks for your help, what did you take out of interest?
Brilliant thanks for your help, what did you take out of interest?

Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and I’ve recently dropped tech.
Reply 4
I'm in Y13 still doing my four A-Levels, also having completed an EPQ in Y12. Honestly, it really isn't necessary to take four as universities often just ask for three. It does depend on your subjects though as well and whether they have an element of coursework within them. Since doing four linear A Levels, the amount of coursework this year has certainly weighed heavily on my shoulder these past few weeks. I know plenty of people who originally took 4 A Levels in Y12 and dropped one after a few weeks and took up an EPQ instead. I would recommend 3 A Levels and an EPQ though (if your school does it) as the EPQ often drops a few grades off of some university offers if you get a certain grade :smile:
The best thing for you to do would be to start off doing 4 and if you enjoy them and feel comfortable then carry on, but if you feel stressed or dislike a subject you can easily drop it. (Although I do 3 I have to say it's a lot less stressful)
Reply 6
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and I’ve recently dropped tech.

Okay , apparently maths is really hard, everyone that I know that has taken it has dropped it, lol, I'm thinking: economics, law, spanish and history/IT
Please remember that most new A Level courses no longer examine for an AS qualification! You can do Y12 with 4 then drop to 3 if you wish, but where I am the AS exam has been scrapped entirely.
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
Please remember that most new A Level courses no longer examine for an AS qualification! You can do Y12 with 4 then drop to 3 if you wish, but where I am the AS exam has been scrapped entirely.

Yeh that is something to be aware of, some schools still let you take the as if you’re planning on dropping. But check before committing to that as a plan.
Okay , apparently maths is really hard, everyone that I know that has taken it has dropped it, lol, I'm thinking: economics, law, spanish and history/IT

I’m one of those people who love maths so find it pretty nice. For me it’s my easiest subject. You do need to like it though.
if you got like 9a*'s at GCSE you should consider 4 a level

Start at 4 then cut down to 3 if you feel you can't handle it. There's no shame in dropping.
honestly, just take 3. 4 is way too stressful. I am doing four and I've barely been in school for 6 weeks and the stress is getting to me.
Thanks for all your replies guys! Like you'll sadi, I'll probably take four than if it's too much i'll drop one of em

Quick Reply

Latest